PDA

View Full Version : BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE ROUND 12 (BPX12) - STATUS AND UPDATES

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

24x30
10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Is it common to add a scan to the gallery?
If yes, when? and who?

RTMoynihan
10-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Just received 2 AWESOME prints from David William White! The larger of the two an urban landscape from Toronto with beautiful tonality rich shadow detail and just a sprinkling of brilliant whites (sounds like a good recipe!) The second a high contrast street scene with an interesting process behind it! A great little gift to find waiting at the post office and first prints actually to be received, unfortunately still nothing from BPX11. Will get mine mounted and out the door as soon as possible
Cheers

David William White
10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks, Rory, glad you like them. Good job by your Royal Mail, too. If I had sent these to the States, they'd be another two weeks...

Christopher Walrath
10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Tahnks for the updates, folks. Rudi, that's pretty much how you add to the gallery. Scan, with no modifications to the file, and upload to the gallery. There is a size restriction for the file uploaded.

MattKing
10-19-2010, 02:48 PM

Christopher Walrath
10-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Matt, you might have just started the newest Annoy APUG thread. We'll call it Dot Dot Dot.

MattKing
10-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Matt, you might have just started the newest Annoy APUG thread. We'll call it Dot Dot Dot.

Christopher:

You should look up a subscriber here who used to be very active, but isn't any more.

Her name is Aggie.

Some here might remember her :).

Here is an example of one of her threads:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum55/5114-a.html

Note the fine choice of words in the first post in the thread ;)

anikin
10-31-2010, 11:55 AM
My photos are printed, dried, packaged and is waiting for the mailman... Will go out first thing on Monday.

. . .

Ken Nadvornick
11-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Chris,

My photograph was mailed this afternoon and is at this very moment on its way to its blind destination...

Ken

Ken Nadvornick
11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
And as luck would have it, the post by 'anikin' directly above my previous post was for his pair of prints headed to me. I received those undamaged in today's mail.

The first print - Woody Rose Garden - is an 8x10-inch RA-4 print on Supra Endura from a 35mm Kodak Ektar 100 negative. The subject is a large, hand-carved wooden rose with stem set in what appears to be a botanical garden of some sort in Wilsonville, Oregon (USA). Very nice!

This is the first print I have seen from an Ektar negative. I find the color saturation in the print to be realistically muted and very lifelike, which is not what I expected from Ektar. I am a big fan of the true, subtle colors in nature thanks to my original background as a geologist, so this interpretation resonates well with me. Very nicely done, Eugene.

The second print - Sun Flower Festival in Hood River, OR - is even more intriguing. From the photographer's notes:

"Taken with 1910 Kodak 3A pocket camera modified to accept 120 film. Ektar 100 film, about 0.5-1 seconds bulb exposure. Aperture not recorded."

The print is a 26x10-inch 2-part vertical panoramic of a near-far composition featuring several yellow sunflowers in the foreground and taller green trees in the background. Except for a bit of wind, the near flowers and leaves are quite sharp. Again, nicely done.

I must confess I'm amazed at the quality produced by this antique instrument. Correct me if I'm wrong Eugene, but I believe this (http://www.vintagephoto.tv/3afpk.shtml) is a version of the camera you used? Quite expensive in its day at an original list price of US$78.00. That would be US$1,773.63 in 2009 dollars. Hmm. Seeing that, maybe the current B&H price of US$1,749.95 for the Fuji GF670 folder really isn't so unreasonable after all?

Many thanks, Eugene. Two very nice prints for me that I intend to mount and display alongside my other BPX prints. My collection is starting to grow.

And Chris, that does it for me. I have now both sent and received my prints for this round. Thank you again for your efforts in organizing and herding all of us cats.

Ken

anikin
11-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Ken,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm glad you liked the prints. The Woody Rose Garden is actually some private property on the outskirts of Wilsonville. I guess, somebody with a really great talent lives there.

Yes, the camera is the one you have pointed to. Some nice soul gave it to me for free. A great bargain, considering it is in really immaculate condition. I've added spacers to it to make it accept 120 film. Fabulous camera with quite sharp lens. However, it took me a few wasted rolls of film and a bit of research to figure out how to use it. You see, this camera uses old US stops system for aperture numbers. The aperture numbers are the same: 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22. However, they mean different lens openings from modern F/ numbers. Once I figured out the corresponding aperture number, I managed to get a few nice shots from it.

Enjoy the prints!

Eugene.

ccross
11-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Chris,

My apologies, I am running a bit behind, but my print went out today...

Thanks,
Craig

Keith Pitman
11-10-2010, 04:24 PM
My print went out today; on its way to Canada. Enjoy.

meltronic
11-11-2010, 12:06 AM
I received a couple of gorgeous prints from Rudi last week. Sorry for the delay in responding. Anyway I'm impressed. You didn't need to send two but glad you did. The scene in France is a real classic. The composition of the shot and the toning makes it look like an old print. I like it and don't mind the wavy paper a bit. The Fisherman's Hut (your backup) is my favorite of the two. It's a great shot. The little shack looks like the last outpost at the edge of the world.

Thank you Rudi.

Matt Melton

rst
11-11-2010, 01:47 AM
I also have to apologize, but I am late this round. But my print will go out soon.

Cheers
Ruediger

24x30
11-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks a lot Matt. I'm glad that the prints arrived, and I'm happy that you like them. Now I'm curious for the masterpiece I'll get :).

rudi

Christopher Walrath
11-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Sorry for being an absentee organizer. Busy a few days, then sick a few days, then no internet for a week. Anywho I am back and I have updated my lists. Checked them twice.

I AM STILL ALIVE! That's all that counts.

Thus far we have nine particpants marked as sent and five marked as received. That's from a total of 21 APUGers signing up.

Christopher Walrath
11-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Jim, I got the prints Friday last (12th). I absolutely adore the prints of the junk. The detail and at a 11x14 print size, they are just awesome. As to the ghost, that is freaky the way the limbs line up on the sunlit background. All I know is if you can pull it off, I have an original. Truly a treat and a blessing to view your prints, Jim. Thank you very much, sir.

lorirfrommontana
11-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Getting my new chems on Tuesday and will be able to print this next weekend! Sorry I'm a little late this round.

UKJohn
11-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi Guys, just wanting to apologise as I'm also running late but have a print ready to send out which I hope is a bonus, it will be in the post this coming weekend.

I also must apologise to Alex (Aka: Fleath) who forwarded an exquisite, delicate and tactile photogravure print, absolutely wonderful. Thank you simply love it!!