PDA

View Full Version : What makes you so special?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

perkeleellinen
09-12-2010, 01:17 AM
If 'special' can also mean unorthodox or unusual, then within the niche area of film photography there's a small niche of darkroom printers and within that small niche there's a tiny niche of people who print in colour. Doing that is what raises people's eyebrows when I tell them. Artistically, I don't think I'm carving out a particular speciality.

Brian Legge
09-12-2010, 01:40 AM
My work isn't special. I post much of it on flickr and am lucky if two people look at each picture. I don't have vision or style that is unique. I have no audience. There is simply no reason for anyone to spend time checking it out given the volume of great work out there. It would be nice to say I expect to improve over time but I simply know that isn't the case.

I've grown to be okay with it all; my work is just part of the din of images out there.

Nikanon
09-12-2010, 01:55 AM
Anyone who photographs believes their work is special or else they would not photograph. The true photographer photographs for themselves without considering a viewer (non-commercial, commissional, etc related aspect). Consideration of what makes you special is wondering what makes you special to others, in relation to others. You are then considering what am I worth or what is my work worth to others. This only beings the path down the road to shooting to please and appeal to others, instead of yourself, the person for whom you picked up photography in the first place.

Nikanon

Nikanon
09-12-2010, 01:58 AM
I've grown to be okay with it all; my work is just part of the din of images out there.

Deutsche Industrial Norm? :cool:

Ross Chambers
09-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Two quotes that may shed some light, but maybe not, I dunno:

Ezra Pound: "Make it new!" (boy that's hard)

Gary Winogrand: "We know too much about how pictures look and should look. And how do you get around making those pictures again and again?" (that quote is pinned onto the door of my camera storage cupboard, just to irk me when I'm about to pack to try to find out)

No more difficult questions, please.

Regards - Ross

Tony Egan
09-12-2010, 06:08 AM
One of my favourites is the answer Robert Adams gives to the question why people photograph: "to keep in tact an affection for life". For me it's as much about the search for meaning, insights, beauty etc. that goes along with being a curious human being. Others paint, write, sing, play, meditate etc. Special would be when someone else generates their own affection about life when they look at one of my pictures. It's not just up to me to say!

Q.G.
09-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Would you need to have film in your cameras to achieve your goal?

moouers
10-07-2010, 06:40 PM
It would be interesting, fun too, if pictures posted in the Galleries would be accompanied, not by the uninteresting technical details (who really cares about what f-stop was used???), but by a motivation, an explanation of why the particular picture was made to begin with, why it was made to look the way it does, and why any viewer might/should care about it and not just ignore it.

Great idea and I hope it is implemented.

I don't care to think of myself and my photography as being special or unique - it's not what I strive for, it's not the reason I do what I do. All I can do is shoot with passion and hope it comes across to another viewer. If not, then at least make it so it comes through for me. Not too many people have seen my photography though, so I guess I just rely on whether or not the process is therapeutic/enjoyable for me. So far, so good.

coigach
10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Absolutely nothing. But I enjoy it and for the most part it makes me happy (except for those few times when I review my negs and wonder why I ever bothered to pick up a camera in the first place).

Me too...!

(except mine are all B+W positives, but the sentiment is the same) :)

Cheers,
Gavin

mick8585
10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Try to explain the urge to breathe and the urge to eat. Urges are what drives us. Photography remains as natural as getting out of bed to me. I just do it.:)

dehk
10-07-2010, 06:50 PM
My work is not special, unless you're talking about special ed. haha.

The only beauty in my work is, I do what i want and I'm not trying to impress nobody. No matter what anyone thinks about my work, I'm still going to do it the way I want. I'm not taking a photo for you.

Q.G.
10-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Try to explain the urge to breathe and the urge to eat. Urges are what drives us.

That's extremely easy: 'hard-wired' survival.

But it's not that easy when it comes to why photography, and why that picture, done that way.

Photography remains as natural as getting out of bed to me. I just do it.:)

At what time? Why that time? Do you sometimes like to lie-in? Why so? Etc.

patois
10-09-2010, 08:26 PM
To be honest, I don't have an answer.

mike c
10-09-2010, 08:45 PM
That's what i ask myself every time i even think about picking up a camera.
It's what i ask about all those millions of pictures created every day. Why would they need to be? Why would i have to look at them?
The answer all too often is that there is no reason. Just more of the tired old same.

In fact, it has become a bit of a long running project of mine to try to figure out why people feel the urge to add yet more to the already too many.
It's not just photography, but applies equally to every 'creative' field.

And the answer is not in the 'products' of creativity. It's the urge. The photographs (and music, books, etc.) have to be made, because people feel an urge to do so. After that, they would better be burned, stored away where they will never be seen, etc. The last thing to do is bother other people with them.

It would be interesting, fun too, if pictures posted in the Galleries would be accompanied, not by the uninteresting technical details (who really cares about what f-stop was used???), but by a motivation, an explanation of why the particular picture was made to begin with, why it was made to look the way it does, and why any viewer might/should care about it and not just ignore it.

Bingo!thats what I'v been working on the last 40yrs,getting closer to this type of thinking from the last workshop that I had with Per Volqartz,hopefully I'll find an answer and a cure!!

Mike

M.A.Longmore
10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I enjoy the process of using a camera, deciding which film to use.
Selecting the lens, and a filter if necessary. Choosing which lightmeter to use.
Contemplating the photograph, and ideal exposure. The aggravation of loading
reels in a changing bag. The thrill of using chemicals that I am allergic to.
The excitement of seeing the results. The Disappointment. Rinsing. Repeating.

Never had so much fun with digital photography. None Whatsoever.
Only The Disappointment ...

Analog Photography Is Einmaligkeit.

That's Special !

Ron

MaximusM3
10-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I think it is up to the person admiring an image or buying it, to determine what is special about it, or the artist. I am fairly critical of my work but I've sold prints of photographs that I thought were just ok but people enjoyed them more than I did. In my opinion, if I start analyzing what makes ME special, I will probably just be concerning myself with something I have no control over, and in turn impairing creativity. Just my 2c.

Q.G. has a very interesting and correct point in his last paragraph. I frankly am getting more tired of people asking what camera I use or film, ISO, developers, etc, and that's why I chose not to put a single caption about it on pictures in my new website, although many have asked. As far as explaining why a picture was made the way it was, and why should someone care and not ignore it...well, I frankly don't think it would make a difference. Samuel Goldwin once said.."if you have a message, send a telegram". It is up to the viewer, in my opinion, to discover what is interesting about an image, or finding a meaning (if there is any at all), or interpret, appreciate a certain look, as this is all very subjective. I look at Bresson or Gibson's work all the time and I don't need them to explain anything. If I am enjoying what I am looking at, and find what I (myself) is interesting in an image, it is good enough for me.
One line from one of Bresson's rare interviews is always stuck in my head...Question: "why do you take pictures?" Answer: "because it's faster than drawing". None of these guys ever seemed concern with having a "message" or being overly critical of their own work, or finding meanings that didn't exist in their images. It is us, the viewers, who put them on a pedestal and created the legends.

As far as "the urge" Q.G. is talking about...well, it is true but on the other hand, nobody is bothering anyone. If you don't like the music, don't buy it. If you don't like an image, pass. It's not like anyone is imposing on others to look, buy, or critique worthless images.

best,

Max

Q.G.
10-10-2010, 02:13 AM
As far as "the urge" Q.G. is talking about...well, it is true but on the other hand, nobody is bothering anyone. If you don't like the music, don't buy it. If you don't like an image, pass. It's not like anyone is imposing on others to look, buy, or critique worthless images.

That's not quite true, is it?
Trying to avoid 'the constant stream' is a full time job. Why, just come to Apug and you're greeted by a 'picture of the day'. ;)

It's just like a bad sense of humor: you can't read any of the threads here without coming across the 'usual suspects' spouting their nonsense, doing their best to turn anything into a display of their urges.

Impossible to avoid...
:D

moouers
10-10-2010, 02:49 AM
It's just like a bad sense of humor: you can't read any of the threads here without coming across the 'usual suspects' spouting their nonsense, doing their best to turn anything into a display of their urges.

Though some people do like to toot their own horns here, it's really not that bad. I almost never see people attaching their photos to random threads. It's a lot worse on photo.net, however. Or perhaps you meant something else when you said "a display of their urges"?

Q.G.
10-10-2010, 03:50 AM
Well, yes and no.
In this case, the urge that is extremely difficult to avoid running into isn't a photographic one. (Just like my point about urges wasn't restricted to photographic ones).
You're absolutely right about the willy-nilly posting of photos. Very 'restrained' behaviour here, much worse in other places.

It generally is very hard to avoid the incessant stream of 'creations' without becoming a recluse, locking yourself up in a cell without any contact with the world outside. And i don't believe we would or should want to.
Yet, keeping ourselves 'open' to whatever our fellow human beings do and produce, i (at least) can't help noticing that the vast majority of 'creative products' aren't worth the time it takes to even acknowledge they exist (and that includes my own). They may be important, as a 'release of creative tension', the giving in to an urge, an itch you have to scratch. But that doesn't necessarily make them worth anything to anyone else. And only very few are.
But still, Max, they are almost all 'thrust upon us'.

clayne
10-10-2010, 06:09 AM
I find some of the most vocal people here have the least photographically to show for it.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.