PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 21 - Comments and feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

drpsilver
11-01-2010, 02:50 AM
Great card from Darwin arrived this weekend - love the contrast and the shallow DOF. If this was a square print it's something I'd love to have on my wall (not that I think I'm such a prickly person!).

31 Oct 2010

I am glad you like the photo. Thanks for the complement.:) I never thought about printing it square (which I find a very confusing format). I will have to look at the negative with that in mind and see if anything appeals to me. Thanks for the suggestion!:)

I have a Hasselblad that does not see much film because of the square format. For some reason my brain does not "see" square - too used to rectangular! Any suggestions on how to get around this problem are welcome.

Regards,
Darwin

bwakel
11-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Just back from a week's windy holiday in the Yorkshire Dales (used my penultimate roll of HIE consumed to moderately interesting effect) and I found a number of cards to welcome me home:

Black Dog: a strange, dreamlike image that aptly reflects the verse of Wilfred Owen quoted on the back
drpsilver: nice cactus shot, sharp and great tonality. I agree that this one would work well as a square image
ozphoto: wonderful shot of Troy blowing amazing bubbles. How does he get each bubble to decrease in size so consistently?
Dave Martiny: beautiful tonality and composition for this 'not really naked' shot

Thanks

Barry

ozphoto
11-02-2010, 02:59 AM
Barry,

I honestly have no idea! But I was glad he did - it adds to the shot and this was the one he chose for his portfolio.

George Nova Scotia
11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Found a couple cards in the mailbox today.
DRPSILVER - points well taken
OZPHOTO - luckily the bubbles escaped drpsilver's card and remained in flight.

Made the trip to the post office today to mail mine and got a pleasant surprise. In Canada there is no tax on international postage - if you buy more than $5 and use it all together. It helped that I had my cards with me - save 15% thanks to the postal clerk!

BoxBrownie
11-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Posted my first batch yesterday. I used this round to try out a bit of Selenium toning. The same card for everyone but they vary from lightly through various splits to fully toned.
3 received Cards so far all excellent:
Black Dog - Knock on the sky... , Dave Martiny - PG Nude no 9 and Darwin - Cactus
Thanks for the pics

KWhitmore
11-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Received Ozphoto's "Troy and Bubbles" yesterday. Totally love it. Got a major "wow" from my hubby...I don't even get that from him with MY cards most of the time! ;-)

bwakel
11-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Received boxbrownie's card. Lovely split selenium toning on one of my favourite papers. Is that really an abandoned playground on the edge of the cliff? Most intriguing.

BoxBrownie
11-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Received boxbrownie's card. Lovely split selenium toning on one of my favourite papers. Is that really an abandoned playground on the edge of the cliff? Most intriguing.

Yep it's on the Isle of Wight - very atmospheric place:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackgang_Chine

ozphoto
11-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Received Darwin's prickly image - great feel and tonal range to this one.

gurkenprinz
11-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Just posted mine - and realised: Whereever I wrote "Paper: Adox MCC" I meant "Adox MCP", sorry!

greets, Chris

mike c
11-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Just posted mine - and realised: Whereever I wrote "Paper: Adox MCC" I meant "Adox MCP", sorry!

greets, Chris

We will let it pass this time,but don't let it happen again!

Mike

gurkenprinz
11-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Thats very generous of you, thanks Mike! I just thought that since some people seem very interested in the materials used, I shouldn't confuse them :-) But: I might just use some FB paper in the next exchange, I have something in mind...

BTW, found a beautiful card in my mailbox today, from Eugene Anikin. Wow, what a great shot! Great to have a square postcard - it fits perfectly! Love the colors, does it take much longer than B&W?

JJB
11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
I need some help from the land down under. Is this a good address format for Australia?

Martha Jones
123 Any Street
New South Wales 1234
Australia

JJB
11-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Oh never mind, I just remembered that I was sent the proper addresses. Just trying to get it all into a csv file...

anikin
11-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Thank you gurkenprinz for your kind comment! It really does not take long to print color. As a matter of fact, I'm ashamed to admit
that it took me less than 40 minutes to print all 50 postcards. It took much longer to cut the paper from the roll of Supra III
and to make labels for the backs of the postcards.

I'd like to comment on the new cards I have received in the last couple of weeks:

A prickly card from drpsilver. Very interesting picture of a cactus. I don't think I've seen this variety of cactus before. Very nice!

Troy and Bubbles from Ozphoto. Very original and simply perfect composition, just Wow! An interesting stamp as well...

Uwe's Lime Tree. Honestly, I had no idea that a lime tree can get that big. I love the embossed signature.

blackdog's "A moment observed". These photos of children are always very special. I love the shadow the ray of sunlight makes. Really cool.

mooseontheloose
11-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Two cards arrived today!

Anikin's blue and gold jellyfish image arrived with a few track marks but it's still a lovely image regardless (like the nice, floaty, peaceful feeling it evokes).

George's blast from the past in both image and paper with a wintry Nova Scotia scene. I think we can forgive you for using an envelope for this card!

gurkenprinz
11-08-2010, 11:23 AM
The perfect reflections in the lake, the morning mist wafting above it, the calm and symmetrical composition: a postcard that one should be able to buy in the shops! Thanks Antti (amiett) for your card, I really enjoy looking at it!

br, gurkenprinz

piu58
11-09-2010, 02:03 AM
I got two additional cards in the last days:
Eugene Anikin's Jellyfish, taken with 1 second!
and
George Richards' Tracks in the snow. This image gets better the longer you lokk at it.
Thank you, Eugene and George!

mike c
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Sent off cards this morning,hope you folks enjoy them.

Mike

mooseontheloose
11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Great print from Chris (gurkenprinz) arrived yesterday. The shininess of the car, the way it's separated from the background, the use of panning -- all combine to form a great image. Thanks!