PDA

View Full Version : If you sold everything...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Colin Corneau
07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Considering my last experience trying to sell something here, a headache.

ntenny
07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Oddly the stuff that I have that I enjoy using the most is worth the least, all of that is worth maybe $100 total and that includes support gear for it.

My experience too. I don't have anything that's worth very much---a nice Rolleiflex, a 9x12 Bergheil in beautiful shape, a Contax IIIa kit, together worth a few thousand dollars, are the comparatively big-ticket items---but the main workhorses are scale-focussing MF folders and a Canon AE-1, worth next to nothing on the open market.

I wouldn't get rid of it, of course---apart from the enjoyment value, a lot of these cameras have family history. The Rolleiflex and Contax came from my dad, who seems to be gradually unloading his considerable pile of film gear onto me; the Bergheil was the snapshot camera(!) of my great-grandfather, who was a serious LF landscape guy but kept what he considered to be a small-format camera in the trunk of the car in case he came across something unexpected; the AE-1 belonged to my late father-in-law and has been documenting my wife's side of the family for something north of thirty years.

I've still got the Rolleicord that was my first "real" camera (before that I had a 110 camera when I was really little, but it's now lost to history, although my sister says she came across some of the prints recently to her considerable amusement). It's usable but needs a CLA; I'm thinking it's the camera I'll pass along to my son if he eventually takes an interest in having a good film camera of his own. We'll see what happens.

-NT

benjiboy
07-21-2010, 12:46 PM
On further reflection the "Value" of my equipment is isn't what I can get for it, but what it does, It's a great thing to be happy with what you have, and I still have better equipment than I'm a photographer.

cfclark
07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
I think all of my equipment is worth about $2,000. But I have a very svelte collection, because I never believed gear would make me a better photographer, so I don't have a whole lot invested in it either.

- Thomas

I think I'd be in the neighborhood of what you have, and I'm trying to follow the same philosophy, despite seeing plenty of gear that I'd love to get my hands on (and at reasonable prices, too).

I am only allowed to have all the gear that I can fit into one camera case, and no more, my camera case is a footlocker size trunk with a few camera and film decals on it and has about 14 cameras in it. I was also informed that next time there will be stricter rules on the definition of "case".

A surplus U-Haul truck can be a case if you really think about it. :D

Q.G.
07-21-2010, 12:58 PM
On further reflection the "Value" of my equipment is isn't what I can get for it, but what it does, It's a great thing to be happy with what you have, and I still have better equipment than I'm a photographer.

I'm with you on that, Ben.
I get more value out of having and using the stuff than what it may fetch when i sell it all.

Consequently, i haven't the foggiest what it may all add up to.

Thomas Bertilsson
07-21-2010, 01:28 PM
You know, I actually sold almost everything. My collection of photo gadgets is really bare bones minimum, and in my future I see even less, so it'll be worth even less.
Hasselblad 500 with 80 and 150 lenses. Two backs. Light meter, tripod, a nice hood. Cable release.
6x6 pinhole camera.
Enlarger and darkroom stuff.
Epson V700 scanner and R2400 printer.

That's it.

alapin
07-21-2010, 01:50 PM
What would it be worth in dollars, I really don't know. If I sold everything (all 25 cameras of difference formats), I wouldn't have anything to enjoy the hobby I do now. There are not to many cameras I want or need, because the ones I still have still give me great photos. For the pass fifty plus years, I have tried all types of cameras. The ones I have ended up with are pretty much what I like shooting. So to put a dollar valve on them not very much (because it always depends on the current market), but as a personal valve, priceless.

MattKing
07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
I think some of the stuff I have would actually sell for more than I paid for it, because it was bought on Ebay when there were a lot more true bargains there.

I'm afraid that when I think of this my calculations inevitably end up not in $, but in stuff (if I sell camera body X, I could buy lens Y).

2F/2F
07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
This question is just me being curious...not saying that I am considering it, or that it really matters. Just a discussion opener.

As for me, these are probably the only things that are worth some money:

Sinar "reverse" (front P standard), DB shutter, and six DB and DBM lenses, in custom-built rolling wooden case - Maybe $2,000 if parted out, $1,200 to $1,500 if sold all together
Two Linhof Technica IIIs (version four, with drop bed), in original three-lens kits, one with an amazing period-custom-made (from Craftsman tool box) storage case, which is better than the actual Linhof cases - Maybe $1,000 a piece, or more if the right collector saw them
Rollei Wide Angle, as-new condition with case - KEH offered me over $2,000 cash, which probably means they'd sell it for twice as much
c. 1850 Voigtländer im Wein Petzval clone, no flange or pinion - Maybe $400 to $600
1954 Pacemaker Speed, only perhaps valuable because it is a nice cased kit in near-mint condition - Maybe $500, $600 or more, but only to the right person (a crazy collector looking for super-clean examples)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 - Probably $700 to $800, though I haven't watched the used market for this lens

Everything else is relatively inexpensive medium format stuff (RZ, C33/C220, M645, Super 23) and 35mm stuff (Nikon/Canon '60s/'70s stuff, and an EOS 3).

My point was kind of that all of this lovely equipment is worth far, far, far, far more than its monetary value. We analog shooters are scoring big time compared to digital shooters.

RalphLambrecht
07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
... If you were to liquidate your entire collection of photography equipment, how much cash would you have in the end?...

What a humbling question this is. I must be nuts! What was I thinking?

2F/2F
07-21-2010, 04:47 PM
What a humbling question this is. I must be nuts! What was I thinking?

:D

DWThomas
07-21-2010, 05:03 PM
If you were to liquidate your entire collection of photography equipment, how much cash would you have in the end?

Not enough to be worth the grief to do it! After all, I'd have to run right out and buy something after I got done. I do have some of my stuff recorded in a spread sheet with a semblance of replacement value and it totals up to more than $5K, which doesn't include the enlarger (a mere Omega B-8) and some early gear in my dusty closet -- how 'bout $1k for my "rare" one-owner Brownie Target Six-20? :D

lns
07-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Just something I found myself thinking about this evening, and I am interested to hear other people's answers as well: If you were to liquidate your entire collection of photography equipment, how much cash would you have in the end?

I'll have to think about my answer later, as it will require some serious counting, and I have to go to sleep now...but I am guessing that everything I have is probably worth about 6 to 8 grand on the used market. Hey! If I sell it all, I can get a top-of-the line small format digital camera without a lens, and it will be considered unusable by art directors and stock agencies in three to five years!!! Sounds like a deal to me!!! (I guess I can get the cheapo 50mm lens and use a library computer...and prints? Well, who actually does prints anyhow?)

I'm probably at the lower end of your range. I have to go through this exercise annually because I insure my cameras and have to itemize and value them. For me, I feel I have too much invested monetarily. I periodically feel guilty about it. Yet I use them all, at different times and for different purposes.

I've been thinking of selling a camera or two. But only, with regret, to buy my first digital camera. I think there's no question that we can more easily afford top-of-the-line film gear than digital.

More interesting, to me, is what I would never sell. I would never sell my main Hasselblad camera. For me, it's perfect. I would never sell my battered Nikon F3. It's like my 14-year-old Volvo station wagon, which is worth very little, but which I love to drive and will use happily until it falls apart. I would probably always keep one rangefinder with one lens, as that's the camera I use the most.

Complicating matters for me is that I have children who like photography, which is an incentive to keep a few extra cameras around. For example, I have a backup 500 c/m body that I rarely use, but I am keeping it for my son, who I suspect will want to try it soon.

-Laura

mathomas
07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Sadly, something over $10k, the larger part of that investment in Leica gear. I say "sadly", due to the lack of consistent attention I give this hobby. I get into it very intensely, then out of it. Every time I get back in, I buy a little more gear (mostly used), and I almost never sell anything.

2F/2F
07-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Complicating matters for me is that I have children who like photography, which is an incentive to keep a few extra cameras around. For example, I have a backup 500 c/m body that I rarely use, but I am keeping it for my son, who I suspect will want to try it soon.

-Laura

If we cannot convince the born-and-bred digital folks or converts from analog to shoot film (which we obviously cannot), I guess we are stuck with breeding our own! :D

Simplicius
07-21-2010, 05:14 PM
probably about $1-$1.5K in total including darkroom gear stored awaiting space in 'the next place'. Offset this with the counselling required to overcome the cheesy grin my partner would have for weeks and the extra disposable income needed to uptake an interest in football, channel subscriptions, team kit etc. I'd reckon I't would be closer to minus $10K.

2F/2F
07-21-2010, 05:16 PM
What this is getting at is: Why would we EVER sell our film equipment? There appears to be no good reason.

RalphLambrecht
07-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Not enough to be worth the grief to do it! After all, I'd have to run right out and buy something after I got done. I do have some of my stuff recorded in a spread sheet with a semblance of replacement value and it totals up to more than $5K, which doesn't include the enlarger (a mere Omega B-8) and some early gear in my dusty closet -- how 'bout $1k for my "rare" one-owner Brownie Target Six-20? :D

You know you have too much as soon as the insurance company refuses to insure your gear.

BradS
07-21-2010, 05:35 PM
geez...this is a tough but very interesting topic. I'm not sure I even have a complete written inventory let alone current market value for all the gear I have accumulated. I have just done a very rough, "back-of-the-envelope" reckoning and come up with around $8000 in cameras and optics. I have a pretty good store of darkroom equipment layed up too but, considering that I have had to practically give away darkroom stuff lately, I haven't counted any of it in the total.

Curt
07-21-2010, 05:56 PM
It could go like this: Some guy says to another out in the future: "I got this stuff in a box at a garage sale, who knows if it works but I can make a lamp out of the camera looking thing and the lenses will look great lining he walkway out back of the house." "The rest I have to put in the garbage."