PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona next week

jfdupuis
07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi all,

I'm off to Barcelona for a conference next week and I took the two adjacent week-ends to enjoy the city. Flying Friday morning! I expect to have most of my evening free as well. I was therefore wondering if there were anything interesting happening photography-wise. Any good exhibition or must see ? I quite enjoy street photography, so do you have any recommendation where it might be interesting to start ?

thanks,

Jeff

AshenLight
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Hi Jeff,

Barcelona is an embarrassment of riches in the photography department. If you like street, take your camera and stroll down Las Ramblas... just the street performers alone are worth it. The architecture is amazing, especially the buildings Gaudi designed like Sagrada Famila and Guell (the park). In the Gothic quarter there is a cathedral (I forget the name) that you could easily spend a day at by itself. Enjoy your trip and please post some of your pictures!

Regards,
Ash

TheFlyingCamera
07-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Yes- enjoy Barcelona. I spent ten days there last year and burned through 30+ rolls of Reala. Las Ramblas is good for street shooting, as is Park Guell. Also good is the waterfront area around the Columbus monument. Take the tram up to Montjuic to get spectacular views of the city and the working port. Definitely stop in ARPI (the one closer to the bottom of Las Ramblas) and go up to their 6th floor camera museum. If you have a chance, take the tour of the Palau de la Musica (the Palau for short). The building is breathtaking, and if you have a chance, take in a concert while you're there. It is probably the most magical concert hall I've ever attended a performance in. Do be careful when wandering around with your camera - there are some neighborhoods very close to the Barri Gotic that are home to a large middle-eastern and north african immigrant population and they are quite suspicious of anyone walking around with a camera. That said, I never felt unsafe in all my ramblings through the city. One weekend, get a ticket for one of those hop-on, hop-off tour bus things - it's a handy way to get around the city and get to and from the major attractions on your own schedule.

I don't know what's showing right now, but look up MACBA (Museu d' Arte Contemporanea Barcelona) as a venue, and check out the fliers and postcards at ARPI.

Do go and eat once at Les Quatre Gats, if for no other reason than to say you sat in the same chairs that Picasso, Gaudi and Miro used, and to see their sketches and artwork on the walls. The food is quite good too, so it's worth it on its own merits.

jfdupuis
07-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestion made so far. It's always nice to have recommendation from other photography minded people. I'm so overwhelm by work that I have absolutely no time for trip planning beside this thread. I'll definitely print it out before jumping on the plane.

Well, Ash, it would be somewhat difficult to post some pictures in the short term. I don't have a scanner yet, so I do only wet prints. Scanning prints had been very disappointing so far on scanners that I have access to and are a shame compared to the original. Therefore, I'm not loosing my time on those. The only pictures that are likely to be seen on the net are the one made from a digital capture, but people here are not interested in those ;) So, better pass by Copenhagen to see the good stuff ;)

AshenLight
07-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion made so far. It's always nice to have recommendation from other photography minded people. I'm so overwhelm by work that I have absolutely no time for trip planning beside this thread. I'll definitely print it out before jumping on the plane.

Well, Ash, it would be somewhat difficult to post some pictures in the short term. I don't have a scanner yet, so I do only wet prints. Scanning prints had been very disappointing so far on scanners that I have access to and are a shame compared to the original. Therefore, I'm not loosing my time on those. The only pictures that are likely to be seen on the net are the one made from a digital capture, but people here are not interested in those ;) So, better pass by Copenhagen to see the good stuff ;)

I'd happily stop by Copenhagen! I'll be in Stockholm sometime before the end of the year, much closer than Massachusetts. In any case, enjoy your trip!

Regards,
Ash

perkeleellinen
07-14-2010, 05:25 PM
I found that the narrow streets running off Las Ramblas to the left and right were really interesting. You could get some really striking plays of light at the right times of day. The Joan Miró museum is worth the hike up the hill also.

jfdupuis
07-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I'd happily stop by Copenhagen! I'll be in Stockholm sometime before the end of the year, much closer than Massachusetts. In any case, enjoy your trip!

Regards,
Ash

If you ever stop by, I would happily find you a bike and show you the city ! If someone would really want to see "the good stuff", I would rather need to activate in the darkroom. Lately, the binder of contact sheets is growing, but not really the boxes of prints.

TheFlyingCamera
07-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Also, if you have time/inclination, the core of streets behind the Cathedral are fascinating, and that's where a lot of the art galleries are (mostly painting though). If you have an interest, in a tiny little street in that area is a little synagogue museum, one of the few vestiges of Barcelona's Jewish history. The space itself dates back to at least the 1300's, and may even have been used as such as far back as late Roman/early Visigothic times. Blink and you'll miss it, so check your map carefully.

jfdupuis
07-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Just back from Barcelona. I enjoyed the city very much. Didn't have as much time to shoot than I first expected as I worked a lot there. But anyway, I guess I managed to have some interesting photo. Weather was a bit too hot for my taste and the light was quite harsh most of the time. I was fortunate to have a day that was overcast to shoot people in the streets. I don't have a wide angle for my M3 and 50mm was quite long for getting good architectural shoot. After this week of shooting wide angle on the digital and street on the Leica, I'm really craving for a wide angle in M-mount to leave the other at home.

I would like to thank you all for your recommendations, they were really useful. Now, let go back to the office to site in front of a computer and rest my feet so they can have a chance of curing all the blister I got walking all over the city.

Jeff