PDA

View Full Version : If you sold everything...

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Ric Trexell
07-21-2010, 07:13 PM
I think if I sold my gear I would always wonder what amount of money and joy I could have had by keeping it. I only have two Minolta X-700's and two Rb67 Pro S's. The X-700's are worth squat and the RB's are the only thing I could probably make any money with. The one X-700 I bought new in 1985 and it has been in the shop once. I'm just curious to see how far it will go. When it does jam up, it will go on ebay for parts, but will never see a repair shop while I own it. If everything had to go I would probably buy a Nikon manual camera with one lense. So really I don't have much invested, and what little I have in flashes and strobes wouldn't add much. Ric.

lns
07-21-2010, 08:48 PM
If we cannot convince the born-and-bred digital folks or converts from analog to shoot film (which we obviously cannot), I guess we are stuck with breeding our own! :D

Well, I am done now, so I guess it's your turn. :)

-Laura

Lopaka
07-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Hardly enough to be worth the effort.
Some folks tell me I should hurry up and sell the darkroom gear while I can still get a few bucks for it. Nah. I figure if it gets to the point where I can no longer get the materials to use it, I'll hang a sign on it that says "Museum" and charge admission. :D

Bob

michaelbsc
07-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Certainly not enough to buy a top of the range full frame DSLR, but the reason I don't have one isn't because of the money, It's because I don't want one.

Who needs a Damned SLR anyway. My rangefinders work great.

Anachronistic Mike

j-dogg
07-21-2010, 11:35 PM
All my film stuff I could probably get 250 or 300 for it.

Now all of my photography equipment, Rebel XTi, lenses, tripods, filters, this accessory, that gadget, somewhere in the realm of 1,xxx.

Now if we are talking selling expensive things most consider as toys, if I sold my bicycle, 86' Tommaso SLX full Dura-Ace 7700 / Ultegra 6600 and two wheelsets, I could get more for that than double Kelly Blue Book for my car. :D

and for the record, I am a convert from digital format, I still shoot it, I just prefer film.

flatulent1
07-22-2010, 12:54 AM
What this is getting at is: Why would we EVER sell our film equipment? There appears to be no good reason.

There is no good reason, at least not for me. I get far more enjoyment out of shooting film (or is it merely playing with film cameras?) than I do out of digital, and I hate the post-processing dance with a passion. But I won't go there because it'd turn into yet another F vs D rant.

rst
07-22-2010, 02:27 AM
... If you were to liquidate your entire collection of photography equipment, how much cash would you have in the end?Not enough to even think about it!

Cheers
Ruediger

pgomena
07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I would get a whole lot less for my Canon F1s and lenses than I paid for them. Thanks, Canon, for making the FD lenses useless on newer cameras.

If I piled up all my gear and sold it, it would bring maybe $5,000. But where would I be then? Hardly rich and without a decent camera.

It's interesting to think about the relative value of cameras and how they hold value over the years. I think my Rollei TLR wins hands down.

Peter Gomena

IloveTLRs
07-23-2010, 08:00 AM
I think about this often, but the answer is "not much", unfortunately. None of my gear is really desirable right now (even the Leicas I have) plus dealers in my city are jerks about buying things.

I already sold off the desirable (read: money-maker) bits I didn't want, and am keeping everything else. Since I'm broke this year, nothing new is being added.

Andy38
07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
I think more than 10k€; because I have bought many years ago some old cameras that were cheap, and are now expensive.
And I have never tried to sold one of them because I am a bad seller...

John_Nikon_F
07-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Here, not much.

Going on KEH's prices:

Nikon F4 in EX+ cond and with MF-23 back, plus additional MB-21 grip, $525
Nikon F3P body in BGN cond, no MF-6B back nor MD-4, probably $325ish
Nikon F2A body in BGN cond, black, $144
Nikon F FTN black "Apollo" in BGN cond with motor plate, $347 or so
Nikomat FT2 chrome, in high BGN cond, probably $65 or so.
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic in BGN condition, $47 or so

Lenses:

20mm f/3.5 Nikkor-UD in low BGN cond, with AI ring, and NPK, $180
28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-D Nikkor in EX cond, $89
35-70mm f/3.3-4.5 AF Nikkor, early version, BGN, $45
50mm f/2 Nikkor-H NPK BGN non-AI, $39
50mm f/2 Nikkor non-AI, EX, $53
50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor early in EX cond, $105
50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar in EX+ cond, $48
55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor AIS in BGN cond, $99
300mm f/4.5 Nikkor AIS IF-ED in BGN cond, $275ish

Misc. stuff:

Nikon SB-17 in EX cond with case, instruction book and diffuser, $35ish
Nikon SB-27 in EX+ cond with case and book, $49
Vivitar 285HV in BGN cond, $45
Nikon MD-12 (saving this for a decent FM2n or FM, etc) in BGN cond, $14
Bogen 3221 tripod with 3055 head in EX cond, $175

$2704.00, if I don't include the digi stuff. If that's thrown in, ~$3000 or so. Enough for a decent car or a restoration of my current 25 year old Volvo 240 wagon. I'd probably just spend the money on buying everything back, though.

-J

John_Nikon_F
07-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Of course, what I've spent on some of the items is a bit different than what's listed. The F I got for $75. Put about $120 into a meter overhaul, and continued to use it. So, $195 for the camera, instead of $347. The FT2 I'd probably take a hit on, if I tried to sell it after the meter recalibration is done. Bought the camera for $30, and am spending another $68 on it, getting the meter back into spec.

Wade D
07-24-2010, 06:52 AM
I couldn't get enough to cover what the equipment is worth to me.

Stephen Frizza
07-24-2010, 08:00 AM
My grandfather once said to me that the true measure of any mans wealth is how much hes worth when he looses all is money.

benjiboy
07-26-2010, 05:57 AM
For what I'd get for my equipment if I sold it I might as well keep it, it's value is in what it does.

Wayneb
08-27-2010, 09:12 PM
I have about 100 old cameras but most are not worth that much any longer. The ones I like best are my Rollei TLRs, my Fuji GSW690 II and my Bronicas. I would hate to sell any of them.

sun of sand
08-27-2010, 09:26 PM
after i autograph it or before?

Curt
08-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Today I've been thinking of just that, selling almost everything, just to clear it out and start with a new approach, a simplifier and more streamlined way of working. I'd keep my headless Durst 138 enlarger, finishing gear and plate burner but these cameras and lenses and "extras" are getting to be too much. You leave somethings around and the seals start to get mushy and lenses have to be use to keep them in operating order. See Grimes about cleaning and adjustments, 6 months is the limit I believe. It isn't healthy to collect and not make full use of anything.

Vaughn
08-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Nothing close to their value to me. My kids can sell it all when I die if they want to. None of it was bought as an investment, all has been rode hard, but put away dry.

Marc Akemann
08-28-2010, 01:18 AM
If you were to liquidate your entire collection of photography equipment, how much cash would you have in the end?)

If I had to liquidate my entire inventory of photographic equipment it might be because of some kind of financial or health disaster. So after paying my creditors, or whomever, I'd have at the end zero dollars (probably).

Actually, over the past couple of years or so I have been selling off stuff I don't use. My goal is one set of equipment per format (35mm, MF, LF). I'm just about there and have sold about $7k to $10k worth of equipment. Less (equipment)=more (shooting)...for me. :)

Marc