PDA

View Full Version : Argust 10th - Argus Day

Pages : [1] 2

DWThomas
08-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Alas, this annual event appears to be a bit rocky organizationally, but official word just appeared that it is intended to happen again in 2010. On August -- er -- Argust -- 10th, get one or two of your old Argi out and shoot some pictures. Pick two to submit to appear on the Argus Day Flickr gallery.

The thread at Argus Group on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/arguscg/discuss/72157624447983179/) explains most of what little there is to explain.

These senior citizens of the camera world (and maybe even the photographers behind them! :D) need an occasional run to limber up the mechanics anyway.

DaveT, owner of a 1958 vintage C3, bought new as his first 35mm camera

Rick A
08-07-2010, 05:11 PM
My first Argus C-3 was stolen out of my buddies car, and replaced with another(that also disappeared). I have another C-3 that one of my neighbors bought at the BX in Korea in 1960 when he was in the army. I suppose I should load a roll in it and join in the fun.

flatulent1
08-07-2010, 11:45 PM
I still have my father's C-3. He took all the family photos in the 1960's on Plus-X, even scribbled some exposure information inside the case. Immaculate condition, leather case with broken strap, and the collapsible fan-type flash bulb reflector. No idea if the camera works now. I see I'm going to have to dig it out from under whatever heap it is currently residing. If only I had some Plus-X...

Rick A
08-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Plus-X is easy to get, I want some Verichrome-pan or Panatomic-X, ooh, maybe some Kodacolor or even better yet, K-25(drool). Thats all the stuff I used to shoot when I was starting out. I have a roll of Plus-X to shoot, but I think I'll use some Lucky 100.

DWThomas
08-08-2010, 08:48 AM
The ten-day weather guesser claims it will be sunny, so I think I'll use the remaining roll of Fujifilm 200 that's been floating around here since Argust 8th. (I don't shoot a lot of 35 mm lately.) Last year I got decent results on Ektar 100 -- a joint venture of the new and the old!

Locally, I've gotten a little shy of Plus-X. To cover a sudden desire to shoot some a few years back, I walked into the closest excuse for a pro shop and asked if they had any. They did, in 36 exposure, so following the old adage, if you have to ask, you can't afford it, I said "give me three rolls." Almost choked when, with the Pa sales tax, it was over $23 (and would have been about $14 from B&H). A print from one shot won a modest award in a local show, so I guess it was worth it.

Kodachrome was ASA 10 in my first C3 outings! I remember getting excited about Ektachrome being really fast at 32.

colrehogan
08-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Plus-X is easy to get, I want some Verichrome-pan or Panatomic-X, ooh, maybe some Kodacolor or even better yet, K-25(drool). Thats all the stuff I used to shoot when I was starting out. I have a roll of Plus-X to shoot, but I think I'll use some Lucky 100.
Sorry, you can't have my last roll of K25. But, I could put it through my dad's Argus C3. :D

flatulent1
08-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I may pass on the Plus-X, I already have two or three different B&W films scattered about here. Maybe I should load it up with Portra 160NC instead. That way I won't have to wait 'til the middle of September to have it processed.

Ooh, I found it! Let's see... No power switch. No AF. No motor drive. No battery. Shutter won't fire. Tuesday's looking more and more interesting all the time!

bobwysiwyg
08-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Hmm, I live about three blocks from the old Argus factory (now owned by the Univ. of Michigan). I didn't realize there was such a following let alone an Argus Day.

DWThomas
08-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Hmm, I live about three blocks from the old Argus factory (now owned by the Univ. of Michigan). I didn't realize there was such a following let alone an Argus Day.

A few years back one participant photographed another in front of that building. Argus Day was apparently the brainchild of the Argus Collectors Group (http://www.arguscg.org/) back in 2001 (Argust 1st!) I caught up with it in 2006, but it hasn't quite achieved critical mass -- like say -- Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day. Over the last two or three years there have been some transitions in web location and management and the pictures (http://www.flickr.com/photos/argus_day/) from several years have gone astray in cyberspace. But when I raised the question on the Argus Discussion Group last week, a number of folks jumped in and as of a day or so back, the latest overseer is apparently on board, so hey, we're off!

Two years ago I was shooting in Valley Forge National Park when a fairly attractive young woman walking by with a maybe seven year old in tow said "my, what an unusual camera." So I explained what it was and what was happening. She was quite impressed that it was still working, given I bought it in early 1958. As we were chatting some very senior citizen walking by stopped and looked and exclaimed "an Argus C3 -- that was my first camera! Bought one in 1955." All in all, that day left me with some warm fuzzies.

bobwysiwyg
08-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Two years ago they had an exhibit at the building so I strolled over with one of those "other" kinds of camera. I found it interesting. I was not aware of Argus' involvement in some military applications.

DWThomas
08-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Heh heh, that Model M is described as using Bantam 828 film and getting eight pictures on a roll -- described by Kodak as "enough for a weekend." Bet that concept would drop jaws in some circles today. Thanks for the virtual visit.

One of the bits of documentation at the ACG site is a US Army repair manual for the C3, so there is at leat one connection. I vaguely recall that the company behind Argus actually made Bakelite products and came up with the cameras as a way to diversify and expand their market.

Dan Grisez
08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Hmmmm...very cool idea. I didn't even know this was an event. I have a C3 and a C4. I may have to load up at least the C3 and get in some shooting.

DWThomas
08-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, I did it! (http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/argust10th) The one of the roller mill is in my gallery here too. I sent it and one of the Knight Lake dam to the Argus Day folks, we'll see how long it takes to show up.

The weather was not exactly picture postcard lighting -- 95F, humid, hazy sun to partly cloudy, but hey, it's Argust! :D

I'm flabbergasted, I got 25 shots on a 24 exposure roll, all usable, no blank frames and no double exposures -- didn't even smack my fingertips with the cocking lever or stick my finger in front of the lens. Those old skills from the 1960s must be slowly sneaking back.

Dan Grisez
08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Nice shots, DW! I took my C3 for a drive on Argus Day and I will post my shots tonight.

Moopheus
08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I wish I'd known--I recently acquired a A2 that I haven't had a chance to use yet--I'll have to extend Argust into the weekend!

athanasius80
08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I took out my Argoflex 75. It was fun.

Dan Grisez
08-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Here are my C3 shots from ARGUS DAY!
http://grisez1.smugmug.com/Nature/North-Chagrin-ReservationAug10/13314801_hgmAa

Rick A
08-12-2010, 07:29 PM
I took my C-3 out, but honestly, I had alot of trouble focusing, I could barely see through the RF patch. That coupled with my old-man eyes, and I have a few frames that just didn't quite make it.

DWThomas
08-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Here are my C3 shots from ARGUS DAY!
http://grisez1.smugmug.com/Nature/North-Chagrin-ReservationAug10/13314801_hgmAa

You got some good stuff there! I find it reassuring to see what these "Bronze Age" cameras can do every now and then.

Dan Grisez
08-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks, DW!