PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Area Gathering, November or December 2010

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Jeff Bannow
10-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Lee, that hotel is only a few miles from my house and should work great. It's right off of I-75 as well so easy to get to when coming up.

RE: train station - it is owned by a local "businessman" who doesn't grant official access, unless you want to shoot Transformers 28 or whatever. So, we can enter "at your own risk". I've been in many times and never had a problem though, but it is technically trespassing. The issue is that the city wants to take down the building and the owner doesn't want to pay for it. So, they fight about it a lot and nothing happens.

Jeff Bannow
10-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Glad to see the interest. We'll make it the first weekend of December then - Dec. 3rd through the 5th. I'll send out a message with my address as things get closer. Please let me know if you plan on coming and when we might see you.

The plan is to meet up at our house Friday evening, heading out for dinner with anyone who might make it in time. Afterwards, we can chat and catch up.

Saturday, we can all meet up at the house in the morning, then head out to shoot. Downtown is about 20 minutes away, and offers lots to photograph. If we want abandoned, that can be provided - with the inherent risks.

Saturday night, dinner and then showing prints and talking at our place until the wee hours. A darkroom tour will be happily provided for anyone interested.

Sunday, breakfast and then the DIA for the Kertész exhibit.

Sound good?

jp80874
10-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Sound Good!

htimsdj
10-13-2010, 05:51 PM
I will be attending. I just checked on the hotel and am trying to figure out if I can get a discount. At this point, I'm having a tough time convincing my wife to come along.

I/we can leave the Cleveland area around 4:30, which should put us in Detroit by 7:30.

Who else is going?

Jeff

Jeff Bannow
10-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Glad to hear you're coming up. I'll have those enlargers ready for you.

daleeman
10-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Jeff,
Thinking about places to go while up there. Have you ever been to the Belle Isle Botanical Society place? http://www.bibsociety.org/

Wonder what it would be like in the winter? Do they allow tripods?
Let us know.

I image this place is better in the spring to fall time, but what is this like?
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/detroitriver/

Lee

(Looking forward to the adventure)

Toffle
10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Sounds very interesting, Jeff. I am trying to clear my calendar.
Cheers,

bill schwab
10-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Just saw this Jeff! Count me in.

Toffle
10-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Just saw this Jeff! Count me in.

Bring some Iceland pics... (so I will feel even more jealous)

Cheers!

Jeff Bannow
10-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Lee, I've been in the Botanical Society before. They do / did allow tripods. It is fairly small though - only a few rooms - and not necessarily worth the trip unless you love plants. It is heated in the winter and can be quite tropical - lots of humidity.

I'm actually not familiar with the refuge. Maybe someone here can chime in, or provide suggestions for shooting locations.

Jeff Bannow
10-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Hope you can make it over. It should be a good time.

Jeff Bannow
10-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Bill,

Great news. It'll be good to see you again. Iceland prints would be great if you have any done yet.

jmxphoto
10-27-2010, 03:08 AM
I'll check my calendar and see if I can (hopefully) make it down. As for shooting location suggestions I've seen pics and the Belle Isle Zoo looks interesting.

Jeff Bannow
10-27-2010, 08:11 AM
Be glad to have you James!

jp80874
10-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Jeff,

Here is another museum exhibit that might be interesting. The November issue of Smithsonian magazine has an article showcasing an exhibit in Detroit (Oct. 1, 2010 – Jan. 2, 2011) about the 75 year history of the Apollo Theater.

“ The Harlem theater’s ground breaking role in 20th-century culture is the subject of ‘Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing,’ an exhibition of photographs, recordings, movie footage and memorabilia at Detroit’s Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History until January 2, 2011…..The exhibition was organized by the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) and the Apollo Theater Foundation.”

http://www.chwmuseum.org/component/content/article/4/70-aint-nothing-like-the-real-thing-how-the-apollo-theater-shaped-american-entertainment

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Show-Time-at-the-Apollo.html

John Powers

Jeff Bannow
10-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Jeff,

Here is another museum exhibit that might be interesting. The November issue of Smithsonian magazine has an article showcasing an exhibit in Detroit (Oct. 1, 2010 – Jan. 2, 2011) about the 75 year history of the Apollo Theater.

“ The Harlem theater’s ground breaking role in 20th-century culture is the subject of ‘Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing,’ an exhibition of photographs, recordings, movie footage and memorabilia at Detroit’s Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History until January 2, 2011…..The exhibition was organized by the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC) and the Apollo Theater Foundation.”

http://www.chwmuseum.org/component/content/article/4/70-aint-nothing-like-the-real-thing-how-the-apollo-theater-shaped-american-entertainment

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/Show-Time-at-the-Apollo.html

John Powers

Sounds interesting - and that museum is right across from the DIA (they share parking in fact), so anyone who wanted to could stop in and take a look.

jp80874
10-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks Jeff. I didn't know the geography or the proximity of the two museums.

John

Jerry Basierbe
10-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Thinking about it Jeff. Our house is on the Livonia Christmas walk the first Saturday in December.
I'll check and see if I need to be around.

Jerry

htimsdj
10-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Just want to confirm that I did book a hotel and will be there in December. I found a good coupon code for booking the hotel online, so if anyone wants it, send me a message.

thanks, Jeff

Dan Henderson
10-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Thinking about it Jeff. Our house is on the Livonia Christmas walk the first Saturday in December.
I'll check and see if I need to be around.

Jerry

well, I think we all should go visit Jerry's house. Right after we get our boots good and dirty slogging through some abandoned factory!