PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys carry your cameras in?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Curt
10-18-2010, 08:03 PM
2002 TJ sunburst yellow, straight6, soft with half doors, 31x10.50's, safari rack, AC stuck on so I pulled the relay.

I ordered mine with the factory hardtop but changed it to a Bestop within two weeks, planned. It's a 1999 or Y2K-1, straight 6, 5 speed, no ac but it has the bracket for one, Forest Green Pearl coat, Full doors, tan top. It sits in the garage most of the time and has about 80,000 miles on it. I'm hoping to get out more this Fall and Winter. I had a MSD ignition system but the unit went out so I'm back to the factory model, I do have an aftermarket air flow system K&N. I put a new exhaust system on, the Banks catback and I have the exhaust header but haven't got it on yet. I do need new tires soon.

It's best when the back seat is taken out so there is more room, I need to get a box bolted down so there is at least some security. I put a security system in and it has electric widows which it didn't come with though.

Curt

Sirius Glass
10-18-2010, 08:32 PM
'95 Grand Cherokee, 4.0 liter 6 cylinders, factory air, a K&N air filter and some other mods.

Steve

Sirius Glass
10-18-2010, 08:33 PM
'95 Grand Cherokee, 4.0 liter 6 cylinders engine, automatic, factory air, a K&N air filter and some other mods. It carries a lot of camera equipment.

Steve

Robert Hall
10-19-2010, 11:10 AM
What he didnt say is that he was backing up that rock, not coming down. ;)

Brickbird
10-19-2010, 07:33 PM
My 12x20 Lotus goes in this Samsonite that I put an axle on and wheels from Harbor Freight. The tires hold 40 lbs. of air and this thing is a breeze to pull anywhere....and 4 holders will go in the front zippered area......TW
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/Grainfed/SamsoniteCart005.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/Grainfed/SamsoniteCart001.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/Grainfed/SamsoniteCart012.jpg

tim k
10-19-2010, 07:46 PM
TW your Lotus looks pretty snug in there. Nice idea.

Vaughn
10-19-2010, 10:54 PM
The thing that carries the thing I carry my camera gear in is a 2002 EuroVan Weekender (pop-top with an upper bed, but no built-ins other than a table). Photo-camping made easy!

Curt
10-19-2010, 11:50 PM
Yea that's what I need Vaughn, a EuroVan, what kind of mpg do they generally get? I rented a Nissan Altima and it got 30+ mpg but sleeping in the back seat sucked big time. I just couldn't straighten my legs out. I had back seat backs that folded down but left a hump so using the trunk for stretching legs into was out. Looks like I'm going to have my Dodge Ram gone over. I got stuck in Crescent City a couple of years ago and now that transmission is slipping again. The engine needs some work to improve the mpg, then I can pull the light weight camper trailer I have just paid off.

With that combination I can store my camera gear easily and do some sit down work. The EuroVan would be excellent though.

Brickbird
10-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Curt...I had a VW Eurovan Camper in 2000. Wished I still had it. It went to Big Bend several times and I got 20 mpg doing 60-65 mph. The pop up top with the bed was good for me but really cramped for 2 but the storage in the back was great and overall it was a great photo rig with a large camera and all the gear. Check the prices for one now on Ebay and get sick to your stomach. They are out of sight..................TW

Curt
10-20-2010, 01:17 AM
I just did an hour ago and wow, so many people what one these days, the car companies should make a newer model that gets 30 or 40 and is self contained like the EuroVan. An undated model and not a full blown RV. There are places that it can go that a tractor trailer can't.

Vaughn
10-20-2010, 02:33 AM
Yeah, 30 MPG would be nice -- 20 MPG is the best I can get -- and it likes the medium grade. Much more robust than the standard minivan...much better clearance. traveling alone, I take the bed out of the top so I can stand up with the top popped. More power than it really needs (say the old air-cooled VW bug and van driver).

Me and my 3 boys hit the road in it often. The rear-facing seat behind the front passenger seat has been removed for more floor space. Two boys sleep up top, me and another boy down below.

Had a visit from Jim Fitzgerald a week ago. We went out photographing for the day. So into the Eurovan went me with my 8x10, and Jim with his 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 (each with a dedicated tripod). No space problems -- we could have easily fit in the 14x17 he is presently building, too!

Oil changes are a PITA

Vaughn

Jim Fitzgerald
10-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah, 30 MPG would be nice -- 20 MPG is the best I can get -- and it likes the medium grade. Much more robust than the standard minivan...much better clearance. traveling alone, I take the bed out of the top so I can stand up with the top popped. More power than it really needs (say the old air-cooled VW bug and van driver).

Me and my 3 boys hit the road in it often. The rear-facing seat behind the front passenger seat has been removed for more floor space. Two boys sleep up top, me and another boy down below.

Had a visit from Jim Fitzgerald a week ago. We went out photographing for the day. So into the Eurovan went me with my 8x10, and Jim with his 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 (each with a dedicated tripod). No space problems -- we could have easily fit in the 14x17 he is presently building, too!

Oil changes are a PITA

Vaughn

I must say that it was really easy working out of Vaughn's van. Yes I wish I would of had the 14x17 with me. So much to photograph right by the road. Especially on the road in Jedidiah Smith. I did not want to come back. As it was got back well after dark. Working out of my Tundra with three systems was okay but it was much easier in Vaughn's van.

BTW, I just got back from Zion and I took the 8x10 and 8x20 on this trip. My 8x20 fits perfect in my MEI backpack that I use for my 11x14. It is an old pack and Vaughn has one and I love mine. I'm not a big guy and the pack for the 8x20, REI Mars 85 is too big for my torso so I tried the MEI pack and to my surprise it worked great. Hiked all over Zion with it.

Jim

Brickbird
10-20-2010, 10:21 AM
I have looked into an alternative and might get a Chevy cargo van then drive down to Austin to Sportsmobile and have them put their pop-up roof on it in place of the factory roof. It pushes up and you can stand up in the van and there is a bed up there when it's up. The trade-off is of course the worst gas mileage on the planet. I have the "blueprints" done for the inside. Queen sized bed frame that is removable and about 2 feet off the floor so all gear could be stored under the bed. Air conditioner in one of the back doors that is permanently mounted in a spare cargo door and I could swap them out when not needed by just removing the pins. Or I could forget the whole van thing and just buy $30,000 worth of film? Decisions, decisions.....................TW

Vaughn
10-20-2010, 01:40 PM
For $30,000, you can rent the type of vehicle you need when you need it for the next five to ten years, and still have lots of money left over for film!

Website for MEI Packs -- I have the Trekker II.

http://www.meipacks.com/TravelPacks01.html

John Jarosz
10-24-2010, 09:06 AM
8x20 in a hard case modified to have some larger wheels.

tim k
10-25-2010, 05:29 PM
John that looks very nice.

Brickbird
10-25-2010, 06:44 PM
John.....Nice job with the case. It looks like you added an axle and wheels like I did to the Samsonite. Is that one of the Pelican monsta cases and if so, which number. Some details of the wheels with pics would be greatly appreciated as I am contemplating the large Pelican myself as one of the larger ones they make might hold the 12x20 and protect it much more than the Samsonite.............TW

John Jarosz
10-26-2010, 07:09 PM
The case is similar to a Pelican but it's from Calumet. (Their # WT6840)

It's slightly larger and cheaper than the Pelican version. I believe its Italian (HPRC)

Wheels are mounted on a threaded rod. A square aluminum extrusion bolted to the case holds the axle in place. Castellated nuts with spring clips keep the wheels in position. The wheels were from Lowes and the axle and threaded rod were from Ace hardware. I did make the plastic wheel spacers and bearings on a lathe.

When the wheels are removed the case fits into the trunk under the bed of my pick-up. That's a very handy but secure place to keep the whole mess.

John

Brickbird
10-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Thank you John. That's all I needed to dive into the lab. If I make it and it gets great comments, I'll give you all the credit. If someone thinks it stinks, I'll tell 'em I made it! Appreciate the photos.....................TW

Vaughn
10-26-2010, 10:00 PM
8x20 in a hard case modified to have some larger wheels.

Looks great, John. How much does the whole thing weigh once you get rolling?

If I go that large, something like that -- with the ability to easily take off the wheels and lash the rest of it onto a pack frame (perhaps with a platform on the bottom like the elk hauling packs) -- would be nice for when the wheel can't get me there. Depends on how much weight the case adds, as there are lighter solutions. The protection would be nice.