PDA

View Full Version : Crap Weather/Gray Days Shooting: Westend GTA APUG: Early 2011 Group Shoots?

Pages : [1] 2

CGW
01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
It's cabin fever weather. There are a few of us around. Anyone interested in shooting together in early 2011? Open to ideas/venues/subjects. I'm in. Anyone else? Think about it.

hpulley
01-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Nice day today but let me know when and where and I'll be there. I can suggest areas in Guelph, Elora, perhaps Campbelville or Burlington, maybe even Oakville but not quite to the GTA unless we go to High Park.

David William White
01-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm out shooting at least twice a week somewhere in the GTA, so if you set up something, I'd join in.

CGW
01-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Nice day today but let me know when and where and I'll be there. I can suggest areas in Guelph, Elora, perhaps Campbelville or Burlington, maybe even Oakville but not quite to the GTA unless we go to High Park.

Suppose my aim is a bit of community-building as much as anything. Have family in Guelph so know the environs fairly well. Lots of interest in the area to aim a camera at. At any rate, you're on the list, Senor Pulley.

CGW
01-05-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm out shooting at least twice a week somewhere in the GTA, so if you set up something, I'd join in.

What interests you, David? I've been looking a stranded old houses out on the subdivision frontiers of Mississauga/Brampton. Sad old things, I suppose, but poignant for surviving the tsunami of blandness about to engulf them.

Obscura26
01-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I need to shake this cabin fever too and I would definitely interested in something like this as well.

naeroscatu
01-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Hi there. I'm in too. I was chasing this subject in my neck of the woods (north of the GTA) but I won't mind driving to Guelph or any other west end location.
Just say the date and place and will do my best to fit it in my schedule. Cheers

CGW
01-06-2011, 06:37 PM
It's cabin fever weather. There are a few of us around. Anyone interested in shooting together in early 2011? Open to ideas/venues/subjects. I'm in. Anyone else? Think about it.

Anyone else lost in the snow?

Shelley-Ann
01-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Anyone else lost in the snow?

I am. I live in the Brampton area, so I would be up for checking out the abandoned old houses.

hpulley
01-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I am. I live in the Brampton area, so I would be up for checking out the abandoned old houses.

They might turn out to be housing snowbound travellers, you never know... :laugh:

jp498
01-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Grey days are great for shooting. Wish it were happening in my area.

hpulley
01-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Haha, beautiful blue skies here at the moment. Shot some color and B&W film already today.

CGW
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM

It's actually a good time to scout and shoot these. There's practically no demo activity and most building sites are slow/dormant now around Peel. I see quite a few up Mississauga Rd. and the E/W side roads N. of Hwy 7/Bovaird. There are also a few old graveyards with interesting headstones.

Axle
01-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I'd be more than interested in joining in any meet ups to shoot.

Mike Wilde
01-11-2011, 02:47 PM
If it is abandon houses in Brampton, look at Gorewood, opposite Finch, just north of Steeles. There are a couple of abandon houses just north of the 407. Some day Gorewood will be re-routed though these lots to link to the adjacent industrial subdivision road to the west. If venturing into the basements, take care that the ice is thick enough. There was a couple of feet of water in there this past summer. Take a wide angle lens to get great latex paint peeling from the ceilings. Watch out for power; there were still electric meters on the houses earlier this year.

For bridges:
Further up the same road there is a parking lot for the conservation area. A short walk past its gates there is an old bowstring concrete arch brdge over the Humber River that makes an interesting subject. These were the first type of concrete bridges built in Ontario about 100 years ago.

I am gradually documenting old bridges as I come across them. I have also found another bowstring one across Etobocke Creek at the end of Sherway Dr west of The West Mall in s/w Etobicoke.

There is another old abandon bridge on old 9th Line in Oakville south of Dundas Street. Take the North Service Road and turn onto the 9th line cul de sac, and walk northward on a trail from the south at its end.

Along Dundas Street at almost every watercourse crossing there are the remains of old bridge piers.

In Mississuaga, back to abandon houses there are a pair of old farm lot houses off of Ninth Line, immediately south of the gas compressor station south of Derry. Parking is limited on Ninth, and the driveway barricaded, so it will be a walk in up the laneway. There are remnants of the former renters/owners, but kids have kicked parts of the interiors pretty well apart. Take flash lights and on camera flash if taking images in the basement of the older structure. There were still preserve jars on the shelves, and washer, dryer, deep freezes, and a kids play room intact in the basement, with no flooding in May 2010.
It may be re-secured; the last time I was there the last boards on the first florr had been kicked off.

Ontario Abandon Places has a reasonable number of sited documented for additional ideas if that is your bent.

I'm busy with kids activities at present but am trying to finalize scheduling a model session in my home studio in February with a pair of young ladies from my wife's place of work who have some creative ideas. I hope this creatve photo project will get me though until the spring flowers are ready to peek though the snow.

I might even turn to advancing half finished home renovations if I get desperate enough!.

Good to still see you here Shelly-Ann. I have not seen much of you online here for a while.

CGW
01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the leads, Mike.

So, after snooping around http://www.ontarioabandonedplaces.com/, does anything look good to the westend crew?

Axle
01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
If you're looking for abandoned buildings, look no further...seasoned explorer right here who cut his teeth in photography inside abandonments.

If you're looking for a neat bridge the shoot, I suggest the Hogs Hollow Bridge (401 and Yonge) as it's the oldest freeway bridge in Ontario (First built as part of Hwy 11 in 1929).

Mike Wilde
01-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Old freeway bridges - In the same era is the set of bridges that carry the Queen Elizabeth Way across Etobicoke Creek. The abandon bowstring arch bridge I spoke of just earlier is a remnant of "The Middle Road" that the QEW supplanted. From the underneath the QEW spanning this creek here is a set of at least 5 separate bridges. For fascinating reading if you are a road geek, check out thekingshighway.ca

Obscura26
01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
There is a great little bridge on 27th Side Rd just east of 8th Line here in Halton Hills that is worth checking out. It is completely made of hand laid stone

David William White
01-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Milton/Halton Hills sounds terrific to me, but whatever you guys decide, I'll be there...