PDA

View Full Version : If you sold everything...

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

akfreak
08-28-2010, 03:17 AM
If I sold everything photography related digi and film 35 to 40,000 USD

Sethasaurus
09-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I'M NOT SELLING THEM AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!

:whistling:

benjiboy
09-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Selling my film cameras and lenses that are from a mature technology, and paying big money for the pleasure of owning the obsolete technology of tomorrow doesn't appeal to me.:getlost:

perkeleellinen
09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
I doubt if I'd get more than £1000.

nocrop
10-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I've given away a bunch of film gear recently, and sold a bit to KEH for far less than I was hoping to get. Now all I have is a Rolleiflex 6006 6x6 SLR. I'm giving away my Epson V500 scanner to a friend tomorrow, as I'll basically be shooting color print film and having a local pro shop develop and scan film for me. I paid $500 for the Rollei and 80/2.8 lens, battery, and charger. Added a 2X tele-extender and another brand-new battery ($120 from B&H!). All worth $250 now, maybe. I regret selling my M6 and Nikkor 50/1.2AiS.

Johnkpap
10-26-2010, 06:37 PM
If I sold Every Thing .........I could buy a nice Vintage Sports car

But...... when you are now married it dosen't work like that.....It would be now OUR $$$$$
and get spent on a Bathroom ect ect ect.......

I will keep my cameras.....It is easy to add to what you have when they don't know what it is worth.

wclark5179
10-26-2010, 06:49 PM
That will be for the kids to decide after I'm gone.

Assuming they live longer than me!

Sethasaurus
10-28-2010, 12:10 PM
I used to think it was a real shame when I saw people selling off a grandfather's collection of cameras (or other items that have sentimental value). Then I realised, if they didn't, I wouldn't have ended up with the collection I have now. I like to let them know that a camera is going to a good home where it will be used again, even if it's over 100 years old.

dehk
10-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Not even remotely enough for a D3X(and I don't know why I'd even want one anyways, my FE shoots better). I'm a thrift store shopper, at least half of my stuff I acquired that way, If i gotta fix it. I'll try fixing them myself anyways.

bblhed
10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
If I sold everything I probably wouldn't end up with enough cash to buy the lifetime worth of memories that my gear has given me and will continue to give me. That said, between 3 and 4 thousand USD.

moki
10-28-2010, 05:58 PM
I won't unless it's the choice between photography gear and life.

But if, hypothetically speaking... around 500€/700$ if I'm lucky. I currently don't have that much stuff. It's only about one and a half year of GAS but the heap is steadily growing. Will probably be more than double in a year.

edp
10-28-2010, 09:03 PM
I'd probably get more for the freezer full of film than for the cameras.

I'm not selling either.

BrianL
10-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Never thought about it and probably will not; I'll let my son worry about it as per the will it all goes to him.

dpurdy
10-29-2010, 09:11 AM
If I rooted out everything it might hit 15,000 but as I have made my living with photography for 35 years up to this point it has paid me more than it cost me.. which was a lot more than 15,000 not to mention film and paper. Question is how little could I have and still make the same money.

sbJerseygirl
10-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Noooooo – not selling.

However – there is market value. There is sentimental value. There is insurance value. There is what-would-it-cost-to-replace value.
Then there is “what you paid for it in the first place value – with value depending on WHEN you bought it in the first place”!!
Hah! Have you thought of that one?

So anyway – all together, IF I sold all my stuff (which ain’t happenin’), I know I wouldn’t get what I paid for it!
Worth on the market? Well, just dang!
Sentimental value? Some of it priceless, most, not-so-much
Insurance value – actually not sure
Cost to replace it? Yikes! (which doesn’t seem fair with the market)
What I paid for it vs what I would end up paying for it now? Huge difference!

ronlamarsh
10-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Why would I want to sell my lonhof Tech III, rolleiflex,rolleicord,F3, B&J 5x7 and cambo 4x5 monrail????? What would I get that would be better? I have the luxury of not having to make a living at photography and as such I can do it for the pure art aspect.
If I needed to make a living at it i would get the DSLR and do the mindless school/wedding/stock thing as it would be more efficent and productive. There are great images made with the DSLR but I find the depth of a silver gelatine print or alt process images more asethetically pleasing than an injet image. That said arguing which is better is much the same as Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin arguing about which brush is better. And I might add the pure art market is a much tougher living than I want to make.

clayne
11-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Priceless.

Luseboy
11-01-2010, 01:42 AM
hmm... this really is an interesting thread. my f2 with 50mm prime, in perfect condition could probably fetch maybe 600 bucks, and my cambo monorail with two lenses and nearly 70 film holders could probably fetch near the same. i could maybe get another 150 out of my om-1 and my eos a2. so thats about 1450 in camera gear.

as far as the darkroom goes, i could probably fetch near 10 grand if i really tried. But there is no way id ever sell my whole collection, considering that a lot of it was given to me. I honestly believe that i will have a lot of my collection until i die (i am 17 years old at this point in time)
-Austin

Q.G.
11-01-2010, 01:45 AM
If it would make me incredibly rich, i already would have sold all of it.

Q.G.
11-01-2010, 01:47 AM
[...] That said arguing which is better is much the same as Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin arguing about which brush is better. [...]

Out of these two painters, who do you like better?
;)