PDA

View Full Version : Storing really long 120 negatives

Jeff Bannow
09-07-2010, 11:40 AM
How do you all store your negs? Anything longer than 6x24 won't fit into my negative sleeves - I was thinking of keeping them rolled in sleeves, and then a box maybe? Seems like a hassle to keep track of.

Looking for some suggestions I haven't already thought of.

jp80874
09-07-2010, 12:18 PM
I store a 7x17 negative in half a sheet of 16x20 archival paper, cut to 16x17.5 inches and folded to 8x17.5. Since I bracket, the lesser shot is stored in-between. Stacks of them are stored on the 7 inch edge in an archival box. HollingerMetalEdge.com makes all sorts of archival box sizes. They even made up some for the ulf crowd that have sold well. Remind me when you are here next month and I will show and tell.

John

Jeff Bannow
09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Hmm ... that's an idea. Although it would be a long and skinny box!

BTW - not next month, next weekend, right?

jp80874
09-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Hmm ... that's an idea. Although it would be a long and skinny box!

BTW - not next month, next weekend, right?

Almost gotcha. 10 days, Sept 17th - 19th

Yeah, long skinny box. It has the foot print of a sheet of film, about 7x17 and about 8 high. They don't make that exact one any more, but that probably isn't the exact size you need either.

John

Jeff Bannow
09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
That would be long and skinny - 3" x 20" long and skinny actually.

photoncatcher
09-07-2010, 07:04 PM
About 3 years ago I found a roll of flat plastic tube on Ebay. It was listed as "120 roll film sleeving" I'm not sure what its original use was. Maybe it was from a defunct commercial lab. It seems to be a very similar type of material as the Print File brand. The roll has got to be at least 200 ft, and it does a great job protecting my negs. Icost me less than $20 too. I guess I got lucky.

Jeff Bannow
09-07-2010, 08:14 PM
About 3 years ago I found a roll of flat plastic tube on Ebay. It was listed as "120 roll film sleeving" I'm not sure what its original use was. Maybe it was from a defunct commercial lab. It seems to be a very similar type of material as the Print File brand. The roll has got to be at least 200 ft, and it does a great job protecting my negs. Icost me less than $20 too. I guess I got lucky.

Printfile actually sells this still. How do you store them after that though? Rolled? In some type of case?

europanorama
09-08-2010, 01:28 AM
A panorama-expert(roundshot) told me to store them hanging. I store them in metallic and platic boxes(used for 30m rolls) and open rolled in normal boxes.
sometimes i cannot cut very long shots.

Jeff Bannow
09-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Hmm ... maybe a metal canister would work too. Something like what 70mm film comes / came in.

jamie young
09-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I store my 70 mm negs in 16x20 boxes, in long sleeves, flat. I put cardboard dividers in to keep them in rows. Works great. I'll wrap groups of negs in folded marked letter sized sheets to mark them.

mgb74
09-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Many years ago I would get 120 negatives processed and a roll contact made. So 1 full length of 120 in a plastic sleeve with 1 equivalent length of paper. Would come in a box about 3x3x3 (like these: http://www.boxescheaper.com/gift.html). Convenient for storage as they would stack and could be labeled, but very inefficient as a lot of air space in the box. I'm sure you could get a 2-3 rolls in a box without having to wind it too tight.

I would suggest some sort of wood or plastic tray to store them and stack them.

You could cut plastic or aluminum tube but then tougher to stack and a lot more work and/or expense.

Printfile does (or did) make roll negative sleeves (1 long roll - cut to length). I think I still have a box around here somewhere.

Another alternative might be to find an old map/blueprint file (wide but short drawers) where the full length could be laid flat.

Jeff Bannow
09-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Great ideas everyone. Thanks - looks like we've got a couple of workable options.