PDA

View Full Version : Englewood Camera Club...

Pages : [1] 2

toro_mike
07-12-2010, 05:29 PM
So that thread (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum48/78968-internet-photography-fora-land-based-camera-clubs.html)about photography clubs being deaf, dumb and blind to analog photography got me thinking about my local club, which I've never been to - the Englewood Camera Club (http://www.englewoodcameraclub.net/). It appears, at least according to their website, as if they are not deaf, dumb and blind to analog photography at all, but again, I have never gone. So, their monthly meeting is tomorrow night and I am seriously thinking of going over to check them out. As all of my friends are digital nuts and don't understand what all those red lights in the basement are for, I think I need some new friends!

If anybody here are members and will be there tomorrow night, I'll be the lost soul :). Otherwise, I'll report back on how it goes.

Mike

toro_mike
07-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Well, I went last night. They are a great group of people, though, of course, they are 100% digital. I am apparently now known as "the black and white guy." I didn't enter anything into their competition nor bring any samples, but I may next month. I was thinking something to blow their minds - the theme is night shots - so maybe some Delta 3200 processed and enlarged to bring out the grain big time. A night shot really would lend itself to this. That might be fun. I'm really not sure how they would react. I have a month to think about it :)

One BIG plus, I walked out with a box of darkroom gear one of the guys was getting rid of (an old Pyro guy). Mostly easles, developing canisters (another AGFA tank!), slide components, graduated beakers, tongs, etc. He said I probably owe him something for all that, but then said JUST TAKE IT. So, that's great! I can always use more darkroom stuff! That in itself is enough reason to join for at least a year, and then decide from there.

toro_mike
07-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Okay, I can't be the only one down here doing analog? So, where is everybody? Are you guys in the Denver Photographic Society? Or not in any? Or not in the southern suburbs? Or already turned off by the club(s)?

Just looking to see why we are so inactive as a group. Well, there was some activity before I came about, so maybe it just didn't work.

Thanks!
Mike

mathomas
07-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Hi,

Another Mike here. Hey, you never know, I might show up at a club meeting sometime. I'm not much of a club guy, but I realize that going to club meetings and doing projects does help to keep one's photo juices flowing. I've been shooting (& dev/scanning) film a lot lately (started photography in the 70's), so you wouldn't be a complete loner :). On the other hand, I shoot quite a bit of digital too.

Maybe we can get together to shoot sometime, if you like. I shoot in downtown Littleton quite a bit. What are your fave spots?

later...

Nikkorray
07-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi Mike,

Well... I'm up in Thornton so Englewood is a bit far for me. I do have a darkroom that I haven't touched in a while but looking forward to getting back into it again. I don't know if I have time for group meetings since my schedule has been wacky lately. I would like to attend a club meeting one of these days but I probably won't make it until the fall season.

Ray

PS - Every month, Illuminate Workshops holds a night photowalk that's really. You may want to look into that if you like night shooting.

toro_mike
07-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi,

Another Mike here. Hey, you never know, I might show up at a club meeting sometime. I'm not much of a club guy, but I realize that going to club meetings and doing projects does help to keep one's photo juices flowing. I've been shooting (& dev/scanning) film a lot lately (started photography in the 70's), so you wouldn't be a complete loner :). On the other hand, I shoot quite a bit of digital too.

Maybe we can get together to shoot sometime, if you like. I shoot in downtown Littleton quite a bit. What are your fave spots?

later...

Hi Mike. Good to hear of another shooter down here. I was never a club person either, but have decided to give it a chance. We'll see how I feel in a year after hanging out with all digital shooters. The goal, I guess, is to get photography more in my rediculously busy life and break out of this slump I'm in.

Definitely PM me as it would be great to get out with a like-minded person. I've not been out much lately, but the industrial parts of Englewood have been my haunts.

Mike

toro_mike
07-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi Mike,

Well... I'm up in Thornton so Englewood is a bit far for me. I do have a darkroom that I haven't touched in a while but looking forward to getting back into it again. I don't know if I have time for group meetings since my schedule has been wacky lately. I would like to attend a club meeting one of these days but I probably won't make it until the fall season.

Ray

PS - Every month, Illuminate Workshops holds a night photowalk that's really. You may want to look into that if you like night shooting.

Yeah, that would be quite a haul! The Broomfield Photo Club or Denver Photographic Society would make much more sense for you than the club down here, but at least at Englewood there is definitely one analog shooter.

I have heard of the night photowalk. I may try to get up there one of these days.

mrwestphal
07-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Hey Mike,
There are still some of us (ugh) film people out there as I am called by some of my (ICKY) digi friends.Yes I do own a digital camera but will never admit it and you can't prove anything!
I have often thought about joining the clubs but have such a busy life as it is, one more thing could only complicate things plus I live in Aurora so your club would be a little out of my way.
yea the get-to-gethers are hit or miss. I was part of the last one and there were only 5 of us. don't get me wrong, I met some great people but did hope for a bigger turn out.
Who knows,,,,, maybe I will show up with a great big 8X10 positive sheet of film and freak all them digi's in the club out!

have fun shootin'!

toro_mike
07-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey Mike,
There are still some of us (ugh) film people out there as I am called by some of my (ICKY) digi friends.Yes I do own a digital camera but will never admit it and you can't prove anything!
I have often thought about joining the clubs but have such a busy life as it is, one more thing could only complicate things plus I live in Aurora so your club would be a little out of my way.
yea the get-to-gethers are hit or miss. I was part of the last one and there were only 5 of us. don't get me wrong, I met some great people but did hope for a bigger turn out.
Who knows,,,,, maybe I will show up with a great big 8X10 positive sheet of film and freak all them digi's in the club out!

have fun shootin'!

Hello Douglas,
Yeah, we do all lead really busy lives these days. That's the major reason I am getting out and hanging with the ECC crew. It's only once a month with sporadic shooting outtings here and there.

They are digital, true, but the vast majority are retirement age and many shot film in the past, hence my obtaining a box of darkroom gear. We'll see how they handle my first submission to their competition next month. I am still stuck between two schools of thought here: 1. emphasize the grain big time and make it obvious who shot it (and hope they can appreciate good grain) or 2. make it hard for them to recognize my film print with the finest grain possible (maybe shoot 4x5).

We'll see, I'll update this thread with what I come up with.

Mike

markrewald
07-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Mark - From Aurora - I haven't been to an Englwood meeting in probably 5 or 6 years. Sorry to hear they are a primary digital group now. Let me know when you guys get out to do some shooting I would love to do some work in downtown Littleton. Getting bored of downtown Denver anyway. =)

toro_mike
07-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Mark - From Aurora - I haven't been to an Englwood meeting in probably 5 or 6 years. Sorry to hear they are a primary digital group now. Let me know when you guys get out to do some shooting I would love to do some work in downtown Littleton. Getting bored of downtown Denver anyway. =)

Indeed. Such a shame, but I'll show my stuff and see. That's all I can do as a film shooter.

We'll let you know. We need to firm up something anyway... Perhaps I'll create a new thread in this Denver Forum and see who else we can shake out.

mrwestphal
07-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Perhaps there might be a pub involved!?!?;)

toro_mike
07-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Perhaps there might be a pub involved!?!?;)

Ha, ha! I think that can be arranged!

toro_mike
07-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm going to start a new thread on this - I'll call it the Littleton Shoot to see if we can't garner up a bit more interest.

mathomas
07-23-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm going to start a new thread on this - I'll call it the Littleton Shoot to see if we can't garner up a bit more interest.

Sounds good. Thanks!

toro_mike
01-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Indeed. Such a shame, but I'll show my stuff and see. That's all I can do as a film shooter...

Just a quick (oh, maybe not!!) update regarding the ECC - I will not be renewing my membership. They have gone 100% digital, which I knew going into it, however, they are not remotely open (or friendly) to me being a film shooter.

This is my opinion only and I don't intend to badmouth this group. As a fan of analog, I'm sharing my observations with you all. Since this shows up on the first page of Google, I figured I'd better state that fact. If you are 100% digital and are a big fan of computer manipulation, you will get a lot more out of this group than I did (for the record, I am very experience in Photoshop and digital graphics design - it's a big part of my career).

* On day 1, new members were asked to introduce themselves. I became an instant outcast by stating I was a primarily B&W film shooter with a wet darkroom. Folks actually avoided talking to me... and, as those on here who know me can attest (I would hope), I am a very friendly and open person. I did not present myself as a film snob at all - I'm not, in fact, I do both film and digital and I stated this fact.

* A month didn't seem to go by when somebody wasn't complaining about how horrid it was during the film era. The key message - digital is the best thing ever to happen to photography. Yes, film is "harder" I guess, but it is not horrid.

* They won't bring in pros anymore to give talks/slideshows/presentations, but will instead focus on providing digital seminars (primarily Photoshop, Lightroom, and Silver Efex - or whatever software program or plug-in is hot that week).

* Finally, the format of the competitions. It is a silent affair, where the judge speaks only and after judging, most folks grab their stuff and leave. There is very, very little discussion on the good and bad points of the photographs and therefore, very little growth for me as a photographer, which was my primary goal.

Overall, it wasn't a wasted membership. I did come out with a heap of darkroom gear (for free) on two separate occasions. However, I came out very depressed that I couldn't find any kinship in a hobby that I love with this group. Be it digital or analog, there is still a lot of common ground. There may have been other factors at work, but I definitely did not feel welcomed nor did I gain anything photographically or personally.

Mike

mathomas
01-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Very odd that a photography/camera club would care what technology you use to produce a photograph. I'm not even sure what "gone 100% digital" could mean. You guys show up with prints, right? Not CD-ROMs or CF cards. Very, very odd. I'll vouch for your friendliness, so it can't be that.

My only theory as to your being "shunned" is that many in the club probably started photography after the digital revolution. Perhaps film makes members feel a bit uneasy because they perceive it as something on which they can't hold up their end of the conversation. And, whether you're friendly or not, maybe they expect you to think you're a little "above" them, and that makes them uneasy. Heck, they might feel the same if I showed up with my M8 and a prime lens, rather than a DSLR+zoom. At the other end of the scale, I wonder how they treat people that show up with a 6mp Canon Elph?

OK, enough pop psychology. I guess they should change their name to the EDCC.

Their loss.

mathomas
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Just struck me: Of course, if we wanted to have real fun, several of us could show up to a meeting with film cameras. Then you wouldn't be outnumbered :).

toro_mike
01-03-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree with you Mike. They do have a digital entry class, which are emailed and projected, but the other two judging classes are color print and monochrome print.

I'm not sure what their reason is... the club has been around for over 50 years, and most (99% of the club are near retirement age or beyone) have been around during the 100% analog era. So, many were film photogs (I mean, artists!) in their past. It seems to be more of a digital snobbery, where they think using FILM is a step back, and THEY are superior. That is my impression anyway.

toro_mike
01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Just struck me: Of course, if we wanted to have real fun, several of us could show up to a meeting with film cameras. Then you wouldn't be outnumbered :).

That'd be a hoot. Though I doubt it'd make much of an impression. :whistling:

Mike