PDA

View Full Version : Making a Color Emulsion

Pages : 1 [2]

holmburgers
01-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks Jim,

I did a quick search and didn't find anything yet. AgX, a member here, PM'd me about a similar scheme by Agfa back in the 70's I believe. The technology is very interesting to say the least.

justin parker
08-26-2012, 04:42 PM
holmburgers (and PE),

Will this be part of your work while you are out in Rochester? Home made C41, including the fancy home made machine for all of the coatings would be an awesome accomplishment and something I am sure many would work to recreate and perfect on their own.

I am really starting to worry that we are 5, maybe 10 years tops, away from the last C41 emulsions being readily made in all formats.

Plus, making it at home would be just so darn fun!

~Justin

ps. PE, in case you are keeping track, I haven't bought your DVD and book yet but I will very very soon. It is rapidly rising on my "to buy" list of photographic items.

Photo Engineer
08-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Justitn;

The book and DVD are sold by me and by two other companies (Fotoimpex in Germany and The Photographers Formulary in the US). I have not tracked any of the sales. Just too much to do to ask others to send me names. Sorry.

As for color, it is very complex and I believe that Ilfochrome is more likely to be duplicated. In any event, Chris and I have not talked about color yet. Too much B&W to do first.

PE

justin parker
08-26-2012, 04:49 PM
PE,

Thanks for your reply. Oh well, no need to actually really make color films yet. I suppose I am just more worried about effort being made to preserve the knowledge (foremost) and equipment (where possible) to be able to keep it going.

Thanks for the work you do in disseminating all of the knowledge that you do, not doubt at great personal cost!

Justin

Photo Engineer
08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Justin;

The cost is one unfortunate fact involved here.

I am trying to do my best with the rising cost of silver.

Thanks.

PE

holmburgers
08-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi Justin,

I agree with Ron; at the present there's so much to learn about b&w emulsions to even consider working on color stuff. But gaining an understanding of b&w emulsions is of course the pre-requisite for color, so who can say what will happen several years down the road. Plus, one of my biggest interests is definitely getting into color sensitizing for red and green, all with the idea of being able to do color (screen plates, bipacks/tripacks, color separation, etc.)

I do know from my communications with Photo Researcher, as well as Photo Engineer, that a color emulsion is complex, to put it lightly. People who have worked for Kodak their whole careers don't necessarily have the equipment, time or resources to do it easily. PR is working on it, but it's no small undertaking.

I'm glad you brought it up though; I'm glad others are interested in it!