PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a photo walk in Kleinburgh Oct 16 to celebrate Kodachrome

JohnMeadows
08-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone!

I've decided to take the plunge and organize a photo-walk in Kleinburgh to mark the passing of Kodachrome once it can no longer be developed after Dec/2010.

I have set up a Facebook event (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136691896368967) for it, but if you are not on Facebook, the info is reproduced below. Please let me know if you would like to attend and whether or not you wish to reserve a roll of film!

Goodbye Kodachrome Retro Photo-walk

Date/Time October 16 10:00am - 5:00pm
Location Kleinburgh, Ontario

More Info What better way to mark the passing of this legendary film than to shoot it one last time, a photo-walk capturing the beautiful fall colours in Kleinburgh, Ontario (home to the McMichael Gallery and its renowned collection of Group of Seven art).

As of December, 2010 the one lab that still processes Kodachrome slide film will stop this service, and the glorious era of Kodachrome will end. While Kodak no longer sells Kodachrome, it is still available on eBay.

Depending on numbers, I can provide some Kodachrome at my cost, and provide instructions on how to get it processed. I have bought 14 rolls online so far, at an average cost of $6.33. I will buy more if numbers warrant.

You're responsible for providing a 35mm camera. If you want to reserve a roll, let me know ASAP either here, or via email jgmeadows@gmail.com

Note: Digital photographers also welcome!

Marek Warunkiewicz
08-04-2010, 05:14 AM
I've got ten or so rolls, frozen for a while. I guess it's time to start shooting! So sad, this is.

Marek

JohnMeadows
08-05-2010, 01:08 PM
I've got ten or so rolls, frozen for a while. I guess it's time to start shooting! So sad, this is.

Marek

That's for sure. At least it had an amazingly long run!

marylandphoto
09-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Drats! I'll be leaving Toronto on the 15th (coming up on the 8th). I do plan on bringing much Kodachrome though, if anyone else wants to meet up. :)

David William White
09-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Damn good idea, John. I think I've got one roll left, too. Can you suggest a meet point?

Mike Wilde
09-15-2010, 02:57 PM
One roll of K200 in the freezer, passed on to me from a pal who has taken the D path.

I was going to shoot it this summer on vacation, but could not bring myself to do it. Thanks for the mutual support opportunity. I am interested in getting there.

I will see if I can arrange for my 7yo son to willingly come along, as older brother and mom are moving gear in for a community theatre production that day.

Somewhere I was surfing and looking at FSA images online this week, and saw a whole ton of 4x5 Kodachrome images. Oh, that was the day...

That being said, I too am responsible for its demise. It must be 15 years since I shot Kodachrome in my camera. I think a lot of it came from processing all of my own film. Why would I want to send it out.

Then again I have a whole family trove of memories passed on down to me in 35mm and 8mm movie Kodachrome. I even picked up a box of old stuff this past weekend at an estate sale that included two Kodachome processing mailers adressed to Kodak Toronto.

CGW
09-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Might be fun to try a series of(preferably west-end) GTA meet-ups as a regular thing over the next year.

David William White
10-11-2010, 09:28 AM
bump

JohnMeadows
10-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Just to confirm, this event is still on for October 16th, but the location is moved to Morningside Park in Scarborough. Advance scouting has determined it has better colours, plus the parking is free :-)

I have obtained 21 rolls of Kodachrome 64 from various sources on eBay. At this point, 12 rolls are spoken for, leaving 9, so if you want to attend and would like to reserve a roll, please let me know ASAP at jgmeadows <at> gmail <dot> com.

Here's the updated info link. http://johnmeadowsphotography.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/goodbye-kodachrome-retro-photo-walk-16-october-2010/

Mike Wilde
10-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Looks like I am going to have to pass. The ESA has me replacing my old electrical panelboard in the house. Fix that by the 23rd, or risk having the power cut off. So I know what I am up to this weekend, with family andf dinner having consumed last weekend.

And just to double the bad karma, on last thursday I just got a roll of 50' of double 8mm Kodachome 25 movie film (expired 81').

I was going to shoot it, even though I know no one will process it now. I am aware that the dye filters in the film may have shifted, but the sensitized emulsion at 25 asa should heve not lost too much speed if I were to process it myself as b&w in the Dave White method (i.e. unspool it in the dark and toss it into a laundry tub of d-76, and stir with spoon ocassionally to agitate.)

Hope everyone has a great shoot. I will try to pass off my 35mm 200 to Dave when we cross paths at the Big One, and then he can wind it off and mail it in.

David William White
10-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Too bad you can't join us, Mike, but for sure we'll meet up at the Big One on Sunday. In case you don't want to do the spaghetti thing, I'll bring along my 8/16/35mm tank for you.

Mike Wilde
10-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Long roll 8/16/35mm tank!!!. Oh Dave, now I'm interested.

I bought a long roll school portrait semi fixed focus type motor driven camera early in the summer; a whole $10 at an auction.

It has an 85mm view camera style lens with the shutter time section ripped out and an electric shutter behind the lens. The image gate I think is 33x44mm, and it swallows unperf film, though perf works if you dont mind it intruding into the image.

Mostly I bought it for the historical perspective of how the job used to be done. One spindle grab roller had dried out; I pulled it off, turned it inside and out and reinstalled it, and I am quite sure works just fine, but I was at a loss of how to process longer than 6' with the paterson tanks I have at hand.

Then I found that Ultrafine sells 100' unperf portra 160nc for sub $30. Oh, I can feel an new/old mad photo rig coming together with my recently restored Norman 200B and LH2 battery pack and head used as the light source.

David William White
10-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Mike's building a machine gun :laugh:

JohnMeadows
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Sorry you can't make it Mike; it looks the weather will cooperate!

Looks like I am going to have to pass. . .

David William White
10-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks John for the great idea for the meet. The weather, the colours, and the turnout were great.

It will be a few weeks for our Kodachrome to come back, so hopefully in the meantime you can post some of your non-K images here. Here's one I took with the Rochester whole plate loaded with paper... You sort of have to imagine the reds, oranges, and yellows!

JohnMeadows
10-17-2010, 06:19 AM
A beautiful image David! It was great to meet you, and I'm glad you could make it out! I will post some of the Ektar images when I get them back sometime next week. Have fun at the camera meet-up today!