PDA

View Full Version : Street photography without pissing people off?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

dehk
09-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Try pointing in a different direction and use this: http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/rightanglelenses.aspx

Steve.

Interesting gadget, and cheap. Might have to consider one of those also.

dehk
09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Thank You Everyone for your help. It was really interesting to read what everyone have to say. And I will to try out you guy's ideas next time stalking the street.

Anon Ymous
09-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Interesting gadget, and cheap. Might have to consider one of those also.

Interesting or not, you'll probably get yourself in a pretty bad situation if you get caught using it. Most will probably think you're a pervy. :)

dehk
09-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Interesting or not, you'll probably get yourself in a pretty bad situation if you get caught using it. Most will probably think you're a pervy. :)

Right Right, i forgot about that, but its something you gotta have for the hell of it. :D

keithwms
09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Many ways to avoid pissing people off... use a tlr or any other camera with a wlf (many people won't realize you're shooting even if they are looking right at you).... use a remote trigger... use a long lens and give them more space... or if you're willing to do so and spontaneity etc. isn't an issue, simply ask if they mind.

Sirius Glass
09-09-2010, 05:37 PM

I used one once and got in trouble immediately. Never used it again.

Steve

dehk
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I used one once and got in trouble immediately. Never used it again.

Steve

You now now i must hear that story! If you would share.

benjiboy
09-10-2010, 04:53 AM
Or just a really long lens? Shooting street with a really long lens is like fishing with a hand grenade :)

2F/2F
09-10-2010, 05:00 AM
For example if i am going to photograph a bum on the street...

Maybe a homeless person would object to you taking pictures because you refer to homeless people as "bums."

Exeter2010
09-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Use a rangefinder with a 50 or 35; especially a black Leica M. It is diminutive, quiet, unassuming and often people do not respond to it in the same way as an SLR with a large lens. A rangefinder is much less recognizable and certainly not as potentially threatening as a big F5 or D700 with 17-55 2.8 mounted. A big professional SLR is INSTANTLY recognizable by most people and looks somewhat more like a CANNON than a camera.

With the right camera and some practice, you can learn to set and pre-focus for an interesting scene or face developing up ahead that you want to catch. It is possible to make one or two exposures very quickly and quietly in this way and when I'm out shooting street, it's very seldom anyone even notices that I just took their photo. If they do, I don't pay any attention to dirty looks. I am always moving along when I'm shooting and if there's any eye contact after the photo, I just give a little smile and a thank-you nod and keep moving. I have never had anyone pursue or yell about it.

I don't think Bruce Gilden's brash and brazen way - if you watched the YouTube video - would fit for most people's style of photography, but I can only speak for myself on that point. Street photography is about being discreet, quiet and going unnoticed by the people you are interested in. Unthreatening body language and movements have as much to do with that as the type of camera you use, but I still think a rangefinder is more suited to street than an SLR.

jnanian
09-10-2010, 07:33 AM
maybe you should think about how YOU would feel if you were photographed
on the street without your permission ?

i know I don't like it ...

chrismoret
09-10-2010, 09:15 AM
And a hilarious tip I heard about.....Wear a reflective vest. People will think your a surveyor, and take no intrest in you. This guy did it all the time.

holmburgers
09-10-2010, 12:38 PM
If the Bruce Gilden videos can teach us anything, it is that you can get away with a lot, don't use a long lens, be quick on the draw (deliberate) and have a fast wit paired with a faster mouth. I will say that I don't think I'd be comfortable doing what he does, but his technique yields great results.

I think the single most important thing though is being quick with your shooting. You should be able to put the camera to your eye, take the picture and lower it within 2-3 seconds. Any longer and you're pushing your luck or you've probably already missed the shot. Oh, and you've gotta smile!

BetterSense
09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
If people ever confront me about my camera, I just say "it's some old thing that I found in my dad's closet, and I'm not even sure if it works or I'm using it right". Which is technically true so I don't feel bad about lying. It really takes any edge of seriousness off the mood.

dehk
09-10-2010, 04:33 PM
And a hilarious tip I heard about.....Wear a reflective vest. People will think your a surveyor, and take no intrest in you. This guy did it all the time.

It actually works, I have 2 reflective jacket for my old job. One of the thing i had to do is go take photos and check out the condition of the foreclosed houses, and that including the ones in the hood. If you don't want the drug dealer next door come out and shoot ya thinking you're taking photos of him, wear a big yellow jacket. :D

dehk
09-10-2010, 04:35 PM
maybe you should think about how YOU would feel if you were photographed
on the street without your permission ?

Yeah I know i don't either.

dehk
09-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Maybe a homeless person would object to you taking pictures because you refer to homeless people as "bums."

Bum can also be homeless, but they don't have to be. lol :)

Actually, for the ones that come after you for change, i thought about offer them change for a shot. But, I am so broke that I can't even afford to do that. Wait, maybe I am a bum, with a camera. Haha.

darkosaric
09-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Yeah I know i don't either.

I have nothing against that someone take a photo of me on street - if it makes him/her happy and/or he/she think it will be a good photo - good :)
I am only one :)?

Colin Corneau
09-10-2010, 05:10 PM
@jnanian - I agree, but that just goes back to the issue of "intent". I don't ask permission to do street photography (not generally, anyway) but I also am not pulling a fast one, or intending to disrespect anyone. I think this intent colours my work, as it would anyone.

CGW
09-10-2010, 05:31 PM
@jnanian - I agree, but that just goes back to the issue of "intent". I don't ask permission to do street photography (not generally, anyway) but I also am not pulling a fast one, or intending to disrespect anyone. I think this intent colours my work, as it would anyone.

In kinder, gentler Canada, people might actually pause to listen to your "intent" statement. This seems to work even in Toronto but elsewhere?