PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering, September 17 – 19, 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

jp80874
09-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Just put the Indigo Lake train station and parking for it (off Riverview Road) on the overview Google map at the website I linked to a couple of posts ago.

Thanks Lee. That map has become a mammoth project that has helped each one of us in different ways.

John

Jeff Bannow
09-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I have a major examination on Monday, but I'll plan on meeting up with you all on Friday PM and Sat PM; I have more new 8x10 stuff to show. Bill can't make it this weekend. I e-mailed htimsdj but have not heard back yet. Are there any enlargers left as I am pretty sure he was looking for one.

There sure are - if you let me know tonight I can squeeze a Beseler 23c into the Jeep and bring it down tomorrow.

Lee L
09-16-2010, 03:02 PM
There sure are - if you let me know tonight I can squeeze a Beseler 23c into the Jeep and bring it down tomorrow.

If you take the mattress and pillows out of the Little Guy, you could fit in a lot more photographica.

Just trying to be helpful. :whistling:

Lee L

jp80874
09-16-2010, 03:03 PM
I have a major examination on Monday, but I'll plan on meeting up with you all on Friday PM and Sat PM; I have more new 8x10 stuff to show. Bill can't make it this weekend. I e-mailed htimsdj but have not heard back yet. Are there any enlargers left as I am pretty sure he was looking for one.

Good luck on the exam Dale.

Sorry Bill won't be with us.

I sent Jeff S. htimsdj an Apug PM a month ago that wasn't answered either.
Hope we haven't lost him.

John

Jeff Bannow
09-16-2010, 03:07 PM
If you take the mattress and pillows out of the Little Guy, you could fit in a lot more photographica.

Just trying to be helpful. :whistling:

Lee L

I don't think Eva would like that too much - she'd have to sleep outside! :)

Lee L
09-16-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't think Eva would like that too much - she'd have to sleep outside! :)

Well, I guess we can't have that with the Amish roaming about.

Lee

Jeff Bannow
09-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Well, I guess we can't have that with the Amish roaming about.

Lee

I hear the Amish are scary for unnamed reasons ....

Lee L
09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Amish ... Wild Turkey... 'nuff said. The national park system can be a dangerous place.

Now I'm gonna have every Amish person on the internet on my case. I blame it on the proliferation of PCs (propane computers).

Lee (L)

Dan Henderson
09-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Be careful what you about we Amish. I am a refugee from the northern Indiana sect.

Toffle
09-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Be careful what you about we Amish. I am a refugee from the northern Indiana sect.

Oddly enough, so am I.... well, my wife is Mennonite, (a group related to the Amish) and folks are always asking to see our horse and buggy. (we don't have one, and yes, we do use electricity... no oil-fuelled enlargers in the darkroom)

jp80874
09-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Should you wish to pursue this theme we could make a pilgrimage on a future gathering:

“World's Largest Horse & Buggy
What seems to be the world's largest horse and buggy! A giant horse stand 13.5 feet tall pulling a buggy that is 14 feet tall. This entire statue is 32 feet long. It is in proportion to a real Amish buggy that you see driven on the roads in this Amish country. There was a recent contest to name the stallion and it is now called "Sir Pierpont of Mesopotamia," named after the founder of the town, Pierpont Edwards.” Mesopotamia, OH

Pictures at http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/18220

It was designed and built by a local Kent State art student with funding from local merchants who sell to the Amish.

There is an Amish Cheese Co-Op that has the best SHARP cheddar I have ever had.

I visited an Amish leather shop that custom makes beautiful tack both for farmers and fancy show animal. The lighting and sewing machine run on propane.

Dolly’s mother has two Amish built two wheel carriages and a sleigh that are gorgeous. One of the carriages with four foot black wooden wheels and gold pin stripes resides in her family room.

John

djkloss
09-16-2010, 08:57 PM
anyone ever hear of Loraine Avenue in Cleveland? I hear it's pretty kool. Near the flats? Anyone doing the flats?

jp80874
09-16-2010, 09:05 PM
anyone ever hear of Loraine Avenue in Cleveland? I hear it's pretty kool. Near the flats? Anyone doing the flats?

Lorain Ave. has lots of antique stores. Heavy Spanish concentration, but there are neighborhoods with more if that is what you want. I had a lot of Spanish store front churches in my last series.

I'm going to the Flats.
I think Dan said he was.
Who else? We can talk about it Friday night.

John

jp80874
09-16-2010, 09:06 PM
We had lots of rain today which eases the fire concerns and goes a step towards refilling the pond. Campers might want to be sure they have a ground cloth to keep out moisture we didn’t have two days ago.

Friday and Saturday look sunny and great. Sunday has a 40% chance of rain at this point

John

djkloss
09-16-2010, 09:07 PM
flats sounds good, I'm trying to figure out what gear to bring. lol!

Lee L
09-16-2010, 09:23 PM

Lorain Ave. is Carnegie Ave. in downtown and east Cleveland. West of the river flats, it becomes Lorain at a very nice bridge right by the West Side Market, and the area that I believe you're most likely referring to runs west from there. Great Lakes Brewery is a block or so west of the bridge, near the West Side Market, and is a good place for a beer and hearty 'comfort' food.

Photos of that Lorain Ave. bridge on the blog of a college friend of mine at: http://mousemedicine.blogspot.com/2010/09/bridge-over-trouble-water.html

Lorain Ave (and variations thereon) runs about 30 miles SW of downtown Cleveland, and most of it is commercial development until the 'burbs thin out.

Lee

Shawn Dougherty
09-17-2010, 01:45 PM
If somebody reads this and talks to Lee L please let him know - I didn't get everything I needed to accomplished last night - so I will just finish up tonight go to bed early and show up between 6:00am and 6:30am Saturday morning - the time we were planning on getting started anyway.

Shawn

djkloss
09-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Good news that you will be here.
It has been too long without a Dorothy fix.

Broke must be contagious.
It precedes you.

John

see you in a few :)

Jeff Bannow
09-17-2010, 01:57 PM
We should be on the road in about 2 hours and there between 8-9pm. I have a carload of enlargers and goodies to unload!

htimsdj
09-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi Guys and Gals -

You didn't lose me - I just was not getting email updates about posts to this thread. And I've been so busy, I didn't think to check.

Anyway, I'll be at John's tonight to meet for dinner, and I will meet you in the Flats on Saturday morning (I'm closer to the Flats than to John's house.) I'll have to skip Saturday afternoon, but I'll meet up again for Sunday morning.

I responded to Dale's email (which prompted me to check the thread), and I also responded to John's PM. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again.

thanks, Jeff