PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Developers - Coffee and all

Pages : 1 2 [3]

titrisol
05-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Ascorbate with carbonate to pH about 10 does indeed develop
I just tried it with a piece of film leader and it turned it black in about 2 minutes (Ilford Fp4)

jsouther
08-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Help Titrisol!!

I followed the recipe for Caffenol for 500ml as follows:

500 ml of water (for 120)
1 gram Vitamin C
4 teaspoons washing soda
8 teaspoons instant coffee

I mixed the Vitamin C first till completely dissolved (@ 75 degrees), then baking soda till completely dissolved, then coffee till dissolved.

And tried to develop 2 rolls of 35mm. It was fomapan 100 exposed at asa 64. Agitation 5 sec. (gentle) every minute. Total dev time 30 minutes at 75 deg.

I got the absolute faintest, barely there negs. The film leader was a pale grey.

Any suggestions what I did wrong? Too many rolls? Temp to hot?

kwmullet
08-24-2006, 01:59 PM
[...]
4 teaspoons washing soda
8 teaspoons instant coffee

I mixed the Vitamin C first till completely dissolved (@ 75 degrees), then baking soda till completely dissolved, then coffee till dissolved.
[...]

Did you mean to say baking soda above? Washing soda and baking soda are two different things.

jsouther
08-24-2006, 02:06 PM
There you have it. I'm a moron.

I'm not sure now why I was thinking they were the same. How embarrassing...

Thanks for setting it straight for me kwmullet.

I'll go shrivel up and hide in the corner now :)

kwmullet
08-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Your experiment didn't fail, though. You haven't lost a session with Caffenol, you've invented Caffenol-Minus! The alternate developer for N-4 development! :)

jsouther
08-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Yes indeed! I guess I was just really anxious to try this out and got confused.

And to think I just spent a chunk of change on bulk chemicals and a scale, etc... I really need to pay better attention!

Thanks for making me feel better, though I confess my face is still beet red!

Claire Senft
08-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I want the ultimate in a wide variety of developing agents. Here is my formula that I hope to test.

16 ounces of orange juice
4 tablespoons of regular coffee
5 ounces of bacon fat
1 egg
top of to 1 liter with 98.6F pee.

Strain thru 4 slices toast..unbuttered

heat to 216F for 1/2 hour.

Find a new place to live.

Steve Smith
08-25-2006, 09:50 AM
I have just tried the 8 oz water, 2 tsp soda and 4 tsp coffee recipe to develop a roll of FP4+ and it worked!

I was expecting fairly light, brown stained images but I actually got decent dark grey images. Even the first half of the roll where some idiot (me) had left the camera set to 400 ASA would just about be printable.

I might try to print some tonight.

Steve.

alinCiortea
03-29-2009, 12:44 PM
for Tri-X and Fomapan 100, about 30 minutes -- this is at 68-70 F, with agitation ten seconds out of each minute.

I've only used one inversion per minute and might have missed a couple. The negative is very very thin... I hope I can scan it though. I guess it's either the agitation, or the my cheap coffee was too cheap for this purpose :D
I'm considering an extra tsp. of coffee next time for the same agitation pattern.

LE> oh, wait. dumbass me... i've increased the water to 12oz but added the rest as for 8oz :|

alinCiortea
03-29-2009, 05:53 PM
it did scan :)