PDA

View Full Version : APX 400

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

ADOX Fotoimpex
06-16-2010, 03:36 AM
http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX_Films/page19/files/pan400-first-coating.jpg

As most of you probably know we are reintroducing a new and updated version of (...the film which once was known as...) APX 400 this year.

It will be called ADOX PAN 400.

We have a "First Coating" version in confectioning which will be sold at a special introductory price. This film differs slightly from the final product (not quite were we wanted it) but compared to currently fluctuating 5 year old Agfa Leverkusen film it is actually better.

The final ADOX PAN 400 is due to be coated in July with an expected market introduction in Juli/August.
ADOX PAN 400 will be released in 35m and (if nothing goes wrong now) 120.
Sheetfilms will follow later when our confectioning line is installed in Bad Saarow.

Buying the "First Coating" version helps us to finance the rest of the project.
There is a thread in our house-forum where customers have tested the film and uploaded images.
It can be found here: http://www.fotolaborforum.eu/index.php?showtopic=2259

Hereīs the link to the ADOX PAN 400 website which contains more detailed informations:

http://www.adox.de/english/ADOX_Films/ADOX-PAN-400/PAN400.html

Best regards,

Mirko

ozphoto
06-16-2010, 05:56 AM
Fantastic news Mirko. I really loved (and miss) the Agfa APX 100 & 400 emulsions - looking forward to getting my hands on some to try out.:)

Ed Sukach
06-16-2010, 06:11 AM
I'll second that!
APX 100 was sorely missed, with APX 400 a close second.
I work, mainly, with 120 .. so I'll be waiting - eagerly!

w9cae
06-16-2010, 06:51 AM
I hope there are plans to send some ADOX film down to Australia, seeing the old AGFA is still available if one looks.

ninjarider
06-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I will buy some as soon as it becomes available! Good news!

JLP
06-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Exiting news Mirko. Although i don't think i will be buying film for the 35 and 120 format it is great to see a new film enter the marked. I will eagerly await the introduction of Adox Pan 400 in sheet film.
Keep up the good work.

df cardwell
06-16-2010, 07:42 AM
This is wonderful news.

BIG QUESTION: the last version of APX 400 changed the film,
so that Rodinal required 30 minutes of development instead of 11 !!!!!!!!!!!

What is YOURS ???

d

ADOX Fotoimpex
06-16-2010, 01:04 PM
30 Minutes in Rodinal 1+25 ???

Hmm I never heard this before.
We use 10 Minutes at 20 deg. C for comparison tests but the final product (because it is higher in effective speed) might end up between 10 and 13 minutes.

The First Coating comes best at about 11 Minutes.

Are you sure your Rodinal is OK ?

Best regards,

Mirko

Thomas Bertilsson
06-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Mirko,

That's exciting news! I wish you all the luck with this project. Unfortunately I have switched to Kodak Tmax films; if I was still looking for my dream film I would have gone with your 400 film no doubt.

(I'm pretty sure Cardwell uses Rodinal at 1+50, but don't hold me to that. :) )

- Thomas

clayne
06-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Mirko,

That's exciting news! I wish you all the luck with this project. Unfortunately I have switched to Kodak Tmax films; if I was still looking for my dream film I would have gone with your 400 film no doubt.

(I'm pretty sure Cardwell uses Rodinal at 1+50, but don't hold me to that. :) )

- Thomas

Thomas, why limit yourself to just a single line of films? Surely different films go better with different subjects. APX is classic, there's no reason not to buy a brick.

R gould
06-16-2010, 01:25 PM
That sounds great, when it is available in the U.K. I will certainly try it, if it is as good as the original agfa then it could become my film of choice,Richard

df cardwell
06-16-2010, 01:26 PM
"Are you sure your Rodinal is OK ?"

Yes, Mirko. How is yours ?

From AGFA Technical Data F-PF-E4
Date: 07/2003 4th edition (coinciding with the release of the final version of APX 400)

Please look at the attachments.

If that seems weird to you, it was REALLY a surprise to me (when my delivery of bricks and bricks of APX 400 arrived, and with the new design boxes.) It took precisely 30 seconds to open a box and see the development sheet, and to call AGFA USA and start waiting to talk to the tech guy. It took about a minute for him to get on the line to Germany.

And I shot precisely 1 roll of it, and the development data was correct. The old development time didn't make a dent in it.

So, which emulsion are you making ? And which base are you using. What era film is this ?

And do you understand why a few of us out here in Foto Land might be curious ???

CuS
06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
cant wait for its release - I'll have an order into freestyle as soon as I see it.

Are there plans/ideas/wishes to make an APX100 analogue as well?

I'm down to my last 100 ft roll of APX100

df cardwell
06-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Clayne: APX is classic, there's no reason not to buy a brick.

AGFA 400 was classic. Then it changed a couple times. Then it wasn't classic.

Which version the ADOX will be will be really interesting. Maybe it will be classic. I'll be skeptical until it is proven.
It will take a lot of assurance to undo the disaster the last stuff was.

d

Andrew Moxom
06-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Great news that a new yet familiar film is coming out, but yikes!! 30 mins in Rodinal 1:50 would seem like it would practically irradiate the film. I never used APX400 as I had problems with it and so used other films, but APX100, that was a different story and I'd buy a bundle of that.. Not sure why ADOX made APX400 take priority over the APX100 film?? APX100 was 'THE' film... I'd down tools and switch in a heart beat for that film to come back.

Thomas Bertilsson
06-16-2010, 01:47 PM
clayne, I get all I need from one film. No kidding. I like to keep it simple.

Andrew, I seem to remember that Mirko was interested in making APX 100 too, but that there is still plenty of it circulating at throw away prices (35mm), and that it doesn't make sense to try that until the old stock has diminished.

- Thomas

Thomas, why limit yourself to just a single line of films? Surely different films go better with different subjects. APX is classic, there's no reason not to buy a brick.

chriscrawfordphoto
06-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Clayne: APX is classic, there's no reason not to buy a brick.

AGFA 400 was classic. Then it changed a couple times. Then it wasn't classic.

Which version the ADOX will be will be really interesting. Maybe it will be classic. I'll be skeptical until it is proven.
It will take a lot of assurance to undo the disaster the last stuff was.

d

Those Dev. times you posted are crazy! 30 min. at 1+50, wow. I used to use APX 400 in college (10-15 yrs ago) and used 11 minutes at 1+50, EI-320. Great results. Can't imagine what they did to mess up this film so it needed 3 times the dev. time!

photo8x10
06-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Great News! Apx films was one my favourite... and I'm so happy to hear this news.
I hope to use them 100 & 400 expecially in sheet films early....

Stefano

clayne
06-16-2010, 07:23 PM
If I remember correctly, the lineage is generally this:

AP400 -> APX400(old) -> APX400(new [post 2002 or 5?])

With APX400(new) being the most hated. If this was modeled after APX400(old) then that's even more cool.

And yes DF, I was mainly referencing APX100 as that's what I prefer, but APX400 is not a total POS film or anything.

patrickjames
06-16-2010, 10:02 PM
I have been unhappy with all of the films I have tried since Agfa went under, so I am incredibly happy with this news. I loved APX 400. If the new film has even some of the characteristics of the old film I will be happy. This is great news! I can't wait to try it.