PDA

View Full Version : What makes you so special?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

coigach
10-10-2010, 07:07 AM
I find some of the most vocal people here have the least photographically to show for it.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Amen.

Q.G.
10-10-2010, 07:15 AM
I find some of the most vocal people here have the least photographically to show for it.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

They will have the least problem answering the OP's question.

Speaking of which, why, would you say, should anyone look at your images?

MaximusM3
10-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Well, yes and no.
In this case, the urge that is extremely difficult to avoid running into isn't a photographic one. (Just like my point about urges wasn't restricted to photographic ones).
You're absolutely right about the willy-nilly posting of photos. Very 'restrained' behaviour here, much worse in other places.

It generally is very hard to avoid the incessant stream of 'creations' without becoming a recluse, locking yourself up in a cell without any contact with the world outside. And i don't believe we would or should want to.
Yet, keeping ourselves 'open' to whatever our fellow human beings do and produce, i (at least) can't help noticing that the vast majority of 'creative products' aren't worth the time it takes to even acknowledge they exist (and that includes my own). They may be important, as a 'release of creative tension', the giving in to an urge, an itch you have to scratch. But that doesn't necessarily make them worth anything to anyone else. And only very few are.
But still, Max, they are almost all 'thrust upon us'.

Q.G. , yes, I do agree with your feelings but that's the beauty of the internet. Lots is "thrust upon us" and the only way to avoid it is to either disconnect or limit the places/people one is in contact with. You know..ignore buttons, visiting APUG once a week instead of 50 times per day, etc. Lots of garbage out there and there is no doubt about that but, if I don't feel like looking at it/reading about it, I just don't click on galleries, links, flickr, etc. Hey, I'm sick of bad news..I go on CNN once every 2-3 days..when I'm on vacation..I leave my iPhone home. There are steps we can take to limit the barrage of crap of all sorts that we are thrown at every day. And, yes, we can also limit the amount of garbage we all put out there...then again, someone's garbage may be someone else's gold :)

Best,

Max

M.A.Longmore
10-10-2010, 11:47 AM
If you are a member of a photography website.
Should should expect to see a few photographs.
They might not all be to our liking, but I don't see
a need to criticize anyone photographs. Unless
someone specifically requested a critique.
And I am sure that there are members better
qualified to that task, than myself.

Ron

Grif
10-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Special? Me? ...nothing :-(

I just like to take pictures and play with the technology. I'm really supprised this thread has gone on this long without getting "fussy". I guess it's one of the reasons this is the only site I actually pay for.

I hope everybody else gets at least as much enjoyment from the hobby as I do.

2F/2F
10-10-2010, 01:15 PM
I got to ride on the short bus...

...and as a result, I can do this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZhNb1wsTUXc/S03aOI0wi3I/AAAAAAAAAPc/GhIDGkw85No/s400/spock.jpg.

(I had to wedge the window sill of the short bus between my fingers to train myself how to do it. I did one hand on the way to school and the other on the way home. :D)

ccross
10-10-2010, 02:35 PM
"Whats so special about what your doing in photography?" - For anyone else looking at my photographs...absolutely nothing.

For me, my photography is special because it is hard evidence that at least some of those visions in my head are real, and secondly, it is the best explanation I can give my wife for the need to lean just a little bit farther over the edge.

Thanks,
Craig

paulie
10-10-2010, 03:02 PM
my own peculiar way of making carbon prints,my unique way i use albumen on my vandykes,my home made 10x8 cameras, my very abused 1925 voightlander 180mm lens ,my homemade pinhole cameras, just to mention a few.

everything i point my camera at is not unique to me, i express myself in the darkroom, or not so dark room these days

mabman
10-14-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm special because I have a large....lens :p

Rudeofus
10-15-2010, 06:13 AM
The thing which makes my photos extremely special is that most of them are pictures of my kids. And since my kids are the best kids in the world (every parent thinks that, but I know it :whistling:), these pictures will remain special to me and my immediate family.

PS: I wholeheartedly agree with Ron about criticism of other folk's pics. It may sound very intellectual to complain about the "huge steaming garbage pile of pictures" being imposed on us every day. It may be pleasant for some here to step on a soap box once in a while and scream "YOU'RE ALL PATHETIC DIMWITS" into the general audience, but I'm not sure why APUG should be a platform for this. Most of these pics, especially here on APUG, are the result of careful consideration and elaborate work, and while some or most of these pics may or may not touch a nerve inside you or me, they are still far beyond ordinary random snap shots. Summarily dismissing them as garbage shows ignorance, not aesthetic wisdom.

bblhed
10-15-2010, 06:57 AM
My photos are special because they are mine, every last slanted, crooked, mis-framed, out of focus, poorly lit, badly composed, and tacky shot. Some I show off, and lots I do not, but they bring me and my family joy, and that is what makes them the most special.

hoffy
10-15-2010, 08:01 AM
My work isn't special. I post much of it on flickr and am lucky if two people look at each picture. I don't have vision or style that is unique. I have no audience. There is simply no reason for anyone to spend time checking it out given the volume of great work out there. It would be nice to say I expect to improve over time but I simply know that isn't the case.

I've grown to be okay with it all; my work is just part of the din of images out there.

You made me look! I couldn't resist, I had to become a contact as I feel we might be kindred spirits!

Why am I special? Like Brian above, my pictures don't get much of a look in, compared to a lot of others. I, as well, have come to accept this, but only to a point.

I have to be honest, I have an ego, just like the next bloke and the bloke next to him. My ego feels good when others like or makes comment on my photos. Does this make me egotistical? Hardly, it makes me human.

But, I have come to accept that my view on life photographically is different to the next bloke. What I now need to achieve in myself is to be true to myself and stick with what I like and not shoot photos that I think the vast majority would like. Its harder then you think!

Magic2007
04-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Great points and very good question.

Missi
05-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm not special, but I don't really care. I just love photography, that's it!

Jeff

couldn't agree more

Felinik
05-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Newbie on this forum, this seems like a good place to start..

I really enjoy what I do, and that feels special enough for me, and regarding special, aren't we all special??

Diapositivo
05-16-2012, 08:46 AM
I have a love affair with my city, Rome, and I don't keep it secret, I actually take pictures over pictures of her, and the more I do it, the more I know her, the more I feel I love her, and that she loves me in return.

Some of those pictures get published somewhere, most don't. Some heir will find them, one day, by the thousand, and they will be a nice portrait of the Rome of my lifetime.

I'm basically raising some kind of a "secret" monument to Rome that nobody, but myself and a happy few, will ever admire ;)

Fabrizio

PS On a more serious tone, producing images for stock agencies keeps me focused on results and motivated. Ars gratia artis might not work in the long run. In a long journey one has to have a distant point where to look at, or the journey becomes a wandering without direction.

Vaughn
05-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Love is always special -- be it for Rome, the Redwoods, or just the light itself.