PDA

View Full Version : Call for submissions.........book cover

Pages : 1 2 [3]

jnanian
12-17-2010, 06:27 AM
i don't see a problem with giving an image to a struggling publisher for a by-line.
in the great scheme of things it is a positive thing, and positive things usually lead to
more positive things ....

i don't think that a struggling publisher being run by friends who ask friends who are photographers
if they are interested in "being involved" is the reason for "photography's decline" ...
there are many other reasons for that ... like the dumbing down of society, and places like flickr
where adv agencies troll looking for cheap images ... there is a huge difference IMHO between
a multi million dollar business, and a struggling publishing company, run by a handful of friends
that don't even pay themselves...

sepiareverb
12-17-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm with you jnanian. My sister ran a small press for a while, put out small bunch of books that they thought should be out there. I gave a few images to them, and did some copywork for them from time to time. Why is this automatically a problem if all parties involved are satisfied? Is using a friends labor to repair your porch instead of a pro contractor a problem? Worse if the friend s happy to do it in exchange for a six-pack of beer instead of $750? As stated- it was a call not a requirement, and I expect there are plenty of people who would be more than happy to have an image on a book cover- even if it is some little publisher.

Steve Smith
12-17-2010, 08:14 AM
i don't see a problem with giving an image to a struggling publisher for a by-line.

I don't see a problem either. If the money is not there to pay full price for an image then no one is losing out.

Equally I don't think any plumbers, electricians or carpenters local to me go out of business when I go and work on a friend's house for free.

Steve.

chriscrawfordphoto
12-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't see a problem either. If the money is not there to pay full price for an image then no one is losing out.

Equally I don't think any plumbers, electricians or carpenters local to me go out of business when I go and work on a friend's house for free.

Steve.

These people asking for free photos are NOT our friends, they're people on a forum. I just gave a good friend a framed print of one of my Doll House photos. She's a longtime friend who lives in my city and who I talk to and see often. THAT is a friend. Not someone most of us will never meet or even talk to outside this forum.

chriscrawfordphoto
12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm with you jnanian. My sister ran a small press for a while, put out small bunch of books that they thought should be out there. I gave a few images to them, and did some copywork for them from time to time. Why is this automatically a problem if all parties involved are satisfied? Is using a friends labor to repair your porch instead of a pro contractor a problem? Worse if the friend s happy to do it in exchange for a six-pack of beer instead of $750? As stated- it was a call not a requirement, and I expect there are plenty of people who would be more than happy to have an image on a book cover- even if it is some little publisher.

Because helping a friend is a lot different than a stranger who is in business asking you to give services to his business for free. Not hard to understand.

SuzanneR
12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I think this thread has run its course.