PDA

View Full Version : Camera shop recommendations in the Dallas area?

steelydam
06-25-2010, 09:57 PM
I just moved to Frisco, TX from San Antonio and would like to hear where people in the Dallas area go to buy film, paper, chemicals. I know all this can be bought cheaply online but I prefer to support a local store if possible. I do 35mm and medium format black and white and also look for shops with a decent used department for film cameras and lenses. The closer to home the better but I doubt I'll find much in Frisco/Plano so I'm willing to drive. Anybody have place(s) they can recommend? Thanks in advance...

rbender
06-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Not much available any more. I shop at Freestyle these days. You can check out,
Competitive Camera
Dallas Camera
Don's Photo Equipment
They each have a little of something. Make sure and check film exp. dates, most of the paper has been on the shelves for a long time. I get what I want in about 3 days from Freestyle.
There is also Arlington Camera and Fort Worth has a store but they are a bit of a drive. Good Luck.

Robert

steelydam
06-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Robert - thanks for your help.

David Brown
06-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Robert gave you the list. Competitive is probably OK for film. Arlington Camera is likely the best bet for darkroom.

skyrick
06-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Another vote for Arlington Camera. They've reduced their photo chemistry inventory a bit, but I can usually find what I'm looking for in the Kodak, Ilford and Edwal product lines.

steelydam
12-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Just a quick/late update - I have now been to all three of these places. Competitive Camera is a very well-stocked place for digital, pro/commercial etc. with knowledgeable staff but no longer carries film and has no dedicated used analog equipment section, at least when I was there. But if I was a working pro in this day and age, I'd definitely do business with them.

Don's is a cool place in its own way but basically just a mess (literally - disorganized piles!) of old used stuff - cameras, lenses, darkroom, and motion picture cams/projectors but they do sell the black & white films I use for a reasonable price. There is VERY little new camera equipment but oddly they had the full Zeiss lens line in stock for both Canon and Nikon - including the latest models compatible with the digital SLRs & prices were pretty much what you'd pay at one of the big internet places. "Todd" there was very helpful and let me take out several and handle them. They have a fair amount of b&w darkroom chemicals & paper from Kodak & Ilford - they actually still have boxes of Kodak b&w paper on the shelf which I know hasn't been made in a while. I checked to see if it was Ektalure (loved that stuff!) and when I saw it wasn't, I didn't pay more attention to what it was...maybe Polycontrast?

Arlington Camera - by far my favorite of all three, but a longer drive so I don't get there as much. Yes, they have all the latest/greatest digital stuff but their film and darkroom chemicals/paper sections are more extensive than I've seen in a small independent shop in quite some time. I went in at about 11:00 on a weekday and the place was bustling - nice to see. They had plenty of salespeople who seem to know their stuff and have a great customer service ethic.

My two cents...

David Brown
12-29-2010, 10:13 AM
I haven't been to Don's in a while. Don may have added the darkroom supplies when Competitive (down the street) stopped stocking anything. I'll check it out.