PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 22 signup

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Roger Thoms
01-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Silly question perhaps from a first timer: reading the comments thread about the last round, are most people using the same image for all their cards or a different one? It sounds like it is the same image which I guess makes sense, then everyone can compare them (well, aside from differences between the individual prints of course).

Will we be sending extras to Simon at Ilford and Brad at Kodak again? Will Brad be upset to see Ilford post card paper?

First off don't forget Sean here at Apug if you send out extra cards.

As far as the images I usually do the same image for every card, but for round 21 I decided to mix it up a little and did six different images from a series of architectural shots I took of building reflections. I always sign up for the max and print about 60 cards so it was nice change of pace. For round 22 I'll probably revert back to printing a single image.

Roger

Laurent
01-20-2011, 02:45 AM

As far as the images I usually do the same image for every card, but for round 21 I decided to mix it up a little and did six different images from a series of architectural shots I took of building reflections. I always sign up for the max and print about 60 cards so it was nice change of pace. For round 22 I'll probably revert back to printing a single image.

Roger

I usually mix several images, but I sometimes like to be printing the same, as this helps me in being consistent in my printing.

hpulley
01-20-2011, 05:43 AM

Roger

Sean in NZ, check!

I ordered a new RC drying rack that holds 20 5x7/4x6 pictures and I'm hoping that my old (was my father's) Eagle 8-sheet dryer will also hold 8 of them (I hope the 4x6 postcards aren't too short) in which case I can do my promised 20 plus the 3 extras, could even do 25 plus 3 without having to see if the first ones done can be taken off yet which is what I do today. Otherwise I'll need to get a second 20-picture dryer or do them in two batches.

How do most people manage to do the max at once? Batches or a lot of drying space? Drying space is my main struggle. RC isn't too bad but do some of you do max in fiber? I'd need to load them all into my drying press, could be done I guess. Maybe I'll do 5x7 fiber postcards some time, will see.

rst
01-20-2011, 05:58 AM
I have screens, one screen takes 16 5x7 if it is full I place another screen on top of it. To keep them away from each other I use a 35mm film canister at every corner. If the second gets full ...

Cheers
Ruediger

Roger Thoms
01-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Sean in NZ, check!

How do most people manage to do the max at once? Batches or a lot of drying space? Drying space is my main struggle. RC isn't too bad but do some of you do max in fiber?

I have about 8 drying screens that are about 24"x30" which I use for fiber. For RC I have the choice of the screens or an Edwards Engineering paper dryer depending on whether on not I want to take the prints home the same day. I print in a friends darkroom.

Roger

MattKing
01-20-2011, 01:58 PM
For drying RC I have a couple of plastic coated racks that are intended for kitchen cupboards - like these:

http://www.storables.com/10-2-tier-white-shelf.html

I use them upside down, on top of a towel.

EDIT: as shown here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=808613

But one of these from a thrift store should work fine:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091311

Mick Fagan
01-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Rüdiger, I have just finished printing and writing the addresses for round 21, postage stamps on Monday and they are off.

I have already printed round 22 and can do a maximum of 61 postcards, as that is what I printed. As I was near the end of the box I just whacked the rest through the Durst Printo.

Took me about 40 minutes to print the 61 postcards, including washing and drying. I dry with a ROWI 300 mm wide RC paper dryer, for those who would like to know.

As for those people who insist in attempting to change the postcard exchange into a print exchange, by using cardboard supported and fully enveloped prints, please don't.

This is a postcard exchange, not a glorified mini print exchange. If you wish to participate in a print exchange, please do, but not in the postcard exchange.

I don't care if you feel that the value of the postage, with various weighted envelopes, gives you an apparent better value for money, this is a postcard exchange.

Seeing just how well, or how not so well a postcard made itself around the world, is half the fun, checking out the image is the other half of the fun.

Mick.

rst
01-23-2011, 03:26 AM
OK folks, you read it, Mick is up to 61, we are so far at 42, come into the postcard exchange and find out how much fun it is.

And I can second Mick a bit, it is a postcard exchange, that some cards arrive a little bit worn out is part of it. I even send my own postcard to myself because that is just more authentic.

Hey Mick, although I doubt that it makes any difference, but this is the first round that I remember that you do not sign-in for the MAX :whistling: :laugh:

Cheers
Ruediger

rst
01-23-2011, 03:29 AM
Oh, and here is an updated list:

5stringdeath (20)
anikin (MAX)
BirgerA (MAX)
Black Dog (MAX)
BoxBrownie (20)
ccross (20)
crispinuk (25)
Dave Martiny (30)
djhopscotch (25)
drpsilver (MAX)
Fleath (MAX)
George Nova Scotia (MAX)
gurkenprinz (40)
HowardDvorin (MAX)
hpulley (20)
htimsdj (10)
ignatiu5 (25)
johnnywalker (20)
jst (15)
Kevin Kehler (25)
kraker (25)
Laurent (MAX)
lorirfrommontana (MAX)
Marianne (20)
markrewald (MAX)
MattKing (28)
meltronic (25)
Mick Fagan (61)
Mike Wilde (30)
Moopheus (MAX)
Oxleyroad (30)
ozphoto (20)
paul_c5x4 (15)
piu58 (20)
rai (25)
Rob Skeoch (MAX)
rst (40)
rtbadman (MAX)
seadrive (25)
sepiareverb (20)
sly (40)
Tim Gray (MAX)

Cheers
Ruediger

Tim Gray
01-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Man I wish I could print 60 cards in 40 minutes. It takes me about two hours. The two limiting factors are the time to process the prints (duh) and drying space. I can only dry 16 cards at a time. So I do a 16 card batch, then take a little break, then do the next batch. While the next batch goes up, I take down the dry ones from the first batch.

I really need to work on a drying solution and figure out how to process more than 2 prints at a time :D

meltronic
01-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Since I only use RC for these postcard exchanges, it's easy just to hang the prints on a line with clips or clothespins to dry. Much more space-saving than laying them flat. I'm only limited by the number of clips at my disposal.

hpulley
01-23-2011, 11:09 AM
I got my Paterson drying rack with my Ilford Pearl Postcard pack so I can now dry 20 on that rack and 8 on my old Falcon, assuming the postcards don't fall through it, for the 3 extras plus perhaps one to mail myself which sounds like a fun idea. If I really get into it for the next round I'll get a second Paterson rack as they snap together.

Roger Thoms
01-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey, don't care one way or another whether people sent my cards in an envelope or not. Just enjoy getting the cards. As far as drying a couple of fiberglass window screens and you good to go. And I process 6 at a time and just shuffle through the stack in the trays. I could do more but six is comfortable and I'm not in that big of a hurry. I always mail myself a card and it goes in the album with all the others so that I have a record of what I sent for that round.

Roger

Tim Gray
01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
I suck at shuffling prints. More practice.

Unfortunately my drying space is limited by the fact that my darkroom is a temporary setup in my bathroom. I need to spend some time thinking about the best way to remedy the situation.

Roger Thoms
01-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Tim, definitely gets easier with a little practice. I place the prints in the developer face down, one at a time in quick secession then take the print from the bottom and place it on top. Once the prints are in the developer I relax and shuffle a print every few seconds till my development time is up. The reason I only do 5 or 6 at a time is that I like to take them out of the developer one at time and let them drip before going in the stop. I hold a print between each finger and 5 or 6 how many I can do comfortably.

Rob Skeoch
01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Sounds like some of you guys already have your prints done.
I'm way behind the curve.... hope to buy the film soon. LOL.
-rob

Roger Thoms
01-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Not me but based on a contact sheet I have an image in mind so at least I'm off to a good start.

Roger

sly
01-23-2011, 05:05 PM
There are always the eager beavers who get stuff done and ready to go before the list is complete. There are just as many (or more!) who are stragglers whose cards don't get sent out until the next round is underway. Most folks are somewhere in between the two extremes. The good thing about this is that it means weeks of lovely anticipation every time you check the mail.

My life's been busier than usual this last little while. I've not even thought about which neg yet. Haven't checked to see how much postcard paper I have left, either. There's a good chance I'll be middle-to-the-end of the pack, but I'll get them done eventually.

vyshemirsky
01-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm in for 20 cards.
Participating for the first time. :)

ozphoto
01-23-2011, 08:46 PM
I too don't really mind if the cards are sent in envelopes - I fully understand the $$ involved when sending out. From memory when based in AU, I was spending about $40-$45 on postage if I did approx 30-35 cards. (This round if I'd sent from AU, would have been $33.00.)

I'd love to always do the max, but have to take postage costs into consideration for every road.

That being said, I love receiving from all over the world - postage marks all over the actual card or envelope, I don't care, just as long as they fill my mailbox in greater numbers than those awful bills!! ;)