PDA

View Full Version : Lab setup

Photo Engineer
06-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Some have asked me how my lab is set up.

Here are 3 pics to show some of it. More may come later.

1. Chemicals that do not need refrigeration. This includes surfactants and many dopants or doctors such as Cadmium Nitrate, Rhodium Chloride and Sodium Hydroxide. It includes solid chemicals behind the front row of dropper bottles of standard solutions.

2. Chemicals that need refrigeration such as Sensitizing dyes, Heavy metal solutions, Hardeners and some cold DW in the lower right corner. There is also a group of test films there ready for use in the lab.

3. Emulsions and test papers. There is Kodak Endura and Ilford MGIV there along with several cans of emulsions with double light tight plastic and double rubber bands in SS cans. There are two samples in light tight jars ready for shipping if needed. Some emulsions are a year old and some merely days old. The batches ranged from 100 g (small cans) to the bigger cans that were 500 g batches. The biggest cans contain up to 1 kg of blended emulsions that were tested to insure that blending was possible. Also on the top shelf is a small container of 10% gelatin for making test coatings or adjusting emulsions.

I hope this explains some of my work conditions to those who have asked.

PE

Christopher Walrath
06-08-2010, 08:33 PM
I think that first picture is my entire darkroom. When I'm not thinking.

alexhill
06-09-2010, 12:03 AM
I have seen paradise.. So many different chemicals and bottles :) The inner nerd just went into a comma ;)

Emulsion
06-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Many thanks PE. The photos are great!

Photo Engineer
06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
The photos only represent the actual lab area. There are 3 metal shelves in a storage area that contain a lot more bulk chemistry for both emulsion making and processing. Also, there are miscellaneous storage areas for glassware, tubing and hardware. Electronics are stored in another room. Processed film and proof sheets along with albums are stored in another area. Cameras are all over the house. ;)

PE