PDA

View Full Version : Apug conference

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

bmac
08-12-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of a get together than a cxonference, but that could be due to going to too many conferences in my professional life and having a bad view on most of them. More like a everyone show up at XXX and we' ll have dinner at YYY, and print viewing atLLL etc

Flotsam
08-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I like John's idea.
Which way do I turn when I get to Philadelphia? :)
I understand that there is a tourist attraction somewhere in NZ called "The Amazing Monster Enlarger". Where do I buy tickets?

jd callow
08-12-2004, 11:16 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of a get together than a cxonference, but that could be due to going to too many conferences in my professional life and having a bad view on most of them. More like a everyone show up at XXX and we' ll have dinner at YYY, and print viewing atLLL etc
My thoughts exactly! The more fun and games we can schedule the better. Such as some morning, dusk and night shootings followed by adult beverages and maybe preceeded by talks by those in the group who do this sort of thing well. I think a Thursday- Sunday thing with most of the stuff scheduled Friday through Sunday morning.

I'm not a planner, at least not an event planner so I'll leave it alone. If I can help I will.

Thomassauerwein
08-12-2004, 11:21 PM
I don't want to dampen enthusiasm because I think this is a great idea. But a conferance infers lots of people, This site has 2000 some odd members yet on a rotating basis there is only a small continiuous core that contribute. Then add geography to the mix plus timing the idea of a convention seems over zealous.

A get together perhaps with each member contributing a presentation on a portion of their process. Then group explorations of the area.

At the outset conferance seems to large a project with to high a expectation yet a get together with the growth potential for the furture seems more practical.

John McCallum
08-12-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of a get together than a cxonference, but that could be due to going to too many conferences in my professional life and having a bad view on most of them. More like a everyone show up at XXX and we' ll have dinner at YYY, and print viewing atLLL etcActually that sounds more like what I was really thinking as well (re corporate sponsorship - sorry was just thinking aloud ). But money and organising helps, and jazzing it up (a little) could help me justify a flight to the US from NZ for the weekend ..... or so. I'm positive others would want to come from Europe / UK also ....

rogueish
08-13-2004, 06:29 AM
Which way do I turn when I get to Philadelphia? :)

Like Bugs always says "I shoulda' turned left in Alberquecky!"
Great idea, conference or get together either way. Unfortunately due to time and money, I won't be able to attend unless within "reasonable" driving distance (as the missus would say). Sorry but I've heard it's hard to drive to NZ :rolleyes:
Willing to help any way I can but might prove to be limited. Vegas would be cool (pun intended) but there are sooo many other nice places also easy to get to. (Not that I have anything against the town of course.) With the current state of tourism, many destinations/airlines/travel groups are bending over backwards to attract people (wouldn't that make an intresting pic?)

eclarke
08-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Also, Red rock in the summer has 2 states of light, dark or blazing bright with clear blue sky. The middle of winter would be best or early November if there was interest in going up to Death Valley..Evan Clarke

rusty_tripod
08-13-2004, 06:51 AM
Not Phoenix in the summertime unless you want to spend all of your time at the pool or bar. Albuquerque could be okay. Las Vegas is also hot in the summer.

If you are considering having individuals, small classes or groups go out on location during various parts of the event, temperature might be an issue.

Rusty

david b
08-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Not Phoenix in the summertime unless you want to spend all of your time at the pool or bar. Albuquerque could be okay. Las Vegas is also hot in the summer.

If you are considering having individuals, small classes or groups go out on location during various parts of the event, temperature might be an issue.

Rusty

If planning in NM, Albuquerque will easily reach upper 90's in the summer, where Santa Fe will reach upper 80's. At night the temp drops about 25 degrees. Very nice. From Santa Fe, we can reach many photographic areas much easier than Albuquerque, which is 60 miles south.

I could easily set up a few day trips. If Santa Fe is chosen, I can do the leg work to find a group rate at local hotels, restaurants, etc.

Just let me know.

Eric Rose
08-13-2004, 11:56 AM
did I hear someone say spend all our time at the bar??!! ummmmmmmm beeeerrrrrr.

mark
08-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Upper nineties if you are lucky. With all of the pavement you are looking at a temp in the 100's. I have never been turned on by santa fe. I don't know too generic I guess. Now head north to truches and chimayo and you have my vote. ANy way Santa Fe is too expensive.

No matter where it is, I hope the expense in kept down.

If planning in NM, Albuquerque will easily reach upper 90's in the summer, where Santa Fe will reach upper 80's. At night the temp drops about 25 degrees. Very nice. From Santa Fe, we can reach many photographic areas much easier than Albuquerque, which is 60 miles south.

I could easily set up a few day trips. If Santa Fe is chosen, I can do the leg work to find a group rate at local hotels, restaurants, etc.

Just let me know.

Gary892
08-13-2004, 05:24 PM
I am visiting vegas as I wite this and it is 115 degrees, according to the news radio, and I am stuck in the cool hotel. I do not participate in the economy of vegas I am here visiting relations who derive their income from those who contribute to the local economy.
If a decision is made for vegas just keep the temps in mind.

roteague
08-13-2004, 05:45 PM
How about Sydney? It's got to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

papagene
08-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Conference - get together, whatever you call it, I like the idea.
San Diego would be great - I could go to the "Get Together" and my wife can visit her sister in Encinitas. MMMMMMMMMMM - I vote for San Diego!! :D
gene

John McCallum
08-13-2004, 10:02 PM
How about Sydney? It's got to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world.Yup I'd vote for Sydney out of shear convenience and because it would be a d*mn good location (also flights at $249 rtn instead of $2500). However, I think it would be important for the inaugural apug get together to be as successful as possible. and by virtue of numbers, the States or Canada seems a logical choice. Maybe our turn next time Roteague :)

mikewhi
08-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Maybe Sean or comebody could put together a countof members by their general geographic location, East Coast, West Coast, The Middle, Europe, NZ\Austrailia, etc.
Perhaps we could hold the first one closets to where he most members are.

Again, if it's held in later summer there is no place like Seattle in the summer. Weeks on end with no rain and mild temps. Lots to do.

-Mike

Robert Kennedy
08-14-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm for that.

Always have a place to stay there...

Hell, if we do Seattle and I can make it, I will lead a trip up to Whidbey Island, which is a great place to shoot.

c6h6o3
08-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Maybe Sean or comebody could put together a countof members by their general geographic location, East Coast, West Coast, The Middle, Europe, NZ\Austrailia, etc.
Perhaps we could hold the first one closets to where he most members are.

If the budget is a concern, Vegas is really the only choice. Cheap airfare from just about anywhere, cheap (but nice) acommodations, cheap (but nice) food (they do this so you'll come back-what a concept!!!). What's not to like? The weather in the summer, but that's the only thing. I've been to Vegas in January and it was absolutely delightful. But in July or August Saudi Arabia would be a relative garden spot. So why not have the soiree in December, to acommodate those on an academic schedule?

Cheryl Jacobs
08-14-2004, 05:21 PM
A few thoughts....

I'm liking the cheapness (is that a word?) of Las Vegas, but the heat would make life fairly miserable in my honest opinion. Ditto to Phoenix (where I spent a whole lot of time last year) although both places are great in the winter.

San Diego is fabulous year round and presents lots of possibilities for photography (mountains, deserts, beaches, and urban all within an hour or two. Or hop the border to Mexico.) It's not as expensive as some airports.

As self-serving as it may sound for me to suggest this, Denver is also a great location. Great photography area, comparatively mild summers, and a large international airport. It's also fairly central for those within the U.S., which may make it easier for more people to make the drive, if they elect not to fly.

I'd dearly love to go to an APUG get-together in another country (Europe in particular) but it would take a wealthy sponsor or a sugardaddy for me to go. ;) Unless I could schedule five or six portrait sessions while I'm there....

- CJ

kwmullet
08-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Maybe Sean or comebody could put together a countof members by their general geographic location, East Coast, West Coast, The Middle, Europe, NZ\Austrailia, etc.[...]

Boy, that's something I've always wanted on the main APUG greeting page, but always thought it'd be too over-the-top to ask for. It'd be great if there was some kind of server-side applet that would take the postal codes (zip for US folks, I'm sure there's an equiv for the rest of the world) and put dots on a map of the world showing what parts of the world are actually logged into APUG at any given time or, alternatively, show how the membership, message posting or gallery posting frequency is distributed.

there. I've flushed my brain of the idea. (:

-KwM-