PDA

View Full Version : Round-2 "Group" Print Exchange

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

John McCallum
07-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Last call for round 2. I will draw the groups this weekend.

Thanks!!

JimIt's a bit of a long haul to New Zealand but if you guys don't mind that, and there's room, pls count me in :)

Sent some prints recently to the Sates and they only took 3-4 days door to door (though the longer cheaper option might be preferable).

Jim Moore
07-28-2004, 07:57 PM
The Official Round Two List:

KenM
Aggie
Alex Hawley
jtsatterlee
Ole
Nige
Jim68134
JMoore
dlin
galyons
photomc
David A. Goldfarb
bmac
L Gebhardt
mobtown_4x5
Jeremy Moore
Mateo
Leon
Shesh
rogueish
David Vickery
John McCallum
Jon Shiu

Jim Moore
07-31-2004, 11:30 PM
Groups for round #2. I think there might be a couple of people that will end up swapping with someone they had for the last exchange. If this does not work for you please let me know.

Prints may be sent out anytime between now and the last week of September.

I will get a list of addresses sent out to everyone by the middle of the week.

Thanks Everyone!!

Jim

Group 1:
------------------
mobtown_4x5
dlin
Jim68134
Shesh

Group 2:
------------------
Alex Hawley
John McCallum
Aggie
JMoore

Group 3
------------------
Nige
Mateo
Jon Shiu
photomc

Group 4
------------------
jtsatterlee
Ole
galyons
David A. Goldfarb

Group 5
------------------
KenM
bmac
David Vickery

Group 6
------------------
rogueish
Jeremy Moore
L Gebhardt
Leon

Jim Moore
08-10-2004, 01:07 PM
I still need addresses for:

Mateo
Jon Shiu
David Vickery

Thanks!

Jim

John McCallum
08-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi Jim,

Still need your address as well.

thanks,
John McC.

Jim Moore
08-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Hi Jim,

Still need your address as well.

thanks,
John McC.

:p

rogueish
08-11-2004, 06:47 AM
I think my packing could take a nuclear blast and survive.

I think I'm a little sorry not to be in Aggies group, I'd like to see the shipping vault...
Any suggestion/tips on packaging? Material to avoid? I'm not to worried about extreme explosions, but do think about scratches/scrapes in the emulsion. A waxed paper over the print, placed between cardboard, then wrapped with plain brown paper?

Timothy
08-11-2004, 08:01 AM
I would like to get involved with this project too, probably next time around. In the meantime I see that Rogueish lives close by my area. Please email me so that we can arrange to get together when the "package" is in this area because I would really like to see it.
Thanks,

Tim R

rogueish
08-16-2004, 06:24 AM
My prints are finished and I am happy with them.
I am a little concerned with packaging. I was thinking of sandwiching between 2 pieces of corrigated cardboard and wrapping with with plain brown kraft paper and sending through the post office.
Sound OK? Any tips/hints/suggestions? Even a flame :o would be welcome at this point...

photomc
08-16-2004, 07:21 AM
rogueish,

Now stop that, I haven't even started and won't for a couple of weeks. As to shipping, the sandwich will work, however the corners could get a little banged up - at least with the US Postal folks. If mounted, I would add extra to the corners to help protect it. Last round I used some nice boxes,with packing material around the print, but it gets pretty pricey to ship then.

Good luck

David A. Goldfarb
08-16-2004, 08:37 AM
I like the way that West Coast Imaging ships prints. They put each print in a plastic sleeve with an archival interleaving sheet over the face of the print inside the sleeve. The sleeve is taped to an oversized sheet of corrugated cardboard, and then there is another sheet of corrugated behind that, and two on top, for a total of four sheets (if they are returning disks, transparencies or negs, they go between the two top sheets), and the whole package is enclosed in a cardboard box cut to fit.

For small prints, I think 4 sheets of corrugated inside a corrugated box is probably overkill, so I tend to use two sheets inside a box or envelope, with the print (mounted or unmounted) in a sleeve.

mobtown_4x5
08-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I found last time that the folks who shipped prints in any type of flat configuration always ended up with creases.(Esp. if you write "do not bend" on the outside- that's as good as bending it yourself!)

The one non-bent print I received was in a BOX.

Just an observation...

Matt

Aggie
08-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Mine were not boxes, but I doubt that anyone could have bent my mailings very easily. I use depending on the thickness of the cardboard 2 to 3 oversized sheets of cardboard that I have sandwiched around the print, then duct tape the edges all the way around.

Jim Moore
08-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Mine were not boxes, but I doubt that anyone could have bent my mailings very easily. I use depending on the thickness of the cardboard 2 to 3 oversized sheets of cardboard that I have sandwiched around the print, then duct tape the edges all the way around.

This is what I do too. I haven't had anyone tell me their prints arrived damaged.

I've also heard that you can cut a couple of pieces of 1/8" paneling slightly oversized. It's light and won't bend.

Jim

rogueish
08-16-2004, 01:51 PM
What about mailing tubes? The ones that are 5-8 cm (2-3 inches) dia. and made from cardboard. I remember seeing a lady in my old town receive them occasionally.

Aggie
08-16-2004, 01:57 PM
I sent mine dry mounted onto archival board with a second board that could be cut if they wished to.

rogueish
08-26-2004, 01:42 PM
I sent my prints out, but it seems I forgot to put my info sheet in with them :o
Opps sorry! I will "PM" the group I'm in later tonight. Leon already got his (a record time for Canada Post) so the others should get theirs shortly as well.
Even Mr. Moore who is across the pond in a little place called Kent.

Jeremy
08-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Arg, too fast! I'm in your group and I have the photo I'm going to use, but nothing printed yet. I'll just have to get to work this weekend!

Actually, Leon is the one in Kent, I'm way down here in Texas :)

rogueish
08-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Even Mr. Moore who is across the pond in a little place called Kent.
Uuummm....
Opps sorry (again) hehee it seems Mr. Moore actually lives in Texas, and it is actually Leon who lives in Kent.
Hmmm faster across an ocean to England then next door...

KenM
09-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Prints to my three guys were mailed out today. Sorry for the delay guys.