PDA

View Full Version : Alt. Print Exchange, April 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

adamc
07-14-2011, 01:30 PM
I received Paul's print in the mail, very securely packaged. I opened it up and found a beautiful gem of a print inside! I won't spoil the surprise for the others in my group and say exactly what the process is...I've seen this type of print in a gallery, but I've never held one in my hands - it's truly fantastic and inspirational. Thanks Paul!

paul_c5x4
07-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Had word that the print sent to tj01 arrived safely a day or so ago, so just waiting on Canadian Post to deliver to sly - I wasn't sure how well the print(s) would survive being thrown around the world, so glad two have arrived so quickly and without damage.

sly
07-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I finally got my prints into the mail this past week. I also recieved 2.

A mountainy watery landscape - Bukit Tabur. I'm not sure what the process is. A combi-type? Gum maybe? Would love to hear more about it TJ.

An orotone (without the gold) from Paul. Never seen this process before - it looks quite appealing. Thanks Paul - not that I really needed another process to add to my bucket list. I haven't got a good enough handle on the ones I've already taken on.

tj01
08-03-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm glad my humble prints arrived safely.

Paul, I think your plate was temperature damaged on the way to me. The plate is intact, but it looks like one of those 'Harry Potter disappear in a puff of smoke photos'. I'm quite sad it's damaged.
Would love to see how it should be, will email you privately what I received ( received 2 weeks ago I think ).

Thanks
TJ

paul_c5x4
08-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Paul, I think your plate was temperature damaged on the way to me. The plate is intact, but it looks like one of those 'Harry Potter disappear in a puff of smoke photos'. I'm quite sad it's damaged.
Would love to see how it should be, will email you privately what I received ( received 2 weeks ago I think ).

Sorry about that - The email got caught by the spam filter..

I see what looks like a solid white line down one side - It looks like the reflection from a fluorescent tube.. If it isn't, then it is damage. From memory, I had wrapped each plate in yellow tissue, placed in a ziplok bag, and then encased in polystyrene. Water damage would have caused the tissue to stick to the plate, and high temperature would (most likely) caused the polystyrene to melt. If you could post another image in this thread, perhaps one of the resident experts could comment - You might want to try using a polarising filter to cut down on reflections.

A slightly cropped print on Ilford Art 300: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/files/3/3/0/0/8/jarjarbinks_001.jpg

UKJohn
08-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Hi,

Sorry for being so far behind, I've had a bit of a disastrous journey with this exchange but my prints are all parceled up and will be in the post this weekend. Thank you for the three wonderful prints received they are just superb and I feel a little ashamed that my offering isn't quite up to par.

Thanks for all your patience.

John

rst
08-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Hi John,

I received your two beautiful prints today. I like them both. Actually I like the one with the pasta plates a bit - which is good because I already lost the battle about the triptychon. My daughter got her hands on it and she likes it very much. So you made more than one person happy in our house.

Thanks and Cheers
Ruediger

UKJohn
08-23-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks Ruediger for the kind words I'm pleased you like them both. The triptych was a struggle and I still need to refine the process whilst as I am sure you can see there is some staining in the masked area around the pasta plates print. This occurred or appeared after drying, I've undertaken a little research into this and found a thread where Sandy King suggests a 1% sodium sulphite bath so I'll be trying this on future prints to see if this addresses the problem. Once again thanks for comments and sorry they took so long to arrive.

John

paul_c5x4
09-19-2011, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=sly;1215677]I finally got my prints into the mail this past week.[QUOTE]

The print finally arrived a couple of days ago - Looks like Canadian Post is still trying to get through the backlog from their strike/lockout....

I love the detail and tonal range of the print - I need to find time to sit down and take a long look at it (looks like I'll be doing 60hr weeks in the run up to xmas).

tj01
10-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Sly,
Your prints arrived yesterday, from the watermark 2 and half months after. It's going to be framed up and hung in a very nice place in the house. I love it.
TJ

sly
10-08-2011, 08:05 PM
It turns out I might as well have hand delivered Paul's. Saw him in Norfolk in September. Glad at least 2 of them have finally arrived at their destinations. I think I'll stay away from any more exchanges, at least this year.