PDA

View Full Version : Emulsion Makers Book Club, Selection One: Photographic Emulsions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

MattKing
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Does anyone else here wonder if PE's avatar and Umut's avatar were both shot in the same studio?

Photo Engineer
12-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Matt;

IDK which photo this was, but it was taken in about 1997. If it was a pass photo, it was taken in the Security Services Office at KP in Building 28. If it was one of the retirement photos it was either taken at Kodak Office or at the KRL Photo Studio by Earl Kage.

If Umut can match any of that, then maybe! :D

I don't look like that today, courtesy of 5 years of steroids.

PE

Mustafa Umut Sarac
12-14-2010, 10:41 AM
It was taken at a studio for my american visa. I was working as a manager of Heidelberg Newspaper Printing Machines. We had a lear jet and when something wrong with the machines , jet flies to France , get the part and the repairman and flies back . I had money to buy a 8 meters long steel yacht but today I quit working and shoot for a dime. One of my friend saw my digital engraving on visa and said that hey they put your picture like an american president :) I dont look like it today , I am older .

holmburgers
12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
haha, that's too funny... MattKing, honestly, I've wondered the same thing :laugh:

Mustafa Umut Sarac
12-14-2010, 11:46 AM
:p

Mustafa Umut Sarac
12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
We have a old saying , old wolf becomes the dogs fun.

dwross
12-14-2010, 12:09 PM
I, on the other hand, look more and more like my avatar with each passing year. I think it's very important to honestly share with the entire world each wrinkle, sag, and mysterious sproutings of acrylic fibers.

Photo Engineer
12-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I had a portrait taken this week. I might just use it. It is the first one since 1997.

PE

wildbillbugman
12-14-2010, 08:27 PM
I like my avatar just the way it is.
Bill

wildbillbugman
12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Denise,
Your avatar looks more like me than it looks like you. Wassup wit dat?
Bill

Kirk Keyes
12-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Bill, it's your mustache.

Jerevan
12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Denise,

noticed the Silver Gelatin book in your literature list. It is now in a reprinted edition. I've found it invaluable for various questions, especially when you don't have a computer handy in the darkroom.

Still reading the curriculum, now on chapter 3. :)

dwross
12-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Denise, Still reading the curriculum, now on chapter 3. :)

Excellent! I still hope we can have a meaningful, educational discussion here, but even if that's not in the stars, the book is invaluable on a personal level.

Thanks for the heads-up on Silver Gelatin. It's a great book. I can't seem to find the new (i.e. affordable) reprint, though. The copies I see available on the internet are still in the >$100 range. The book should definitely be in everyone's library, so I'll post a notice asap after I see good prices.

I'm in the process of reworking the literature list. Like everything else on TLF, it's gotten big and unwieldy. It will soon be alphabetized, and sorted into categories around accessibility, particularly the titles available as Google books and/or TLF books.

I'm taking the 'big and unwieldy' issue seriously. I have a boatload of new recipes and related information waiting for posting until I figure out the best ways not only to make TLF maximally usable, and also to make it easier to maintain the site. Html-crunching has got to be one of the curses of the modern age :p.

On related notes: Over the weekend, I posted the searchable .pdf that Terry Holsinger made of The Photographic Emulsion.

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/LiteratureList/LiteratureListPart1.htm.

Also, I recently added a new section to TLF on old technical booklets. They are very well worth reading. (For anyone interested in this sort of thing, of course :) )

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Booklets/BookletsPart1.htm

Jerevan
12-20-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't know if the book is exclusive to Silverprint, but at 20, it seems a bit better than $100. Possibly, the shipping from UK kills the deal, I don't know. As far as I can see, it is a straight reprint.

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/ProductByGroup.asp?PrGrp=163

Once upon a time I was a html-crunching slave... with a less than perfect typing speed too. :)

dwross
12-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Of course! Go to the source. (Stage direction: bang head on desk :blink:) I'll update my lit list.

Search engines are mysterious beasts. I wonder what it takes to get the new version of Silver Gelatin to come up on Google. I hope it's not a problem that's about to get worse.

Congratulations on escaping your html slavery! Escaping computers, in general, is an intriguing thought. I was adding up the time in a week that disappears in front of a monitor, and I'm considering leaving the monster turned off most of the time. Doubt I could follow through on it, but still... 'intriguing thought'.

Kirk Keyes
12-24-2010, 02:19 PM
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Isaac Asimov

wildbillbugman
12-24-2010, 08:38 PM
:blink: My title says what I intend.

Kirk Keyes
12-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Bill - those are my feeling exactly.

Have you notice that todays kids (Yes, I guess I'm officially an "old guy" now) don't wear wrist watches - they look to their cell phones instead of thier watch?

wildbillbugman
12-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Kirk-I am so old that I still refuse to carry a cellphone. I am not available to anyone and everyone 24/7. A bee in a hive.
Bill

dwross
12-26-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi, All. I hope everyone had a nice Solstice.

Quick note: I've finished the re-tooling of the Light Farm literature list. http://thelightfarm.com/Map/LiteratureList/LiteratureListPart1.htm, including the search'able The Photographic Emulsion, provided by Terry Holsinger. I'll ask a favor, if I may. I've tried to find all titles that are available as free reads on the computer, and/or reprints. If you happen upon any I've missed, could you let me know? More and more titles come up all the time.

Bill and Kirk: You're behind the times. The lines have blurred to invisibility between computer browser, email, telephone, camera, clock, and calculator. All one little magic box. No 'fear' here, but I do admit to a doubletake when I see someone stroking their phone like Gollum with his 'precious' :D.