PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 20 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

lorirfrommontana
07-28-2010, 11:01 AM
WooHoo! Got my cards printed last night. Just need to spot of few of them, get them labeled and will send on Friday (payday!). Sorry I'm so late this round.

labcoat
07-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I finally sent out my last batch of cards on Saturday. I made four batches from different negatives - I just couldn't deceide on a single phicture.

So far I have received ten really neat cards. This round I'm actually going to write comments, but I'll put those in my next post.

Nige
07-29-2010, 12:49 AM
just sitting here looking at Steve Browns postcard and thought... wonder if the googlecar had been past...

link (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=upper+gardiner+street,+brighton,+uk&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=44.827308,78.310547&ie=UTF8&hq=upper+gardiner+street,&hnear=Brighton,+East+Sussex,+United+Kingdom&ll=50.825876,-0.139406&spn=0,0.002248&t=k&z=20&layer=c&cbll=50.82579,-0.139441&panoid=Boxfs1ZRjzH2pRcmsfHohQ&cbp=12,288.91,,0,7.01)

although for some reason when clicking on that you get a very low res pic... google "upper gardiner street, brighton, uk" and zoom right in to streetview

MattKing
07-30-2010, 12:13 PM
I’ve previously commented on eleven cards. Since then, cards from 2 more APUGers have come in:

slumry - “Unwise #7, a self portrait” - ouch!
MattKing - “Fender (or is it Drop Earing)” - seems to have survived the postal service without injury

12 down (plus my own), 16 to go

Thanks to everyone for participating.

PS - I've now mailed the rest of my cards - the USA and international ones - all from a post office in the USA

KWhitmore
07-30-2010, 02:05 PM
My cards are finally ready for the post office. Thanks to everyone I've received cards from so far...they've all been pretty fantastic. :-)

mooseontheloose
08-03-2010, 01:49 AM
So glad APUG is back and we can get back to business!

Two cards arrived in the past week:

slumry's "Unwise #7, a self portrait" -- kind of creepy, but well-done, and I'm sure there's an interesting story behind it!

Black Dog's "All Informed Moment" -- a nicely captured casual moment.

Laurent
08-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Now it's time to ask Laurent...

Some see frozen weed, some (I) see water, frozen in time by the photographer. Did you send two different cards, or can you enlighten us what it really is are looking at?

Sorry for the long delay (and may be for other questions later in the thread) I've been away with no connection for 3 weeks and then there were APUG updates...

As you guessed, I sent two different cards : one is a frozen catway on a pond, with frozen weeds poking through. The other one is a ship lock with some water leaking between the doors, and a long exposure to keep the water fuzzy...

Thanks all for you nice comments, I'll comment later on the 12 cards received while I was away !

Cheers
Laurent

ignatiu5
08-03-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks to those who created the wonderful cards that I have received so far; lots of inspiring stuff.
Mine went out on Monday.

Cheers,
ignatiu5

Tim Gray
08-03-2010, 10:06 AM
I've been a slacker this round. However 60 cards were printed on Sunday and as soon as I get them labeled and can get to the PO, I'll send them out. I've received a lot of great postcards this round. This might be one of my favorite rounds so far - a lot of variety in the subject matter, printing technique, format, etc.

Mick Fagan
08-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Well I think I have a world first!

The last week I received a card from likemarlonbrando, fine, looked good, felt funny, put it on the pile as I have been super busy with work and other things.

Well it turns out that there were two prints stuck together, not really stuck together, the edges on two diametrically opposed corners were slightly bent up, which held the two cards together, all the way from the USA to Australia.

So I have two prints of the same thing.

My print was underneath, so my address was the one the postal people and machines saw, it was also the one with the postage mark from the USA system stamped onto the card and postage stamp.

Quite incredible!

I now intend to purchase an Australian postage stamp, place it alongside the USA postage stamp (which is unmarked) and send it to France.

So the person who lives in Chateauneuf Sur Loire, France is going to have a quite special postcard.

Mick.

Ps:- The card has a horse and cart/taxi and presumably the driver standing alongside on it. Quite a nice scene.

PPs:- I know your printing is good as both prints are identical in every aspect.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
08-08-2010, 12:58 AM
More postcards to comment on, I'm deterimined to keep it up for the whole exchange.

Andrew (Oxleyroad) - I liked this one as soon as I pulled it out of the mail box. A tremendous sense of concentration on his face, and he clearly knows what he's doing. Lots of detail, and a nice range of tones that reminds me of fishing trips on overcast days up the murray when I was little (I distinctly remember falling in and getting my dinosaur pajamas wet - mum wasn't impressed).
A photo you're both sure to treasure for years to come.

Jacco (Kraker) - Aha! I havent gotten any IR photos yet in this exchange - I love it. A brilliant otherworldly glow, and the paper is just gorgeous. It feels so alien but warmly inviting. Brilliantly executed infrared image, and masterful use of your tools. I was quite flattered to find your kind comments on my own postcard written on the back - Thank you very much, and I think it's the first time I've received a personal message in these exchanges.

Jake (BlackDog) - Very gritty image, and I like the balance of the soft leaves with the rough post on the left. There's something to be said for good solid composition - I'm sorry Australia Post printed a barcode over most of the leaves. Technology for you.
And I dig the Dylan reference.

Stephen (Slumry) - Ahh, this reminds me of when my eldest sister got her wisdom teeth removed, and insisted on keeping them in a little jar on the coffee table and showing them to everyone she could. I never really got why, but teeth DO have an oddly appealing texture, and especially in this photo. I've let this sit on the coffee table for a little whole too, and I really like how the pearl finish of the paper works with it. Solid composition, excellently printed, and makes me just slightly uncomfortable. Makings of a great image.

Rich (LikeMarlonBrando) - The Bessa III, one of those cameras I've lusted over late at night - I would never have expected I'd get a postcard from one, considering how few there seem to be in the world. I love this guys expression, and the punchy, slightly high contrast. The horse seems perfectly disinterested, he seems a bit skeptical, and all the stuff going on in the background just makes me think there's been some weird car vs. carriage carnage. Gorgeous little photo.

Laurent
08-08-2010, 02:31 AM
This is a very good story, Mick. I guess "the person living in Chateauneuf-sur-Loire, France" will be very happy to receive this card ;) and this is good for your karma !

I finally take the time to comment on the cards I received for this round...

Rob Skeoch's Haitian worker. The subject is very moving, thanks for this !

Andrew Carson's Oxleyroad. This is a lovely shot of your son fishing, and I guess he (and you) will cherish it for years ! The timing is well chosen !

Kraker's IR shot. I love IR landscapes, and this one is a very good one !

Eugene Anikin's Napolean chess set. The second card in color I receive, and very humorous (may be the fact that it makes me think of a certain short president has something to do with that :D)

Labcoat's goose and goslings : very intriguing the first time I saw it, and I still like this one.

Kevin Kehler's door knob. The wood aspect and structure is fascinating and very well rendered.

Pete H's Oslo opera house. The lines and perspective make the view very attracting, and the people converging to the same area gives some dynamic to this image.

David James Lee's view of the Louvre museum The lines of the pyramid and the shapes of the umbrealls make this almost abstract, and the black border really ads to the image.

Hoffy's "Subject to flooding" : the light is great and I love the details of the foreground

Black dog's "Informal moment". I don't know who the people are, but they seem to share a very intimate moment. As for Rob Skeoch's worker, this makes me care about the people, well done !

Slumry's "Self portrait" : well, what can I say ? May be I share your pain ;) I guess the picture made you fell better about these teeth ! More seriously, the symetric composition makes this a nice image.

JohnnyWalker's "Man in Black". The low key is great, and makes this a very nice image !

MattKing's "Fender". I understand why you wife wanted you to call this "Drop Earing". The limites DOF makes the first fender "stand" in front of the image, and the second one adds dynamic to the image.

And ,finally, Crispin's Time machine. My first Minox view, the grain makes it look antique, which is well suited to the image. Were you in the soldiers crowd ?

Thanks to you all, the round is a great one (again !)

Laurent

Mick Fagan
08-08-2010, 02:57 AM
This is a very good story, Mick. I guess "the person living in Chateauneuf-sur-Loire, France" will be very happy to receive this card ;) and this is good for your karma !
Laurent

Laurent, the person who lives in Chateauneuf-sur-Loire, France,:D will get a hand stamped post certification, I intend to go to my local post office, where I know the people there very well as I spend a lot of money there every day with my business. My intention is to ensure that the Australian postage stamp, is the only one stamped.

By the way my card is marked 11/30 and the one to Chateauneuf-sur-Loire, France, is marked 9/30.

I have other cards but I will remark on them later in the week, been in the darkroom for most of the day and need a fresh mind to make remarks.

Mick.

david James lee
08-08-2010, 03:11 PM
thank you very much Laurent. i was worried that the postcards never reached their destination or/and that nobody liked them. i value your comments. merci.

mooseontheloose
08-09-2010, 07:18 AM
I received MattKing's "Fender" which, yes, I agree, could be called "Drop Earring". Something about it reminds me of Christmas decorations as well. I really like this one!

Also in the mail this week was Crispin's "time machine" which has a great gritty look to it (love that grain!). Feel bad for those guys in the armour though - hope it wasn't too hot a day!

Well, I'm off to the Philiippines for a few weeks so here's hoping the rest of the postcards for this exchange will be waiting for me in the mailbox when I return! ;)

mike c
08-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Have two cards here,Crispins Time Machine if I where old enough I'd be able to say "That's just how it was"
Also Allen Friday's beautiful Grand Canyon,love that place.

kraker
08-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Fleath, Laurent and others, thanks for your comments.

I have received four more cards since my last update:

slumry, Unwise #7. Just too scary, this. It's a nice shot, that's for sure, but scary.
Black Dog, Luss Hills 2. Nice "layered" shot, and lovely paper as always.
crispinuk, Time machine. Wow. This is the first Minox postcard I have ever received. It really works well for the subject. Nice!
Allen Friday, Grand Canyon. Nice contrast between the fore- and background.

MattKing
08-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks Laurent and Rachelle, for the kind words. My wife thanks you for agreeing with her.;)

I’ve previously commented on 13 cards (including my own). Since then, cards from 2 more APUGers have come in:

Black Dog - “An Informal Moment” - a nice vignette - contemplative in two generations
CrispinUK - “Time Machine” - it looks like it was shot using one!

14 down (plus my own), 14 to go - we are 1/2 way!

Thanks to everyone for participating.

Alex Bishop-Thorpe
08-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Two more postcards today:

Crispin - "Time Machine" - Like others, my first minox print. I'm very impressed by the level of detail, I wouldnt have expected that from the format. I really dig the kind of blurry/sharp border to the print as well, it adds to the effect for me. Great compositon, and really curious subject matter. I cant stop looking at it, and I can only think how heavy that fourth guy's armour looks. I love how the sky is rendered in kind of a gritty hunk of grain. It really does feel like some eerily time travel. Thank you for sharing this.

Matt King - "Fender' - As I sit in the kitchen on my office chair (nobody else is home, so I wont get in trouble for this) having a cup of tea and eating a biscuit, I find myself, thousands of miles away, looking at your postcard. What a strange world we live in - I might get another biscuit soon.
This one seems kinda familiar, and I've been stuck in a few books on Harold Cazneaux recently, so I think I've traced it back to this image [here] (http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an13117374). Back to yours though - I really like the reflection of the second thing in the background (I'm betraying my lack of nautical knowledge now), that's where my eye went first. Great deal of detail on the fender in the foreground, and it really does seem oddly delicate. So another vote in your wife's favour, it could be a drop earing. The little reflections in the water make it for me though.

Laurent
08-10-2010, 05:35 AM
Howdy all,

I've been quite busy of late, but I have managed to get my prints done and went in the post today. A first for me, as I have stuck printed labels on my cards (apart from 3 or 4....thats when I got sick of hand writing them). Now people won't have to deal with reading my bad writing!

LaurentFlowing Water - How long was the exposure? I am assuming those were some Lock gates. Fascinating photo

As I said earlier, sorry for the forgotten question... the exposure was about 8 seconds IIRC, I do not record exposures on 35 mm. And yes, these are lock gates.

I received Allen Friday's Colorado River today. Makes me dream of the time when I'm able to pay the Grand Canyon a visit (last year was almost a possibility, but they cancelled my conference :( )