PDA

View Full Version : Photostock 2011 - It's Baaaack...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

bill schwab
06-06-2011, 10:30 AM
... to lead a week long thing but I have kicked the idea about some.Go for it, Mark. It doesn't have to be a week long thing. In fact, this year the Photostock event is shorter than before at only 3 days. Even a one-day shooting gathering gets people together. Having now been to several of these including John's excellent gatherings in Ohio, I can say without a doubt that they are good for the photographic soul.

jp80874
06-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Well in that case Bill, please come back for some soul food. We hope to have another three day gathering late July or early Aug. Sorry to miss your event. The service tech said we are buying a new/replacement whole house air conditioner instead. Not my first choice, but Dolly said it is.

John

bill schwab
06-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Air conditioning would be tops on my list too, John. We had to do it last year... ugh.

I'll keep an eye out for the next gather, but will be doing a workshop in NJ as well as the Maker Faire here in Detroit in those last weekends of the month. And in August we have another group heading up to Iceland. If I can squeak it in, I will for sure. Thanks, John!

Thomas Bertilsson
06-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Heidi and I are really looking forward to this year's event. Thanks for resurrecting it, Bill! I think it'll be fantastic to run around finding new tripod holes, revisit some old ones, see what goodness Emmet County brings this time around, and most of all spend some time with fellow photographers. I really enjoyed the 2008 event.

- Thomas

Andrew Moxom
06-06-2011, 12:30 PM
I plan on being there around midday, early afternoon on Wednesday June 23rd.... Bill, do you know if the Birchwood has an external hose that we could use for washing collodion plates? Otherwise, I'll be bringing a 20x24 tray for my shower stall!

bill schwab
06-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey Andy,

Glad you're bringing your gear. Yes, there is a hose bib we can use and I have about 100 feet of hose as well. We'll get an area set-up as I plan on doing portraits of people throughout if I can. I'm going to have my tent "studio" as well. Great for diffusing light.

This is going to be fun!!

If any of you have any films, film clips... bring them along. I've added a new projection screen to the kit and we'll be screening a couple films on the projector in the basement. There is always room for more.

PS... I'll still be leading a workshop up at my place on Wednesday and won't be at the hotel until later in the day.

Andrew Moxom
06-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Brilliant work on getting the Birchwood 'Wet Plate' ready Bill. Sounds like it will be GREAT fun indeed, and I cannot wait. I'll likely be tooling around somewhere near the shore (Sturgeon Bay) around midday on Wednesday. I know this is your last day of the workshop so will likely see you later in the day.

A

Marek Warunkiewicz
06-08-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm arriving on the 22nd if anyone wants to get together early. Looking forward to meeting up with you all. Bringing an 11x14 for wet plate. Woo HOO! Staying at the Birchwood.

Thomas Bertilsson
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
We should be arriving on the 22nd as well, and will likely do similarly to Andrew and find our way to the beach for some quiet photography and enjoyment.

Jerry Basierbe
06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
I just hope Bill ordered some better weather than what we've been having here lately.

Jerry

Thomas Bertilsson
06-09-2011, 11:32 AM
I hear Schwab has a lot of influence over the weather, which could almost be considered super-human. Cool. :)

AccuWeather predicts high seventies and mostly sunny for the 22nd and 23rd, and that's as far as the forecast will stretch. And those guys never lie.

bill schwab
06-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I hear Schwab has a lot of influence over the weather, which could almost be considered super-human. Cool. :)Nothing more than a good Karma contract, Thomas! My fingers are crossed!!

bill schwab
06-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Steve Zimmerman! You're email is bouncing back! I don't want you and others to think that your registration was for naught. Out of the 60+ registrants, I'm seeing that the newsletter hasn't reached 20 of you. This could be due to SPAM filters, etc.

For those of you that might have missed the recent newsletter, you can read it onine HERE (http://mim.io/088f11).

http://mim.io/088f11

ishutteratthethought
06-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I just unchecked my anti-Schwab filter so you should be good to go.;)

Also, I will pm you my address again, I may have had a typo on the registration.

Looking forward to the event! I hope it is cloudy and foggy myself...at least while we're out shooting any way. Really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Cheers!

Steve

bill schwab
06-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Hello All,

My excitement over the event is growing by the day. We're getting really close now and I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to seeing everyone. I just heard from the Birchwood Inn (http://www.birchwoodinn.com) folks saying that room reservations have done very well. They are very grateful to have us back are very much looking forward to our arrival. We will pretty much have the run of the place including the sun room, patio and basement meeting room. They have also purchased 2 free standing fire pits and wood for our use, so we'll also have a couple campfires to sit around. Don't forget the marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers!

Just a note to say that I am scheduling the "official" reception for Photostock on Friday night, the 24th. Due to the fact that people will still be arriving and the UP exploratory group will most likely be returning later in the evening, we'll start the party later and let it go on late. Let's say an official start time at 8PM and we'll go to the last person standing.

I have ordered a half barrel of Oberon for the festivities as well. The unofficial beer of Photostock that is brewed right here in Michigan. There will also be a variety of soft drinks as well as the usual munchies. I'd also like everyone to feel free to bring something to share for the party. If you have a specialty that you like to bring to parties as a pass around, it will be most appreciated. We'll have paper plates, napkins and plastic cups, so you don't have to worry about bringing any of these items.

We will also be fortunate to have Cynthia Motzenbecker presenting a new and updated version of her vintage photography collection that will include the "naughty" portion for adults only. Cindy has shared these in the past at photostock and the show has been one of the most requested, so we are very happy to have her back again.

I had also hoped to have others come with presentations that we can add to the schedule, but so far, no one has come forward. You are still more than welcome to do this and there will be a digital projector, screen and computer for anyone wishing to take a slot, so let me know if you are interested.

Last, but not least... Due to the event being free this year... In an effort to cover any costs, I will also be offering a small print for sale soon at a very reduced price and all proceeds will go toward the event. The offer will only be placed here as well as go out to the registered guests via email.

More to come soon!

Bill

Resister Here!

www.photostock2011.com

Andrew Moxom
06-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Me wants the precious.... OBERONNNNNNNNN

ishutteratthethought
06-10-2011, 12:14 PM
precious..precious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qgLv3IeOzc

Otis Clay knows how it tastes!!

Jerry Basierbe
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I think some Kid Rock "Bad Ass" beer might be called for also.

Jerry

Jeff Bannow
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Zima anyone? ;)

Andrew Moxom
06-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Blantons???