PDA

View Full Version : Perseid Meteor Shower

stewmander
08-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Is anyone going out to photograph the meteor shower on the 12th and 13th? Just curious if anyone is going to, and what kind of equipment they use...

http://ireport.cnn.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=479502&hpt=T2

Christopher Walrath
08-11-2010, 06:54 PM
No photography planned. Just hoping for a lessening of the pervasive haze so we will at least be able to enjoy watching it.

jcarnes
08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for reminding me!! I think I'll just go out and look with my binoculars.

2F/2F
08-11-2010, 07:12 PM
No pix planned. I am just hoping it clears up. I have a nice spot that I usually use to view it.

Binoculars are of little use during a meteor shower, unless you happen to know where the next one will fall! You want a spot away from as much artificial light as possible, and that gives you a wide a view of the sky.

stewmander
08-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I live in Ventura, and there are a few places you can get to without much surrounding light. I had read that there is a spot up at Mt. Pinos that people go for star gazing...

ricardo12458
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Might do some shooting tonight. Using 400TX black&white film for this (if I see anything; I live in Dallas). I'm shooting straight from my camera since I don't have any attachments for my telescope.

georg16nik
08-12-2011, 02:46 PM
1 day to full Moon (in Capricorn), imho, no matter your altitude and optics, it will be relatively hard to come close to a decent view... :)
Last year, the Moon was almost completely empty - very thin, waxing crescent.. around the time for the Perseids, but now..

JBrunner
08-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Frikkin full moon.

Richard Sintchak (rich815)
08-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I shot it once years ago. Got film back that looked like it had scratches across the negs. Whoppee. I have trouble being creative for this kind of thing. I guess a long-time shot with a cool foreground or cityscape might work.....hoping the notorious SF bay fog and low clouds this time of year will lift and allow maybe some view of some sort....

ntenny
08-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Where's the radiant relative to the moon? I guess one possibility would be to point away from the moon, expose for a moonlit landscape (loony f/4, I've seen suggested: f/4 and expose for 1/ASA days), and hope for some interesting trails. I might give it a go.

-NT

keithwms
08-12-2011, 08:30 PM
If you do a long exposure of a starry sky and move the camera the right way during exposure you get lots of shooting stars ;)

Do it right and the moon might look like a comet even.

Rick A
08-12-2011, 09:03 PM
The kid and I will probably drive up to the top of the mountain with her telescope to watch. They are having some special sky watch this weekend at Cherry Springs State Park a couple of hours from here. It's perported to be the darkest place in Pa. and many people camp there for the astronomy program.

Kokoro
08-25-2013, 10:40 AM
http://pictures.kokorolibrary.net/display/perseids-2013.jpg

My attempt from this year. There are a few meteors in there but I couldn't turn the camera more towards where they were coming from because of the city lights. There was some light passing cloud too.