PDA

View Full Version : Lanthanum Toning

Mustafa Umut Sarac
09-09-2010, 02:07 AM
When I was researching glass making technologies , I found that Corning do every year a art glass conference. I downloaded the 2009 catalog and read every sentence but there is no one was using sol gel technology.

Than I decided to look in sol gel corning patents and there were many articles in internet.

I found few professors learned about sol gel in 2004 first time and did a government backed research on rare earth doping of sol gel glass.
They say , they found something interesting which when sol gel glass doped with lanthanum , at some lighting conditions , lanthanum start to glow. They call this luminescence.

I found this is interesting and read many reports about lanthanum glasses lenses and their mysterious glow at bw prints

Researchers reports , this sol gel glow did not explained yet but I read also pt pd and al have similar effects as old Leitz radioactive lanthanum thorium glasses and their famous effects.

I found quantum lanthanum dot product which helps biologists to see some organisms und er microscope sharper than anything else and under ultraviolet light.

Under uv , lanthanum emits blue glow. May be this is answer to Leitz Leica versus Zeiss tests and Leitz Leicas more bluish , serious , cool tones when compared to Zeiss.

I had been written before , at 1922-1927 era , there was old Kodachrome two color films. Photo Engineer and one RIT Kodak Archive researcher described a process from these years tells that they bleached the films and doped with inorganic pigments - not todays dyes - with replacing silver to cyanide and unknown red pigment.

I thought , as pyro is a genius technology , may be we can tone our negatives with a chemical mix which contains lanthanum and one uv and one daylight negative illumination makes a glowing print.

What do you think ?

Best ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Ole
09-09-2010, 02:54 AM
There's a big different between lanthanum as a major constituent (as in Lanthanum glass) and as a dopant.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
09-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Ole ,

I used '' to dope '' as '' to add ''. The article was '' rare earths in sol gel glass ''

Thank you ,

Umut

Mustafa Umut Sarac
09-09-2010, 03:46 AM
http://webphysics.davidson.edu/faculty/dmb/resolgelglass/resgg.htm