PDA

View Full Version : How does Kodak make film

Pages : 1 2 [3]

willrea
08-14-2010, 02:16 PM
I got it today. It's a wonderfully printed book. I didn't think I'd be getting it until sometime next week.

rmazzullo
08-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Make yourself comfortable. There is a lot of very interesting information in there. Makes you appreciate the precision and attention to detail that went into the products that perhaps many of us took for granted -- I know I did.

I would give my (insert appropriate anatomical part here) to work there.

Bob M.

Photo Engineer
08-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Well, you guys that have the book now see what I have been talking about. It is not hard to make B&W single layer products in your lab, but beyond that..... Well, it takes a few body parts!!! ;)

PE

rmazzullo
08-14-2010, 06:37 PM
PE,

I envy your time at Kodak. When you are done with your book / DVD, maybe you can write your own story....

Look at the caption under Figure 93 in the book:

" ...To reduce vibration each coating station is mounted on its own isolated concrete pedestal secured in bedrock 75 feet below ground level..."

This kind of detail is really going to make it hard to scale a coater down to basement size -- anybody see my arm and a leg? ;)

Bob M.

Tim Gray
08-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Got mine today. Very nice book. Can't wait to sit down and read it.

Kirk Keyes
08-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Mine is here - autographed as requested!

I'm going to start practicing picking up 69 pound weights with one hand, then get a job at EK, and then I can get my free ingot of silver!!!
(See Fig. 58.)

bdilgard
08-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Recieved mine over the weekend but have only had about 1/2 hour to leaf through it. Even with that I stand in awe of the process involved. I almost feel bad now for all the film I have abused over the years. Almost :D

AshenLight
08-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Order placed. Can't wait to see the book!

Ash

Chazzy
08-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Mine has arrived, and I must say, it looks very nice. Now I just need to make the time to read it!

Photo Engineer
08-17-2010, 02:42 PM
PE,

I envy your time at Kodak. When you are done with your book / DVD, maybe you can write your own story....

Look at the caption under Figure 93 in the book:

" ...To reduce vibration each coating station is mounted on its own isolated concrete pedestal secured in bedrock 75 feet below ground level..."

This kind of detail is really going to make it hard to scale a coater down to basement size -- anybody see my arm and a leg? ;)

Bob M.

Bob's story is pretty much similar to mine except at a much smaller scale being in research.

The big production coater was prototyped in KRL in the form of J9 machine in B-59. See photos of the Park and look at B-59 there. The center of the top 2 floors was the J9 prototype production coater that used up to 11" wide paper or film. RC4 was in the basement across the front and RC1 was on the 6th floor across the front. The J4, J5, J6 and J8 machines were on the side facing away in the photo. SC4 was on the 1st floor diagonally across from my office on the side facing away from the photo.

Paper manufacturing ran up the side of the Park behind KRL away from the camera and film mfg. ran up the side closest to the camera.

You don't need the mounting pedestals if you are coating narrower widths or slower speeds and also we are much further away from Ridge Road and its heavy traffic.

PE

Sirius Glass
08-17-2010, 03:15 PM
Mine is here - autographed as requested!

I'm going to start practicing picking up 69 pound weights with one hand, then get a job at EK, and then I can get my free ingot of silver!!!
(See Fig. 58.)

Mine was not! :(

kraker
08-19-2010, 03:04 PM
My copy arrived yesterday. Looks very promising, judging from the half hour I spent browsing it.

The Ilford factory tour a few years ago was very, very interesting. This book might be a virtual tour of the Kodak factory and will be equally interesting, no doubt. (Although nothing beats actually being there.)

I'm going to read it front to back and then back again to the front.

munz6869
08-19-2010, 06:11 PM
My copy arrived down here yesterday too - I have skimmed through it and am now very much looking forwards to sitting down with a cup of tea and analysing it carefully...

Marc!

Mike Wilde
08-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Mine arrived yesterday. I have quickly skimmed it, and it looks quite good. Very intersting shots of the packaging machinery, and work flow diagrams are good, as is the layer coating structure explanations. Understandably there are limited shots of the coating machines, but good diagrams. A longer read will happen in the future.

sepiareverb
08-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Got my copy the other day- quite an interesting read. Thanks for the heads up!

frobozz
08-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Got my copy a couple of weeks ago - excellent book!!

Duncan

hrst
08-31-2010, 05:27 PM
I've been waiting impatiently, and today, finally received mine! This is really an AWESOME book. I can recommend this to everyone interested in film in any way.

Marco B
05-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Got my copy just today on the post. It required only 4 days to arrive, even though send over the ocean.

I just skimmed it for a first impression. It is a really nice little booklet, it's main contents being the numerous photos with important details in the long captions explaining them. The booklet is a really nice complement to the 1958 Kodak "How film is made" (http://www.boeringa.demon.nl/menu_technic_kodakfilm.htm) documentary I posted about here on APUG in the past. It will be interesting to see and discover the differences and similarities caused by the half a century time laps and advances in technology.

Photo's and illustrations are clear. I am looking forward to make my way through it reading.

Marco

kwall
05-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Received my copy a while back. It's a terrific book. Not all the way through it yet and I've already had several light bulb moments. :D