PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 20 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

mooseontheloose
07-16-2010, 05:40 AM
A few more cards received...

JohnnyWalker's 'another John' -- I really like the detail in all the blacks, and his expression reminds me of my uncle, who is also a banjo player (but alas, not named John).

Kevin Kehler's farmhouse door has an incredible amount of detail that I'm sure many would miss given the larger picture.

Pete H's Norwegian APUG Gathering arrived today and I find my eye equally drawn to the clouds in the sky and the rocks below, as well as the guys in the distance. Nice tension all-around.

hoffy
07-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Howdy all,

I've been quite busy of late, but I have managed to get my prints done and went in the post today. A first for me, as I have stuck printed labels on my cards (apart from 3 or 4....thats when I got sick of hand writing them). Now people won't have to deal with reading my bad writing!

I have been receiving cards as well (in no particular order):

Mick Fagan Nancy - Wow, the detail, even on a 6x4. A very nice portrait.
DRPSilver Tafoni - Nice abstract and nice textures
PhotoJimFarm Buildings - As has been said by others, love the front to back detail. My kind of photo
MooseonthelooseZen Photographer - I just realised what this was! Haha, nicely seen!
LaurentFlowing Water - How long was the exposure? I am assuming those were some Lock gates. Fascinating photo
Steve BrownHeart & hound - I'll meet you there for a beer?
SlyUnderpass Graffiti - Wasn't expecting to see something like this! Made my wife take a double look. Unique (for me, at least)
FleathTram Stop - Quite impressed, considering the upgraded IE. Hope her feet didn't hurt too much!

Cheers and looking forward to seeing the rest!

ozphoto
07-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 3 this week:

> Photojim's "old barn" - love these types of images, always enjoy shooting them myself;
> Laurent's "Weed" - wish the weeds here looked so photogenic!;
> Pete H's "Pinhole" - have just bought a 35mm pinhole camera here and am itching to try it out! This has inspired me to do so soon.

PhotoJim
07-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I promised comments! :)

Alex Bishop-Thorpe - a good example of using pushing to good effect. Very moody. Love the choice of paper.
Kevin Kehler - I tend not to take close-ups as much as I should and this is a good example of a shot that could be found on some of the subjects I like to shoot... and yet I don't have a shot like this in my inventory. :) I love the way the texture of the door comes out in your print.
hwu - piano keyboard - Beautifully printed; I love the hint of blur. It makes me think that the pianist's spirit is there in the image.
Dave Martiny - Nice reportage-like image. I wonder what the subject is thinking - is he tired or does he feel despair?
Ari - This building is a photographer's dream - so many possibilities - but your low angle image is a new take on it for me. I need to get back to Quebec City :)
Mike C - Such dramatic light - it goes against my instinct to shoot such colourful conditions in black and white but the drama of the light is well captured in black and white. Great job.
Mick Fagan - A very interesting angle and a beautifully printed image.
Rachelle - I love the expression on the statue, and I love the printing. Square images are terrific with the right subject, like this.
Nige - Craig's Hut - A crisp, picture postcard image. Oh, wait - it actually is a postcard. Or at least it should be. Print a few thousand and get them in the Snowy River souvenir store right now. 20% for me for the idea? :)
DRPSilver - A natural object becomes abstract. I like when you have to think about what the photograph is about.
Ozphoto - I love the liquid in the air and dripping over the side. Also, this is a gorgeous colour print. The colour and contrast are spot on.
JohnnyWalker - Low key - you grab right onto John's face and banjo.
Laurent - A crisp image of the frost on the tendrils of plant growing through the deck (?) :) . Pan-F is a gorgeous film. (I used it on my postcard too.)
Rob Skeoch - Unfortunately Canada Post decided to double cancel this image on the image side (grr) - beautifully printed and evocative, even moreso when you know the story.
Lillian Sly - the first cyanotype I have ever held in my hands, and it's gorgeous.
Eugene Anikin - Somehow you turned figurines into a dramatic subject... and now you're making me google the "SLIMT technique". :)
Chris - "Indian Fast Food" - I love this shot - and I like the slightly warm tone you got out of the paper. Matte paper is perfect for this shot, too.
Steve Brown - "Heart & Hand Pub" - I have to stop here when I get to Brighton. Such a simple image, but it's all it needs to be. Terrific.

I can't wait to get the rest... thanks all!

Jim

mike c
07-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Got Pete,s really close up of eyeball and face,great work with a Pin Hole camera.
Great photo of a Haitian worker by Hannah,nice to see a younger family member take up with analog.Keep Rob on his toe's.
Mike

gurkenprinz
07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Received two cards last week:

Laurent: Absolutely beautiful photo - the long exposure makes it really interesting. I can imagine the sound of the water!
Pete H: I should say first that I love unusal street shots. But this one really gets me - You have turned an architecture shot into an almost abstract graphical picture - and then filled it with live! Wow!

Thanks to everyone whose card I got so far, and I am already looking forward to the next ones!

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
07-19-2010, 03:13 AM
More Postcards! I never do get tired of these. 4 more this time...turns out the people at the post office are getting a kick out of them too, the lady behind the counter commented on them today.

Kevin Kehler - A whole lot of texture in this, I like the rust around the doorknob best, where it meets the timber. Lovely subtle tones, and I like the angle.
Eugene (Anikin) - Colour postcards always catch my eye, and I do regret not making the effort to make postcards when I had access to my school's devoted colour darkroom. A lovely composition and very interesting figures. I like the chap on the right best.
Ashley (Hoffy) - I was wondering when I'd get yours mate ;) I've seen a few of these fliers on Hindley street too. I love the depth of field and the simple composition, great control of contrast. Really punchy photo.
Pete H. - This one throws me a little, initially it wasn't the most interesting of the bunch to me because it was out of focus, I kinda skipped past it to Hoffy's, but the more I look at it the more interesting it gets. Great sense of motion for quite a still subject...The flash of white in the eyes really does it for me.

johnnywalker
07-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I've received a few more cards:
PhotoJim's old farm building in Saskatchewan. I love taking pictures of old buildings like this, and this is the kind of picture I aspire to.
Darwin's picture of the weathered rocks - great tones, composition and subject. I have a vague memory of having seen rocks like this at one time, but can't remember where. Reminds me a bit of coral.
Lillian Sly's Cyanotype of the footbridge. The texture of it is wonderful. I've only seen cyanotypes on the internet and if memory serves they're all a cyan colour. Was it cyan before the tea toning? In any case, it's just beautiful.

kraker
07-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Two cards received since my last update:

Pete H, Oslo Opera House. Very interesting shot, my eyes get drawn into the picture. Strong, geometrical shapes and (tiny) people, a nice combination.
Rob Skeoch (with credits to Hannah), Haitian worker. Razor sharp print, a great documentary shot. Would love to see more of this. (That is, assuming there is or will be a series on the subject.)

I'm wondering... some cards seem to reach their destinations so fast... I've put mine in the mailbox ten days ago, but I haven't yet read about any "sightings" of them here. I really hope at least some of you have received it by now, I hope they're not stuck in a mailbag somewhere. :confused:

sly
07-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Kraker - your card hasn't shown up yet on the west coast of Canada, but I'll keep my eye out and let you know.

John - cyanotypes are indeed blue. Teatoning (or toning with other stuff like gallic acid) changes the colour.

Patrick Latour
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Ok, time for an update:

Pete H: Opera house, the angle is interesting, after few seconds, if it was not of the peoples, you would not be sure if the picture is upside down or upright.

kraker: Infrared, always a pleasure to see, love the surrealism of the ambiance. The paper is also a great addition to this image.

Rob / Hannah: I look at the picture, then I look at my 50 something cards ready to be mailed, and I put them in the trash bin. I was not proud of my prints, and was thinking about doing a reprint for the last days, they look so bad compared to all the ones I received and your card helped me to take my final decision. It is so sharp and tones are fabulous, it is the kind of image I like. She did a great job on it...

Back to the darkroom now...:(:(

Pete H
07-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Lots to comment on :)

Anikin's very amusing Napoleon chess set. I'm always impressed by people who print in colour - I can't even get B&W right. I must admit that my mental picture of Josephine is not quite the same as the figure in the chess set ;)

It's great to get alt process prints in the exchange. Sly's Colliery Dam footbridge is the first tea-toned cyanotype I've seen. The brush marks, paper texture, and torn edges all work together with the toning so I'm expecting to see someone in Victorian clothes appear at the end of the bridge. Thanks for the hard work, Lillian!

PhotoJim's farm building. The thin upper clouds and the grass form a nice spiral which takes the eye into the middle where it looks as if the tree is supporting the building.

Kraker's Lily pond. The tonality is just so beautiful combined with the IR effect. We're honoured to get your Brovira, Jacco!

Another John from JohnnyWalker. Perfectly exposed and printed to show the shadow details at the same time as every detail of his face.

Laurent's frosted wood and grass. I like the contrast between the made-man straight lines and the natural curves.

LikeMarlonBrando's carriage driver. The carriage behind frames the driver and horse's head nicely.

Kevin Kehler's old door. Are there so many derelict farm buildings in Canada? PhotoJim gave us the overall view, and now Kevin goes in close for the detail. As others have said, the texture is really special.

Labcoat - you managed to get in very close but the birds don't seem too bothered. It makes a nice family scene.

Rob Skeoch and Hannah: The direct look, centred subject and angle of view seem to convey a lot about the worker, and the building and steps give it a strong composition. Excellent!

Thanks to everyone. :)

Pete

kraker
07-22-2010, 02:51 AM
Patrick and Pete, thanks for your comments. Good to know that my cards have started to arrive at their destinations.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
07-22-2010, 05:40 AM
One more today

Rob Skeoch (Hannah) - I recognised your print from the last exchange I was in, round #17. Not the same photograph mind you, but the same style. Maybe it's the "Zeiss look" ;) but yours is always one of the favorites when I show people my postcards. I read the back and was surprised to see it was taken by your daughter, the style is quite similar. Or I'm just not too good at recognising style.
A lovely photograph, and the wider angle lens really works for this. Great angle and fantastic tones, especially in his jeans. A lot of individual elements that tie it all together, I like the symbol on the hat. Fantastic shot and masterfully printed - what more can you ask for. I imagine it'll be a favorite of this round as well.

Rob Skeoch
07-23-2010, 03:53 PM
You guys are too kind.
-Rob Skeoch

mooseontheloose
07-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Two more cards this week -- Hoffy's close-up of cut-logs really emphasizes the texture and grain of the bark, and Rob Skeoch's/Hannah's postcard of the Haitian worker is a great example of environmental portraiture that I would like to be able execute half as well.

hwv
07-25-2010, 06:49 AM
I Have received two more postcards during the last two weeks:
Rob's photo taken by his daughter. I's great that she is working as an aid worker, and it's also great that she is taking photographs on traditional film.
Pete's Pinhole from Norway. Nice pinhole. While watching it, I have a good mind to take a picture with my capuccino cam again.
Until now, I've received 10. I'm looking forward for those still on their way.

Btw, here is a little "making of" video of my postcard.
http://www.apug.org/forums/video.php?do=viewdetails&categoryid=14&categorytitle=darkroom&videoid=81&videotitle=circular-motion-squared-mov

mike c
07-26-2010, 04:04 PM
OUCH!! Just received Slumry's card.At first look a pain shoot threw both my upper and lower gum line.You aren't a Dentist are you Stephen ,this card is shockingly cool .Going to show it to my Dentist.

Allen Friday
07-27-2010, 12:00 PM
I finally got all the film developed, picked out the image for the exchange and printed it last night. The cards are drying and will be ready to mail starting tomorrow.

Just like last round, I will be sending a typical Iowa image.

Allen

MattKing
07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
I’ve previously commented on nine cards. Since then, cards from 2 more APUGers have come in:

Rob Skeoch/Hannah- “Haitian Worker” - excellent and intriguing - like father, like daughter :)
Pete H. - “Norwegian APUG Gathering” - I too really like rocks!

11 down, 17 to go :)

Thanks to everyone for participating.

PS - mine are printed, spotted and labelled, and the cards addressed to Canadian APUGers are in the mail. The rest will follow shortly.