PDA

View Full Version : Per Volquartz workshop

Pages : [1] 2

Aggie
08-23-2004, 12:48 AM
The next FREE large format workshop by Per Volquartz will be held Nov. 13-19. The location will be Zion National Park.

This area is very special to me. I lived in Cedar City Utah for 8 years. I spent 2 seasons working at the main lodge in Zion. Later I worked for a tour company that toured around the 4 corners region. I will have maps for eveyone to places most photographers don't see. Hopefully there will be enough 4x4's to get everyone to some of the places.

We will be staying at a motel/campground complex. That way those who wish to camp can.

November in Zion is enchanting with the light perfect to highlight the red rock. If the weather permits, it is also a good time to hike the narrows while the water level of the Virgin River is low.

For those who might fly in to join us, the nearest large airport is Las Vegas. St. George Utah which is about 35 miles away has commuter service from Las vegas to it's airport. there are car rental agencies in both cities. I know I will be passing through each of those towns. I have room for one person if they want to ride along from an airport.

There are some excellent gourmet resturants in Springdale. Facilities at the campground can accomadate those who which to cook their own meals. Springdale only has small grocery stores. Hurricane Utah about 18 miles away has large markets.

As usual the evenings will have demonstrations, good conversations, and for those who wish, good wine. I am wimping out and getting a motel room. I plan on having equipment along to process some of the shots I take. Those who need a darkroom, can use my jerry rigged bathroom darkroom.

galyons
08-23-2004, 11:31 AM
If you can take the time to join this workshop you should! There is a core of regular attendees that bring a wealth of knowledge to share! (And a great bunch of folks to spend time with as well!!) Per's work is magnificent and his willingness to share vision, techniques and critiques is wonderful.

Cheers,
Geary

Aggie
08-25-2004, 01:11 AM
The following is an email I received today from Per. Call and say you saw $65 for a motel room on the web site. Besides it is after the peak season and you should be able to get their discount price. Beleive me I will make sure the prices are as low for the motel rooms as this tight fisted dane can get them.

The 2004 FREE Zion Large Format Workshop / Gettogether:

Date: Sat. November 13 through Thursday November 18.
Place: Springdale Campground - Motel;
This facility is located just outside the entrance to Zion National Park.
It has a large campground (with about 100 tent sites);
2 tents per site - one car per site. $20 per site per night.
The camp ground has showers, rest rooms, laundry facilities.

Motel rooms start at around $75.00 per night.

Make your campground / motel reservation by calling
Brooke at 435 772 3237.

November is a wonderful time in the Zion area.
It is still fall and the weather should be spectacular.

To sign up for the workshop please email me
with the following information:

Name of Workshop / Gettogether: ZION
Your Name
Email address
Number of people in your party
Car license number
Telephone (cell) number.
Expected time / day of arrival

Email volquartz@volquartz.com
and please mark your email "ZION 2004"

mark
08-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Aggie

What goes on the first weekend?

Aggie
08-25-2004, 01:04 PM
we go out early each morning (I go under protest) we do mini demos during the noon time, we go out in the afternoon, we gather for the evening, sometimes pot luck dinner thing, the wine is broken out, the talks get wild, and the guys stay up all night. Per critiques peoples photos, good times, good people, good info, good sharing. Well worth being there for a day, a few days, or the whole time.

Aggie
08-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Being the thrifty person that I am, I found the cheapest non camping place to stay. It is the Best western motel, which is one of the nicers ones in town. If you have aarp you can get it for $63 a night.

Aggie
10-03-2004, 07:23 PM
Bump I have had a lot of questions about this. It is still happening. Here are the particulars.

lee
10-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Bump I have had a lot of questions about this. It is still happening. Here are the particulars.

where?

lee\c

Aggie
10-10-2004, 12:38 AM
I'm bumping this up again. It is getting closer to the workshop. I have been talking to some of the local pro photographers. One in particular is in with two other guys and own a local photography gallery. They will be attending and meeting thos who attend. To my surprise there are now 3 photo galleries in Springdale. for a town of 350 people that is quite a few.

I have been asked about sources for groceries. Hurricane about 20 minute drive away has large grocery stores to rival anything you would find in a large city. In Springdale there are several small grocery stores, and one organic/ orchard /deli shop. The town has many fine gourmet restaurants, and everything in between including two pizza places.

Temperatures will be cool to cold at night with possibilities of snow if it has a passing storm front. The snow will melt before noon if it even happens. What will be the temperatures most times during the day, are moderate to very nice. dress in layers so that when the day is around 60 F you can take some layers off. During the evening it can drop down to the 20's to 30'sF

Aggie
10-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Bumping this up again. So far over 36 have let Per alone know they are going, and I have several that have told me they are going. This looks to be the biggest workshop gathering yet. Most are apuggers that have said they are going.

Per told me that J&C has offered a 20% discount to those attending. If you want and your flying in, I'm staying at the Best Western in Springdale. Have your film/supplies shipped there care of me, and I will hold them for you. There is a pro shop in St. George that can process any of the film we do if you need that done. I will have my set up to do 4x5 sheets with me.

With the recent changes in the weather be sure to have layers. We could get anything from snow to sunshine. If it snows, it is awesome. The snows melt by noon, and create mists on the Mt. tops as they melt.

I'll take you from places with waterfalls to old pioneer forts. The ghost town they shot the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is only a couple of miles from where we will be staying. On top of Cedar Mt. there is a very good bristlecone pine forest. The first breaks are wilder than Bryce Canyon, and a lot closer. There is so much around, you won't have enough time in just one week.

mikewhi
10-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Man, I wish I could go. But I just started a new job today and I just got back from 2 weeks in the Eastern Sierras and Yosemite. I wonder if I can manage to get fired before the end of the month?

I'd love to photograph old pioneer farts.

-Mike

Aggie
10-18-2004, 11:52 PM
lol, I had to double check to see if I had misspelled fort. Funny thing is, So. Utah has a strange accent. The old line small town dwellers elongate the a's. a typical phrase would be gash Darthy you have a gargous arnge farmal. Translation - gosh Dorthy you have a gorgous orange formal. It;s the phrase you use to get your mouth screwed up enough to sound like a local.

Aggie
10-23-2004, 09:32 PM
bump

Looks to be near or over 50 people going to this workshop. 42 confirmed to Per, and about 8 confirmed to me, with a few deciding. Around 30 apuggers in the group. Sort of a mini conf. in the making.

Aggie
10-31-2004, 07:40 PM
For those of you have not conatced Per with your information, here is the link to his workshop page with full details as to what he wants and his email address to send it to.

http://www.volquartz.com/pervolquartz/wrkshops.html

This is turning into be quite the gathering of apug members with nearly 60 +/- people in attendance.

mark
11-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Honestly I had hoped for a smaller crowd. I do not get along well in a crowd, I get clausterphobic. If I disappear don't get offended I went off to recharge my batteries and burn some film for a while.

Aggie
11-01-2004, 04:34 PM
No problem Mark, We are going to divide the crowd into smaller groups and we have maps to all the good places. We will then go in different directions so that there is not a mass crowd at any one place. When we do the disscussions, I am looking into either the grade school or a community center to hold us. that will be at the noon hour and during the evenings. Once the liquid starts to flow in the evenings, the more the merrier. Some fo the places, are the canyon itself, the North part of the canyon, Cedar Mountain, Navajo Lake, Bryce Canyon, Pipe Springs National Monument, Grafton, and a few of my favorite spots. So no matter what we will have smaller groups.

We are just a bit in awe of the numbers of people who are coming.

zerochance
11-12-2004, 01:00 AM
This is Aggie's husband. Aggie and Jason have arrived at Zion Canyon this evening. The fall colors are reported to be gorgeous, with several of the canyon's waterfalls running as there is already quite a bit of early season snow at the upper elevations, particularly in the east section of the park. If you're getting ready to leave for the workshop, remember to pack some cold weather gear, as more snow is expected over the next few days.

I'll post more as the news gets back to me.

Dan

photomc
11-12-2004, 07:45 AM
Dan, Thanks for the update we always enjoy updates from Aggie..

mark
11-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks-Enjoy your vacation dan.

Aggie
11-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Well I'm home! For those who missed this workshop, it was probably te best one that Per has ever had. He has decided to make it a yearly event. (going to Zion) I think what tipped his decision was taking him out to the ghost town, Grafton. Once people saw what I was trying for the first few days to interest them in, the Canyon was pushed into the background. Then again it could be that cute waitress at the Pioneer resturant that could have a bit to do with it also.

Those that camped out enjoyed overnight temperatures dipping down to 27 degrees. Sharon and i had connecting rooms in a nice warm motel, and set up darkroom facilities so those who wanted to could develope film. I managed to do 10 rolls (don't ask why I reverted to my mamiya) While Jason holds the record for processing 64 sheets of film.

For those who made it to photo expo, John Layton was there showing off his new 4x5 camera he introduced in New York. A sweet camera, and one If hubby knew I would like to have, would shaking his head again.

We did have one surprise attendee that wanted to learn large format. He was taken in hand by many each day to learn the intricacies of shooting LF. That is where my 4x5 ended up for the last few days. I must say if many of the women saw his picture, (I'm sure Sharon will post it) you will know the kind of fun you missed out on. He is not as wild as his reputation proclaims.

Speaking of women, Sharon and I were the only two who went. All of the men were extremely wonderful, and helpful. Who says photographers are not gentelmen!

one funny incident did happen. One evening we were sitting around a picnic table, waiting for many to return for dinner. While we were talking, I noticed that the clouds had parted just enough to slash bright color across the lower foothils as if a painter had used a narrow brush. It was so brilliant, we were all awe struck by the display. We got up and stood in the clearing watching as the color band widened and marched up the canyon walls. Per made the comment, " All these photographers, and not one has a camera!" Matt ran to his truck saying, " I can get that fast, I have a digital." Well being the diva of non digital, I could not let that challenge go. I said I could beat him to the shot. He had to rummage for his camera. I had mine alread attached on the tripod, lens cap off, a new roll loaded. We raced back to the clearing, Him fiddling with settings, me extending the legs of the tripod as we went. He had to do some shifting, and looking at his small screen while I took the spot meter readings and quickly had it set. I shot off the rool, and he got one shot. He turned to me, and I smiled broadly back at him. His only comment was, "Bitch!" which I know was meant in good humor. Just goes to show digital is not always the fastest medium!