PDA

View Full Version : NE OH Gathering, September 17 – 19, 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

jp80874
09-15-2010, 01:29 PM
John: if the annotation to this message was meant for me, no I have not had the pleasure of meeting Jim Thompson.

Yep.

During our last event, two months ago, he was having a show of some 25 prints in his area.

John

jp80874
09-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Dolly asked me to tell you who see color to bring film. The large maple on the west side of our house is turning red. That probably means there will be some in the Park also doing the deed. I am just the messenger. No secondary samples have been verified.

John

Dan Henderson
09-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Dolly asked me to tell you who see color to bring film. The large maple on the west side of our house is turning red. That probably means there will be some in the Park also doing the deed. I am just the messenger. No secondary samples have been verified.

John

What is color?

I don't know where Jim is from, so I don't know about his show.

Jeff Bannow
09-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't suppose you have a 4x5 dichro...?

Shawn, still looking for a Dichro? I might have just the thing for you ....

Dan Henderson
09-15-2010, 03:15 PM
John: when I was thinking of coming down in July you kindly provided me with some locations of abandoned things in your area. I am hoping to get there early enough on Friday to do a little shooting in the area before the "Vacancy" sign goes up at your place. Can you give me a little better direction from your place to...

the circular diner near the abandoned Conway freight hub?
the covered bridge 3 miles down the road from you?
the abandoned canal locks and structures in the park?
the 5 or 6 abandoned cars about 5 miles west of you?

Thanks again for setting up the flats outing on Saturday. I am really looking forward to that.

Dan

Shawn Dougherty
09-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Shawn, still looking for a Dichro? I might have just the thing for you ....

Heck yeah! Lay it on me, brother! =)

jp80874
09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
John: when I was thinking of coming down in July you kindly provided me with some locations of abandoned things in your area. I am hoping to get there early enough on Friday to do a little shooting in the area before the "Vacancy" sign goes up at your place. Can you give me a little better direction from your place to...

Thanks again for setting up the flats outing on Saturday. I am really looking forward to that.

Dan

Go to http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Download a map of the whole park.

Covered bridge:
In the bottom left hand area locate the intersections of Rt. 271 and Rt 77. I don’t know how you are coming in so look at the map for exits.
Go south two roads to Everett.
We live on Everett Rd.
Go east on Everett into the park and down a long hill. At the very bottom of the hill is the covered bridge.

The circular diner near the abandoned Conway freight hub?
This was Dolly’s suggestion and has turned out to be inaccurate. A portion of the restaurant is circular, but it is only a portion. The abandoned freight hub as I mentioned earlier to Jeff is surrounded with fencing. However it is locate about half a mile north of Everett Rd. and Cleveland Massillon Rd. on the east side. The map is wrong there because by then Clev Mas Rd has become Brecksville Rd.

If you are into odd shaped buildings, there is an owner occupied, two story, Octagon house. From Everett Rd. go north on Clev Mas/Brecksville Rd., north of Wheatley, to Rt 303. Turn west or left on Rt 303. Go west through the stop light at 303 and Broadview. The next turn left will be Southern Rd. The Octagon house is at the T of Rt 303 and Southern on the north side of the road. It is a private home so be polite.

On your map locate the Cuyahoga River running N/S in the middle of the map. The OH & Erie Canal is the - - - - dotted or hyphenated line going along the river. South of the park it goes through Akron and eventually onto the OH River. There were 37 locks from the south side of Akron to the north end of the park. Most are still there. Then they continue into Cleveland.

For openers go to http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000479112834&v=photos#!/album.php?aid=3636&id=100000479112834
I have 15 pictures there of 150. Would you like to go to any of the places in the 15? Give me an image number starting upper left as #1 go across to the right and then next row as #5. I can show you more pictures when you are here.

I’ll drive out there tonight and see if they are still there and report. I may have to show you.
John

jp80874
09-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Dan,

I drove out to where in June and July I had seen some abandoned cars in a field and by a barn. I believe there is a restoration shop of sorts in the barn or out building. The place is surrounded with corn fields. The corn is now eight feet tall and I can’t see much of anything. The cars may be there. They may not.

John

jp80874
09-15-2010, 05:51 PM
If cars in excellent shape or show cars are of interest I would remind you of something in the second post. There will be a car show in Canton on Sunday with 200 cars. The main theme is cars of Cleveland, but there will be all kinds.

The Glenmore Country Club in Canton, about half an hour south of here will have the 16th annual gathering of significant cars featuring Historic Motorcars of Cleveland, Cars of Giotto Bizzarrini - and Duesenberg!
September 17 - 19, 2010 http://www.glenmoorgathering.com/2010-Preview.html

djkloss
09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
If cars in excellent shape or show cars are of interest I would remind you of something in the second post. There will be a car show in Canton on Sunday with 200 cars. The main theme is cars of Cleveland, but there will be all kinds.

The Glenmore Country Club in Canton, about half an hour south of here will have the 16th annual gathering of significant cars featuring Historic Motorcars of Cleveland, Cars of Giotto Bizzarrini - and Duesenberg!
September 17 - 19, 2010 http://www.glenmoorgathering.com/2010-Preview.html

how far is Canton?

djkloss
09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/76860-ne-oh-gathering-july-16-18-2010-a-7.html#post1017241

how did the abandoned cabin / buildings look? any potential?

jp80874
09-15-2010, 08:32 PM
how far is Canton?

45-60 minutes

It is a great show. We have been several years. In addition to the show they always have a group of unique sports cars parked out in front of the country club. A couple of times we have taken the Speedster to that.

Toffle
09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
"Oh the Humanity!" Les Nessman

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
Arthur "Big Guy" Carlson

nuff said

jp80874
09-15-2010, 08:35 PM
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum174/76860-ne-oh-gathering-july-16-18-2010-a-7.html#post1017241

Nothing more than I said at the time. It is a cabin with no track in that I have seen on the other side (from the road) of a violent stream. It is down Everett Rd. just before the cut over to Wheatley road, very close to the covered bridge.

Jeff Bannow
09-15-2010, 08:40 PM
nuff said

:)

Lee L
09-15-2010, 09:06 PM

Dan

Dan,

I've got some of the places of interest in the area marked on a web site:
https://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home

The maps page has a general map first, which you can click into and explore. The covered bridge is on that, but not the other features you mentioned.

What time are you arriving? I might be able to come over a little early on Friday and show you around a little of what I know of the area.

Lee L

daleeman
09-16-2010, 07:40 AM

I'd be up for finding the cabin about mid morning to lunch time since it will be in the woods, its not so dire to get to it in the early morning. Maybe.

John, I remember you saying there was a very low use train stop where the steamer will likely line up in the morning. Can you give us directions on the location?

I never heard back from 3 attempts to contact the Cuyahoga Lines people to gain access up in the engine of the steamer. Guess I'll have to wait for it at the little strain stop you mentioned that should have the least tourists.

Lee

jp80874
09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
John, I remember you saying there was a very low use train stop where the steamer will likely line up in the morning. Can you give us directions on the location?

Lee

Go to http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Download a map of the whole park.

Indigo Lake
Go east from our house on Everett Rd. to Riverview Rd.
Go south on Riverview Rd. about a mile and it will be on your right.
If you come to Howe Meadow on your right and Beaver Marsh on your left you have passed Indigo Lake.

John

Lee L
09-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Just put the Indigo Lake train station and parking for it (off Riverview Road) on the overview Google map at the website I linked to a couple of posts ago.

ic-racer
09-16-2010, 02:35 PM
I have a major examination on Monday, but I'll plan on meeting up with you all on Friday PM and Sat PM; I have more new 8x10 stuff to show. Bill can't make it this weekend. I e-mailed htimsdj but have not heard back yet. Are there any enlargers left as I am pretty sure he was looking for one.