PDA

View Full Version : Where to get the chemistry in Canada

Pages : 1 [2]

Bob-D659
01-05-2011, 10:52 AM
As far as I have heard, Fuji Canada don't stock cut sheet RA4 paper and Kodak have discontinued all of theirs. :( Photo/Darkroom Central always had Kodak colour paper in the fridge until there was no more available from their suppliers. The students at the local university weren't happy about it either. :( :(

hpulley
01-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Just rolls of Fuji Crystal Archive eh? Guess that will have to be ordered up as well then, assuming we can get some RA-4 chems from Rob or Henrys or Unisource since it appears that officially at least you can't get RA-4 chems shipped up from Freestyle or B&H, not all of it anyways though people keep telling me you can the websites seem to say otherwise.

Bob-D659
01-05-2011, 01:24 PM
One thing to watch for, Kodak and their distributors only ship the 10 liter kits as 4 sets per carton. Adorama, Photo Central, etc, break up the four pack sets and sell you a single 10 liter kit. Yep, truck freight $$$$ only for hazmat materials shipped from the US to Canada.

mabman
01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm another happy customer of Darkroom/Photo Central. Last time I looked at their film fridge (a few weeks ago) they still had some Kodak colour paper of some kind (I only glanced at it as I don't use it) in the bottom of the fridge - might be worth calling them if interested. Don's and Henry's in Wpg are OK if you know exactly what you want and it's fairly common - they stock some Ilford, Kodak and a bit of Fuji film as well, and to their credit Henry's (at least on Regent) does have some Ilford paper and various chems on some shelves, but the retail staff there doesn't have much knowledge about it.

Interesting note: it appears Henry's has some sort of a relationship with Freestyle - they stock (or can get) Arista Premium 400 in 35mm (Freestyle's rebranded Kodak Tri-X). Prior to that, when they first came to Winnipeg a couple of years ago, they had some Arista II on the shelf.

I think I posted this in another thread, but if you want a 1 L liquid C-41 kit (as opposed to the larger quantities Kodak now sells them in), Photographer's Formularly repackages them into 1 L kits and will ship to Canada by ground. Not cheap, though - quoting myself: "The kit is US$28.95 plus US$35.75 for shipping (via USPS). Assuming 16 rolls x 36 exp (same listed capacity as the Unicolor kits), that's $4.04/36 exp. roll - not fantastic vs. dev-only prices locally."

I asked Andrew at Photo Central to see if his Canadian Rollei film distributor could get the 1 L Rollei-branded Fuji-Hunt C-41 kits, but apparently they can't.

Photo Central did have a few E6 kits in stock the last time I was in - not sure if they can get them regularly now or not.

Also, if you're within driving distance of Winnipeg, you might want to send neelin a message - he's involved with a local art charity, who were recently donated some Konica (liquid/tablet) minilab C-41 chemistry. He's figured out how to make it usable in a small tank environment - I've devved a couple of rolls with it and it seems to work just fine so far. He *might* have a source for more of it for home use, but you'd have to ask him.

hpulley
01-05-2011, 07:07 PM
The Tetenal kits are light because they're powder, no shipping of heavy liquids. B&H to me for example 3 1L kits are $20 each plus $8 Purolator Ground shipping which is $68 plus $14 duty and HST (prepaid so you don't need to pay at the door and it flies through customs) for a total of $82. Assuming you get 16 rolls out of each 1L kit that would be 48 rolls for $82 which is $1.70/roll which is pretty good

Even with the California cancer and birth defects warnings it goes through customs quick.

mabman
01-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Keep in mind, though, the powder kits all use a combined blix instead of separate bleach and fix, which is said to affect long-term stability (and PE hates blix, so that's good enough for me :p ).

hpulley
01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Yes, it is just developer 6:30, blix 3:30, wash, stabilize, dry. It is meant to be a press kit so long term stability wasn't the most important thing. Having something safe to take carry-on was the point and it's from before the shampoo bottle craziness at the airports.

I don't think of C-41 as that permanent anyways. I know my old Kodacolor negatives aren't that permanent, already they don't look great. The old Agfacolor ones look better. Old color prints don't look great either so I'll be using B&W for anything I want to last, fiber with selenium for the prints.