PDA

View Full Version : Dial set shutter question

apkujeong
10-20-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a quick question about dial set shutters - I have a few which have an arrow on the speed selector indicating that the dial should only be turned anti-clockwise. I recently looked at a dial set shutter without an arrow on the selector, can these types be turned both clockwise and anti-clockwise?

Andrew K
10-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi

The dial sets the cam for the slow speed governor. Even though you can spin the dial in either direction on all shutters, when you move from B to the highest shutter speed (clockwise) you can damage she speed setting arm which couples into the cam (well you can bend it).

Thats why its best to set the shuttersanti-clockwise - especially if you are going from B to the highest shutter speed

Cheers

Andrew

apkujeong
10-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks Andrew, I'd figured anti-clockwise would be safest, just wondered why there's no arrow on this particular shutter.

apkujeong
10-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Bit of a follow up - I've been emailed some info that some dial set shutters (without indicator arrow) stop turning at 1 second, these turn clockwise to get back to the fast speeds. Can anyone else confirm this?

Should explain, the reason I'm curious is I'm thinking of buying a lens with such a shutter from an online store, would like to know these details in advance.