PDA

View Full Version : Buying Foma paper in Prague

L.J.SILVER
01-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Hi, I have a friend who will be in Prague and I was hoping that he will be able to buy a supply of Foma papers (mostly 532-II, some 542-II and Variant 123) for me. Any suggestions as to the main retailers of Foma in Prague would be very much appreciated. Of course I'm hoping that it'll be cheaper than buying it from Freestyle or Silverprint. Am I correct to assume this? The papers will have to be sent by airmail to me in Australia. Thanks for your help. Cheers!

werra
01-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Well, apparently they are not cheaper, at least were not a year ago or so. http://fotoskoda.cz/ is big retalier, carries everything from secondhand gear to top digital, including papers/films/chemistry. http://www.fotomaterial.cz/ is small boutique specialized on analog consumables only.

gandolfi
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
try the Fomastore (very small, but with a very friendly service!)

Jungmannova 28
Pasaz TETA
110 00 Prague 1,
Czech Republic

werra
01-26-2011, 02:00 PM

fotomaterial.cz is the same place. Small and friendly indeed.

L.J.SILVER
01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for information. Reading some past threads on buying Foma paper in Prague it would seem that you're right Werra - that it is not less expensive as buying from the US or UK. I'm surprised at this but then I don't pretend to understand global trade. It's probably all sewn up with deals and counterdeals. My friend will check the prices. It'll be interesting to know. Thanks again!

RalphLambrecht
01-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Jungmannova 28
Pasaz TETA
110 00 Prague 1,
Czech Republic

Gandolfi

Is that the small store across from the small plaza with the fountain? Sorry, but I forgot the name of the plaza.

Also, walking distance from it, there is a great camera store who also carry it and have great bargains on used equipment. I think it's called fotoSkoda.

RobertV
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
The small Foma store was closed last year but FotoSkoda is a good and reliable address. However the export prices of Foma films and photo paper are cheaper in Germany and in the Netherlands.

FotoSkoda:
Vodičkova 37, Praha 1

And greetings to Mr. Milan Skoda .... :)

gandolfi
01-26-2011, 05:20 PM
The small Foma store was closed last year but FotoSkoda is a good and reliable address. However the export prices of Foma films and photo paper are cheaper in Germany and in the Netherlands.

FotoSkoda:
Vodičkova 37, Praha 1

And greetings to Mr. Milan Skoda .... :)

when last year?

I was there in august and no hints on closing...

the "original" place of the fomastore closed some years ago, and moved to Jungmanova.

And yes: you can get to it via the mentioned "garden" with the modern looking women (statues)....

Another great store is located in the same street as Fotoskoda.. called foto optika I think.
Mostly old cameras there though...
Impressive collection on old stuff in the front window!!

werra
01-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Impressive collection on old stuff in the front window!!

Speak of the devil (sorry about the crappy phone snap):

RobertV
01-27-2011, 04:49 AM
Speak of the devil

Yes a very fancy store .....

when last year?

I was there in august and no hints on closing...

Closed indeed with a new address which was not open at that time. Good to hear that they continued later this year.

Ian Grant
01-27-2011, 05:00 AM

My kind of store, will need to try and pay a visit :D

Ian

gandolfi
01-27-2011, 05:05 AM

Ian

mine too - but be aware that the stuff in the window is the owners private collection, and it is not for sale....

More stuff inside though..

werra
01-27-2011, 05:08 AM

Yeah, it's just insane, what they do have there. And under same passageway, a couple of doors further, there is another second-hand shop. I do not know, are these two shops related or not. The another one had more recent gear presented.
Just like museum, Technoramas, Fuji 617, all kind of LF gear etc. A bit depressive sight :)

Ian Grant
01-27-2011, 05:11 AM
mine too - but be aware that the stuff in the window is the owners private collection, and it is not for sale....

More stuff inside though..

Thanks. That's the case in a couple of UK stores I use :D

Ian

gandolfi
01-27-2011, 05:52 AM
Yeah, it's just insane, what they do have there. And under same passageway, a couple of doors further, there is another second-hand shop. I do not know, are these two shops related or not. The another one had more recent gear presented.
Just like museum, Technoramas, Fuji 617, all kind of LF gear etc. A bit depressive sight :)

same store- same owner.

it is the "pro" department... If it is closed, then go to the big store and ask...

gandolfi
01-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Thanks. That's the case in a couple of UK stores I use :D

Ian

yes - kind of frustrating to see big Voigtlander lenses and other fantastic stuff..

In Skodafoto there's also a (smaller) private display of stuff..

I saw a Perscheid, and I am sure I could hear it call out for me.. "help me out.. help me out..."

Ian Grant
01-27-2011, 06:55 AM
I saw a Perscheid, and I am sure I could hear it call out for me.. "help me out.. help me out..."

There's an issue with buying vintage equipment on the European Continental film formats differ, there's lenses like Perscheid's taht I've never heard of :D

Ian

Mainecoonmaniac
01-27-2011, 10:43 AM

For some, maybe a juice bar, but I wouldn't walk through that door with my credit card. Ebay is bad enough for me.:laugh: