PDA

View Full Version : Questions and Answers

Vincent Brady
11-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Arising from our print showing on Sat. 13th it occurred to me that several people would like to know where a fellow photographer obtained mounting board or what paper or film was used. So how about a tread where a member can ask a question on some aspect of photography and receive answers from other members. The questions would need to be basic such as 'where did you.......?' or what did you .......? '

To start it off, I would like to ask Martin where did he obtain the wrapping paper for his small prints?

Vincent

martinhughesireland
11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Vincent: I get the plastic covers from Framing Fantastic in Antrim. Shane posts them down to me. Postage is around 8 GBP but I would normally order mounts also to make the postage worth it.

Click on this link http://www.shop.framingfantastic.co.uk/ and then go to "Catalogue overview > Mounts, Backs & Bags > Clear Polypropylene Bags"

The bags are in different sizes, If I cant get a bag the exact size of the mount I buy the next size up and fold the bag over the back of the mount board and tape it... Another option is to buy a role of polypropylene and cut it to size, cover the front of your print and just tape it down at the back....

I find them great, cheap as chips and they keep the prints and mounts spotless. They give the prints a nice shine also, almost as if they are behind glass...

M

paulgallinule
11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Great idea this Vincent,
During the print showing there was a lot of talk about a particular paper, it may of been Peter who was using it and I forgot to ask about it afterwards, anyone any ideas what I'm onabout here, it may of been from East Europe.

Paul

thefizz
11-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi Paul,

I use a lot of Fomatone paper for my lith printing, usually code 132 & 532 which are both mat finishes.

For the B&W portrait of the baby I used Adox MCC110 which I liked very much.

Was it either of those you were referring to?

Rafal Lukawiecki
11-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I'd like to ask Eddie about the Wicklow supplier of conservation mount board. I believe it was a place called Glenwood, but I have not managed to locate them yet.

In general, I am looking for a more local (than UK) supplier of mounting board (museum/conservation), interleaving paper, and those plastic wrappers you guys use. I suppose I will have to continue sourcing the dry mounting adhesive sheets from abroad (Silverprint at present, but though I had liked them for years they are getting more and more complex to work with...)

Thanks,
Rafal

paulgallinule
11-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi Peter I'd say it was the Adox paper, think I've seen it on the Silver Print site, thanks for that, Paul

monosnaps
11-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Rafal

The company that do the mounting board is http://www.glenwoodmouldings.ie/index.php?sel=5 They will have the rolls of dry mounting tissue. Just give them a ring for an exact location. Their prices are excellent.

My print inserts are from Silverprint.

martinhughesireland
11-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Hi Peter I'd say it was the Adox paper, think I've seen it on the Silver Print site, thanks for that, Paul

Macodirect are cheaper than Silverprint for Adox MCC... see link below

http://www.macodirect.de/adox-adox-glossy-c-1_17_588_634.html

paulgallinule
11-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for that Martin, I've used macodirect before and have found them easy to deal with so might have a look at some paper in the new year, Paul.

seoirse
11-16-2010, 05:00 AM
Another question for Martin.

I was always impressed by your 5x4 pinhole pics on the internet but seeing them in reality printed up has really given me the impetus to get those two cameras out that I built recently.

Peter has managed to source a handful of filmholders for me (thanks Peter) which I will have in a few weeks so all I need to do is get the film from Gunn's.

Now, my question. The first camera I intend to use has a focal length of 45mm on 5x4. The pinhole is 0.3mm in diameter so by simple calculation my fstop should be f150. Do you know of a conversion chart that would help me to calculate the correct exposure when I take my light readings (I'll be using a Sekonic meter) and how they transfer across for f150?

Eddie was saying that Fuji Acros is unaffected by reciprocity so I will likely go for that or do you think that Ilford or Foma is better?

I'd appreciate any advice you might have for me Martin.

Thanks,
George.

martinhughesireland
11-16-2010, 09:04 AM
George,

I have a little gizmo for working out the exposures for large F stop numbers like F150. Very easy to use and I find it great... Let me try to make one for you

I use Ilford HP5+ for my pinholes. I rate it at iso 200 and dev in xtol or id11.
ID11 seems to produce the better negs for print for 4x5 pinholes. My times in ID-11 are 1+3 for 13 mins. NOTE: I only ever shoot pinholes in bright light. At F132 which is near F150 this gives me an exposure time of between 1 and 10 seconds but its normally 4 seconds (these times include reciprocity failure). My two reasons for using HP5+ are that its available in Gunns at a good price and it also has lots of exposure latitude

Have fun
M

seoirse
11-16-2010, 09:09 AM
George,

I have a little gizmo for working out the exposures for large F stop numbers like F150. Very easy to use and I find it great... Let me try to make one for you

I use Ilford HP5+ for my pinholes. I rate it at iso 200 and dev in xtol or id11.
ID11 seems to produce the better negs for print for 4x5 pinholes. My times in ID-11 are 1+3 for 13 mins. NOTE: I only ever shoot pinholes in bright light. At F132 which is near F150 this gives me an exposure time of between 1 and 10 seconds but its normally 4 seconds (these times include reciprocity failure). My two reasons for using HP5+ are that its available in Gunns at a good price and it also has lots of exposure latitude

Have fun
M

Martin,

That's very useful information about the film.

I don't want you to go to too much trouble on the exposure calculator but if you feel that you could put something together for me I would be eternally grateful.

I'm looking forward to this now!
:D