PDA

View Full Version : Wellington raises lab prices.

rayonline_nz
10-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Hiya, I normally get my slides done thru WPS as I shoot minimally, I know there is a dude in Palmy ... may try that next time.

They used to cost $15 right .. searching my prev posts, I just checked and it's now $18.50 incl GST (developed and sleeved). I needed the slides asap so I just went to Image Lab which is quoted $17 ex GST. Due to testing a solid ND filter that I have.

Hey, while I'm in the NZ forum. Does anyone know in NZ who sells what in terms of a neutral ND filter? I don't think there is a real neutral filter, but workable filter because I shoot slide film. Given Cokin I heard is not fantastic, Hitech didn't work out, what's left? Lee or Sing Ray (under George Lepp's filters). For the round filters - Singh Ray's Mor-Slo or their Vari NDs?

Call me unfortunate, I bought a Hitech 4 stop (square) for my Cokin P (from B&H) which has a red colour cast which is probably going to be returned, need to be confirmed on slide film, but it goes red on 2 of my digital cameras (white balance not auto). I have also bought a B+W 6 stop solid ND (round) filter on eBay and it has a yellow colour cast, not as strong as the Hitech one though. If you guys are familiar with lightroom, if the camera is set to daylight, I needed 1200 adjustment in white balance (to the cool side) and a -35 adjustment for tint.

Thanks!

clayne
10-14-2010, 01:22 AM
If I'm not mistaken didn't overall taxes in NZ just go up? And 18nzd for a single roll of e6?! That's highway robbery.

Chris Nielsen
10-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Fotofirst in Palmy has my unreserved recommendation. Their website indicates process only is $12.70

P C Headland
10-15-2010, 03:24 AM
Yes, E6 prices at Image Lab (which is where PWS sends their E6) are a little eye watering these days. Eye watering and bottom clenching if you happen to be shooting E6 4x5" sheets....:cry:

Prices went up before the GST increase, then the GST increases on top.

ChrisC
10-18-2010, 06:44 AM
I remember the last time I took some 4x5 C-41 in to Imagelab he told me about the price rises. Thankfully he charged me the old prices because I was in there so often, but I haven't been in since. Now I have a good 20 sheets sitting in boxes I don't want to take in, and am a little scared to process myself for fear of not getting them quite right.

Good reason to nail my time/temp combo I guess…

clayne
10-18-2010, 12:00 PM
C-41 is dead easy. Try a few test sheets. Don't pay the extortion.

ChrisC
10-20-2010, 03:31 AM
Yeah it is easy. I've run a few test rolls through and got things close, though there's always been a slight colour shift which has put me off running important sheets through.

rayonline_nz
12-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I got an email from Dwaynne's photo lab, they're pretty quick, within 2 weeks of posting it out it's already on the way back. Prices is not bad $10NZ there and $20NZ back at current FX rates, slides are numbered and mounted (as I understand).

If you do 6 rolls together (max per the $15US return shipping cost), it's cheaper than using the main labs in NZ, but need to do some maths with Palmerston North....