PDA

View Full Version : Apug conference

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

mark
08-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Boy, that's something I've always wanted on the main APUG greeting page, but always thought it'd be too over-the-top to ask for. It'd be great if there was some kind of server-side applet that would take the postal codes (zip for US folks, I'm sure there's an equiv for the rest of the world) and put dots on a map of the world showing what parts of the world are actually logged into APUG at any given time or, alternatively, show how the membership, message posting or gallery posting frequency is distributed.

there. I've flushed my brain of the idea. (:

-KwM-

That would be neat

Robert Kennedy
08-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Only downside to a Dec. meet in my mind would be that Dec. is the most busy time of the year for family obligations....

John McCallum
08-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Boy, that's something I've always wanted on the main APUG greeting page, but always thought it'd be too over-the-top to ask for. It'd be great if there was some kind of server-side applet that would take the postal codes (zip for US folks, I'm sure there's an equiv for the rest of the world) and put dots on a map of the world showing what parts of the world are actually logged into APUG at any given time or, alternatively, show how the membership, message posting or gallery posting frequency is distributed.

-KwM-
Very cool idea!!

Sean - you busy?? :p

Aggie
08-16-2004, 06:39 PM
I had a nice phone conversation with mrcallow last week on this subject. Since the voitng in the poll is going 7 to 1 in favor of the conf, I think it would be good to set up some exploratory committees to see about location, and all other attendant needs. Since Eric is in the travel industry I would think he would make a good head for an exploratory location committee chariman.

For my part in this thing, I would like to keep it to an area that I already have some contacts. I can do the vendor portion. Again this is a committee thing, not a one person thing. I just had the big mouth to get it started. mrcallow would make a great overall chairman of it all.

jd callow
08-16-2004, 07:03 PM
I just had the big mouth to get it started. mrcallow would make a great overall chairman of it all.

Mr Callow will have to pass on the nomination.

John Koehrer
08-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Rather than one large international(?) conference why not regional informal get togethers? Casual lunch/dinner BS sessions. Perhaps within a few hours drive of a central point.
NE/EAST COAST/SE/MW/NW/SW/WEST COAST etc.
At least it would give the opportunity to meet face to face with others with similar interests and would alllow more flexibility for scheduling/logistics/expense.

John McCallum
08-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Rather than one large international(?) conference why not regional informal get togethers? Casual lunch/dinner BS sessions. Perhaps within a few hours drive of a central point.
NE/EAST COAST/SE/MW/NW/SW/WEST COAST etc.
At least it would give the opportunity to meet face to face with others with similar interests and would alllow more flexibility for scheduling/logistics/expense.
???
John
(New Zealand)

Sean
08-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Very cool idea!!

Sean - you busy?? :p

I've seen something like this being worked on, but it would probably be a performance hit on the server with the extra queries that would run. I'll check it out though..

jovo
08-17-2004, 04:52 PM
???
John
(New Zealand)

The internet shrinks the planet to the size of our monitors. Forgive the USAcentric bias that creeps in sometimes. It's easy to forget that NZ, Australia, Europe, Africa, S. America and Asia aren't as close as our digiworld makes them appear. The irony of an APUG conference that would be geographically difficult for Sean of all people isn't pleasant to consider at all let alone the many who will not be close to wherever the conference is ultimatley sited.

John McCallum
08-17-2004, 04:59 PM
The internet shrinks the planet to the size of our monitors. Forgive the USAcentric bias that creeps in sometimes. It's easy to forget that NZ, Australia, Europe, Africa, S. America and Asia aren't as close as our digiworld makes them appear. ..... no worries here - I'll just keep popping up the NZ flag from time to time :p .

I've seen something like this being worked on, but it would probably be a performance hit on the server with the extra queries that would run. I'll check it out though..
Wasn't deadly serious Sean. ;)

kwmullet
08-17-2004, 05:18 PM
I've been watching this thread with keen interest and have almost made this post a few times, but have opted not to, thinking to myself "well, hell, just 'cause I've got a thought doesn't mean I've got to mash it into a browser".

I think a good model to emulate would be that of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). In a nutshell, most technical and many social conventions for how things are accomplished on the Internet since way before it was called the Internet have been born in the working groups of the IETF: teams of similar goaled individuals who explore a problem together and come up with recommendations called Requests for Comment (RFCs).

As with APUG, lots of the wrangling occurs in online written messaging, but twice a year for god-knows-how many years, they get together at a big whohaw and meet face-to-face. Since the membership of all the working groups is pretty evenly distributed around the world, they hold one meeting in the US, then the next one outside the US (Europe, typically). They meet quarterly. Since at least 1992 or so, all sessions have been open to online attendees through desktop (IP multicast, for those that are interested) teleconferencing over the Internet.

I had one opportunity to become intimately aware of how all this is done because I was part of the crew that put on IETF28 in Houston in 1993, and if we were able to wheel an AV cart around, boot the PC (well... SPARC) and point the camera, it shouldn't be all that hard to come up with fundage for an eBay notebook and a webcam to do the same at APUG01.

Like IETF conferences, APUGs could alternate in and out of the continental US, offer break-out sessions for skill sharing, portfolio review, and the like, and be largely funded by a trade show. Instead of a terminal room, APUGs could have a large community darkroom for demos, tutorials and BOF sessions.

Now, I'm not all that certain of the "largely funded" part, since that's way not my area, but it sure would be nice (IMHO) if an APUG conference gravitated toward an IETF-style dynamic.

-KwM- Geekland expatriate

IETF: http://ietf.org/
The Tao of the IETF: http://ietf.org/tao.html

Aggie
08-17-2004, 05:23 PM
We are already in many places doing the small get togethers. This was meant as a large gathering.

Looking at the locations of those who have listed where they live, we have a large bulk in North America and the British Isles. If you wanted something more central, it would be good IMO to be held on the East coast of the USA or Canada, or in Ireland.

Vegas has been mentioned. let me give you a few reasons why it would not be good. during holiday times, ti sells out months in adavance (all rooms), getting around in that town can be a nightmare, The heat in summer, That airport is not film friendly (that was before 9/11), special event space is expensive, extreme crowds, and many more. It may be close to me, but I opt for something more central to more members.

First you need someone who wants to take charge of this project. I for one do not have time for it, and already have one project to be bashed over.

kwmullet
08-17-2004, 05:25 PM
Usually with "monitoring" stuff like that, a good way I've seen it approached is to generate static content every five minutes or so so each request doesn't start a whole chain of processes for that lil map thingy. Even if it gets generated every couple of minutes, it'd still be a whole lot less load than doing it dynamically.

my two bits.

-KwM-

rogueish
08-17-2004, 08:49 PM
It'd be great if there was some kind of server-side applet that would take the postal codes (zip for US folks, I'm sure there's an equiv for the rest of the world) and put dots on a map of the world showing what parts of the world are actually logged into APUG at any given time or, alternatively, show how the membership, message posting or gallery posting frequency is distributed.

-KwM-
Nice idea :cool: , but keeping it simple would likely be best. just a seperate link/page for a map with dots showing where each member resides. Having dots for posts on who's online and posting threads or into the gallery might be a tad complicated and chew up processing. And if your on a dialup...

kayakerguy
09-04-2004, 02:52 AM
It seems that the three main factors most are concerned with are cost, time of year, and the temperatures. Summer seems to be best for most people. Vegas may be the cheapest (air-fare), but the heat will definatly be a factor. Other locations with cheap airfare and cooler temps. would be Denver, and Salt Lake City. Both of these places have a more central location, and can easily hold a conference large or small, and both have outstanding photographic opprotunities.

Mark

hortense
09-04-2004, 12:26 PM
Las Vegas!

hortense
09-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Las Vegas!

waynecrider
09-04-2004, 09:11 PM
I'd probably opt for somthing accessible to as many as possible. Vegas tho would not be at the top of my list as I can think of many other areas to go that would be less expensive and have as just as good opportunities, and especially better weather wise if held in the summer. Suggestions would include parts of California, western Canada and the northeast U.S. Too bad tho that Autumn would be hard for some to plan. My favorite would be northern Italy, or souther France for a Europe get together.

James Bleifus
09-04-2004, 11:55 PM
That airport is not film friendly (that was before 9/11).

That's an understatement!!!

Cheers,

James

glbeas
09-05-2004, 09:31 AM
If, as Aggie points out, a central location should be east coastish, think about Jekyll Island out here in Georgia, or Charleston, SC. Both have some fascinating places to shoot as well as plenty of convention resources. Savannah wouldn't be bad either. Costs shouldn't be as bad as some of the bigger convention spots.