PDA

View Full Version : fraud or not fraud? Beware.

Pages : 1 [2]

Obtong
07-26-2010, 08:56 PM
I too received an unsolicited email from Chris Corner, but was very suspicious. I did a quick web search of his email address and found that he had been trying to scam people on other forums. I thought about phoning him collect (reversing the charges) and telling him off. It is a UK number, but probably a cell/mobile. He could be using it from anywhere in the world...

~Dom

Here's the text of his email to me. Not the kind of grammar/spelling you would expect from a Brit!

Hi Dear

My name is Chris Corner from London...I am contacting you regarding your advert you place on website that you are looking for the above subject...I have it in very good condition and if still interested,Let me know and i will forward you details of the item and i will also need your shipping address and telephone number to calculate the shipping cost to your destination.My mode of payment is Via Paypal,Western union,MoneyGram..Bank wire transfer..Let me know which method you prefer and i ship the next day after payment has been receive..My phone number is +447024029617..Feel free to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

tkamiya
07-26-2010, 09:11 PM
That is EXACTLY the same I e-mail I received word for word! I'm curious though, how he intends to collect the item after it is shipped to his London "residence..."?? Does he have an accomplice in UK?

By the way, what the heck is "advert?" and I hate being called "Dear" by a total stranger!!!! :mad:

Obtong
07-26-2010, 09:18 PM
By the way, what the heck is "advert?":

I think he's trying to sound like a Brit.

coriana6jp
07-26-2010, 10:19 PM
I got that exact same email as Dom twice now. Seems like our little scammer is blanketing all WTB ads hoping to get someone to bite.

Gary

jnanian
07-26-2010, 11:40 PM
if the letters received contain a paypal usename/email
forward them ( long / full headers ) to spoof@paypal.com
they can shut his account down there too ...

Obtong
07-27-2010, 01:12 AM
if the letters received contain a paypal usename/email
forward them ( long / full headers ) to spoof@paypal.com
they can shut his account down there too ...

Good idea! I've forwarded the email to PayPal!
~Dom

2F/2F
07-27-2010, 01:14 AM
It is just attempted fraud as of now...

You'd think that sooner or later someone who is actually smart, well spoken, and less obvious would try one of these scams...

Bob Carnie
07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I think it is deeper than WTB classifieds because I never asked for an item there , but was discussing it on LFF , the text is exactly like Obtong describes.

I got that exact same email as Dom twice now. Seems like our little scammer is blanketing all WTB ads hoping to get someone to bite.

Gary

Steve Smith
07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Here's the text of his email to me. Not the kind of grammar/spelling you would expect from a Brit!

That's right. Absolutely no one in the UK spells things wrong or uses incorrect grammar!

By the way, what the heck is "advert?"

The shortened form of advertisement - another word which Americans do not pronounce properly!

(the i sounds as in his not size).

Steve.

pentaxuser
07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
That's right. Absolutely no one in the UK spells things wrong or uses incorrect grammar!

Steve.

My Grammar's perfect, Steve, despite being over 100 years old and in a residential home;). I wonder if this will lose something when being read by a naitve of the U.S.:D

pentaxuser

premo
10-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Are you kidding? advertis' not advertize?

lxdude
10-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Of course not, if they're English. Everything they say is automatically English!:laugh:

The shortened form of advertisement - another word which Americans do not pronounce properly!

(the i sounds as in his not size).

Steve.I hear and see that more here in the US. Some are saying advert and pronouncing it as "ad-vert'-iss-ment". British terms like "gone missing" are becoming common, too.
I spell it advertise and advertisement and won a battle with a teacher at age 13 to get him to allow that it was an acceptable spelling. Though I do pronounce it the typical American way, which is to attach 'ment' to 'advertise'.

Next you guys will have us saying "la-bor'-uh-tree" and "Ruh-nay'-suns".:eek:
It must be all those BBC shows on our PBS.:D

EDIT: STFU, Sirius!! :laugh:

(Not that I wish to start a con-traw'-ver-see);)

Sirius Glass
10-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I spell it advertise and advertisement and won a battle with a teacher at age 13 to get him to allow that it was an acceptable spelling.

Getting a thirteen year old to agree to anything is difficult, but getting a thirteen year old teacher to agree is almost unheard of! :laugh:

Steve

lxdude
10-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Getting a thirteen year old to agree to anything is difficult, but getting a thirteen year old teacher to agree is almost unheard of! :laugh:

Steve

Damn, now I gotta edit it!

Steve Smith
10-31-2010, 04:21 AM
Are you kidding? advertis' not advertize?

In advertise the i sounds as in high and the s has a z* sound. In advertisement the i sounds as in his.

* and that letter is zed, not zee.

Of course not, if they're English. Everything they say is automatically English!

He's got it!

I spell it advertise and advertisement and won a battle with a teacher at age 13 to get him to allow that it was an acceptable spelling. Though I do pronounce it the typical American way, which is to attach 'ment' to 'advertise'.

Good (for the first part).

Next you guys will have us saying "la-bor'-uh-tree" and "Ruh-nay'-suns".:eek:

Not sure if the US spelling for renaissance is different to ours but you don't say mediŠval correctly!

It must be all those BBC shows on our PBS.(Not that I wish to start a con-traw'-ver-see);)

Controversy is one that even our BBC are pronouncing wrongly at the moment. This will be dealt with severely!!

There is an advertisement on British TV at the moment for Rosetta Stone, the language learning system which manages to mis-pronounce the word pronunciation. It is said as if it were spelled pronounciation (which it isn't).

Ironically it is used in the sentence "this system wil teach you the correct pronounciation (sic) of every word".

Steve.

lxdude
10-31-2010, 05:16 AM
Yep, we spell renaissance the same but usually pronounce it ren'-uh-zonce.

I say meh-di-eev'-al, but a lot of us say meh-dee'-val. I guess we really ought to pronounce it the way you do, (how do you say it?) as you guys were around then and we weren't!:D But fat chance getting us to spell it the way you do!

That's hilarious about Rosetta Stone. I haven't heard that error in their ads here. (Sorry, meant to say adverts.:p)

I do hope the BBC pronunciation of controversy doesn't result in ak-rim'-o-nee.;):D

Steve Smith
10-31-2010, 07:11 AM
I say meh-di-eev'-al, but a lot of us say meh-dee'-val. I guess we really ought to pronounce it the way you do, (how do you say it?) as you guys were around then and we weren't!:D But fat chance getting us to spell it the way you do!

We say it the same way as you (I think) med - ee - ee - val. Four syllables instead of the three which most of your countrymen employ. The US method shortens the middle bit into one ee sound.

fat chance getting us to spell it the way you do!

Don't you have an Š key on your keyboard?

Steve.

garry15
03-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Kindly beware of these types of emails. Looking totally spam email...

Christopher Walrath
03-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Definitely sounds hinky. Caveat emptor.