PDA

View Full Version : Purchased 4 antique printing frames, seeking info

Sean
08-01-2004, 03:44 AM
Hi all,

I purchased these printing frames off an NZ auction site for around $18US dollars :)

They look pretty darn old and I thought I might hang them on the wall in my darkroom. Can anyone give me the date of these frames? I've attached an image of them. Thanks!

Dave Miller
08-01-2004, 04:58 AM
Pre 1950 is as close as I can go. But why hang them on the wall, they were made to be used.

David A. James
08-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Divided spring-loaded frames depicted in your thumbnail probably date 1928-1940. Before 1928, printing-out frames were adapted for darkroom use, after 1939, England was at war and photographic supplies were difficult to obtain throughout the Commonwealth. Look at the glass from the side. If it is green, it means nothing (replacement window glass), but if it is white (colorless) without striations or air bubbles, then it may be Waterford and probably original (unlikely) in which case, I would peg the date circa 1935. They are well used, do the same.

Hi all,

I purchased these printing frames off an NZ auction site for around $18US dollars :)

They look pretty darn old and I thought I might hang them on the wall in my darkroom. Can anyone give me the date of these frames? I've attached an image of them. Thanks!

Photographica
08-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Those print frames are very popular in the US at antique fairs. Sometimes they sell for USD$20 and more depending on size. I've not been able to tell if condition changes value as some real ratty have commanded as much as good looking ones. They are being used as picture frames. You got a good deal.
Bill

jimgalli
08-11-2004, 10:43 PM
I have several. Common from 1890's to the 1960's. I use my 8X20 one to make 8X20 and 7X17 prints. And I still use the 11X14 one for it's intended purpose. I buy the stained battered 5X7 ones when I can get several for little $ and frame my 4X5 Pt / Pd prints in them for gifts mostly. They'll stand up on a mantel or shelf by themselves.

Ole
12-17-2004, 04:28 AM
I have several too, ranging from 6.5x9cm to 8x10". They are quite useful for any kind of contact print. I evn use the small one for contacts all the way down to 6x4.5! Such a small contact print can sonetimes be very beautiful - I have a few very nice cyanotypes of this size.