PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay Area APUG'er "Show & Wine"

Pages : 1 [2]

galyons
10-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Just a reminder! Less than a week to our Bay Area APUG'er get together Saturday, October 9 around 4 PM.

Bring prints to show! Share a local shooting spot! BYOB! BBQ! and BS!

Please PM if you are planning to attend so I can get a rough idea on provisioning!!

See you then,
Geary

carlajpatterson
10-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Mateo: If you see this, and are in the least bit inclined, I wonder if you might do me a favor... there is an exhibit of Day of the Dead altars at the Steinbeck Center and I can't make it down there before it closes (November 2nd). I was wondering if you would pick me up any available handouts they provide with pictures. I am hosting a Day of the Dead mail art show and would also welcome anything you photographed to do with the theme.

Mail art is one of those random acts of kindness concepts - all you get out of it is your name shared with other artists who participate and paper documentation of the results. In my case, I also put up online galleries of mail art shows I host (see http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patterson/mailart/ where we maintain the show which we did in connection with our marriage in 1999 - Euphemisms for Marriage). But, I'm trying to get more photographers into mail art - we are woefully under-represented. The most common piece of mail art is a post card. :)

I've been part of what mail artists call 'the eternal network' since the 70's and I've met hundreds of artists from around the world through participating in shows and, in the past few years, online forums. It used to be strictly snail mail and that's still where the shows 'occur' but online posting of calls has lowered the cost and expanded the concept to reach more people.

Anyone interested in the mail art call can read more about it at my website, the second URL below my name below.

Aggie
10-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Carla it depends on where you are located. IN the bay area/ Fremont, contact the Sun Gallery. Fernando Hernandez does a major installation each year for Dia de los Muertes. I'm sure he will help you also.

carlajpatterson
10-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I probably didn't phrase that with enough context (in spite of the volume of words!)... I actually have access to dozens of Day of the Dead events here in the Bay Area but that exhibit at the Steinbeck Center really sounded like one I'd hate to miss. I am also participating in several local DOD altar events as well as hosting this mail art show. This is my favorite holiday of this or any year and arts organizations have been getting on the bandwagon the past few years, starting with the Oakland Museum many years ago. Now, Richmond Art Center and The Legion of Honor, as well as The Steinbeck Center, just to mention a few, are adding their installations. Even the UC Botanical Garden is getting in on the act this year! Most of these are organizations I belong to or have easy access to but not the Steinbeck. Nice to know about the Fremont connection - that's also a bit out of the way for me this year but I have a dear artist friend there who will probably be there. :)

bmac
10-14-2004, 05:46 PM
I am a big fan of Day of the Dead too. Anyone know if there is a parade in SF this year or just a festival?

Mateo
10-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey Carla,

I'll see what I can get. The Steinbeck Museum is all of 4 blocks from my house so maybe I'll walk down there today or tommorow.

Aggie
10-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Since we are all in different areas of the bay area, why not each of us cover the part we know about for the Day of the Dead? We can then pool our shots.

carlajpatterson
10-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks Mateo! Graham told me you'd posted in here about it but I am not used to how to see if there are new posts in here yet. (!)

Aggie: That's a great idea and, if any of you are willing, please send a postcard of one or more of your images to the Day of the Dead mail art show so I can feature them in the online docs! You'd be surprised how many hits my mail art galleries get. :)

Oh, and my mailing address is:

Carla Cryptic
PO Box 1274
Berkeley, CA 94701

Aggie
10-16-2004, 12:37 PM
DID YOU SAY POSTCARDS??????? HMMMM I HAVE BEEN KNOWN ON OCCASION TO DO A POSTCARD OR TWO IN A MULTIPLE MAILING.

Wonder if anyone else in the forums would care to join in from other parts of the world that celebrate Day of the Dead, or Dia de lo Muertes?