PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 22 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16

Rob Skeoch
04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
I have three to report.
Rocks and Grass by Seadrive, I love this shot. great life to the grassy area, great texture and tones.
True Love from Matt King, such great texture in this one.
Ice Bird by Laurent, this is such a nice shot.

-Rob

ozphoto
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
My only card for the past week is Laurent's Icebird. I agree - keeping your eyes open for those fleeting scenes often result in some wonderful images.

markrewald
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Post cards in the mail this morning. Hope you enjoy them.

anikin
04-12-2011, 10:30 AM
A beautiful coastal photo by crispin made it to my mailbox. The question is, if this was taken on Velvia,
is this a reversal print?

Mike Wilde
04-12-2011, 11:58 AM
CrispinUK – Cornwall First Light. A delicious mist rendered in hues of vibrant blues and magentas. The s shape that you eye follows as it chases the low lying mist around the rocks is very well executed in this image.
DRPSilver – Moonlight Bolinas Lago – a superb use of thirds in the composition of this image. The incorporation of the city buildings at the edge gives the image a good point of reference as to its scale. Another great use of the s shape to pull your eye to the highlights as they flow from the foreground to the horizon.
Fleath- Hard Rubbish. Alex, you have brought back memories of my 4 years spent working in Australia with this image. The iconic concrete utility pole with angle steel corners does this the most. A very suitable use of matte finished paper and the toning.
Jacco – Sycamore gap. A very nice iconic image. Very good texture is held in all surfaces of interest from highlights to all but the darkest shadows, that keeps your eye drawn in exploring the image in more detail after the first impression. Nicely executed.
Laurent – Ice Bird. A delicious moment caught by serendipity. Greta use if the glow of the sky at the top of the image, and the shallow dof, although whether by design or chance, the end result is most enticing.
Matt King – True Love A good tonal gradation resulted from the way that the natural light fell across the image. Tack sharp. I like how the tail of the arrow draws you into the details in the shadows.
Rob Skeotch – Lens Test. Nice subject, lens, and film all lead to the vibrant grian free rendering of this vibrant scene. The stark almost white hair of the model, the black jacket she wears, and the slightly out of focus background spectra of graffiti os great. Of course at f/1.1 the background had better be slightly out of focus shouldn’t it?
Seadrive – Grass among rocks. Texture, texture, texture and a delicate cast of mid tone hues in this image. A great example of what a short tonal scale image can achieve.

Roger Thoms
04-13-2011, 03:07 AM
My cards are in the mail, enjoy.

Roger

BoxBrownie
04-13-2011, 10:31 AM
3 more arrived:
Torn Sign - Laurent: good abstract interesting low tones. very good actually
Metropolitan Pipe- Morpheus: urban landscape & snow, my favourites together
Untitled - Rob Skeoch: Colour, impressive print, good selective focus @F.1.1. I wouldn't be brave enough to shoot that wide open for fear of misfocussing. No trouble here though.

BoxBrownie
04-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Another one: from Tim Gray
Max the dog. Very nice tonality. Frame edge works really well on this one. Plus it's the 1st one to get through the post without a scratch!

hpulley
04-18-2011, 09:44 PM
I got two in the mail today! 7 more to go!

Tim Gray's cute dog in a blankie!! My kids love this one and I do too.

And Mark Rewald's Round Barn. Great shot, I love barns and this one is unique, I have never seen a round barn before. Great contrast in the white sides and dark roof and the sky is great too. Nice to see how 5x7" Ilford MGIV Glossy makes it through the mail too.

piu58
04-19-2011, 01:05 AM
After a long time of an empty letter box I got yetsterday Tim Gray's photo of his dog. Very nice photo indeed!

I forgot to mention that I received Laurent's Torn sign card. At the first glance I found it contrast-less, but as longer I looked at it the more I saw the fine shadings of gray.

12/20 until now, not bad.

Laurent
04-19-2011, 08:57 AM
This week I received 4 cards :

Tim Gray's dog. I'm usually not very keen of "pets" pictures, but this one is REALLY good ! Both the rich tones and Max's expression make the picture live !

Azzy's "A knife and its shadow". Very nice details and tones.

Zurrianne's (hope I read the name correctly) Very rich tones again.

Roger Thoms' Windmill. Great landscape shot, nicely printed (the margin adds a lot to the image IMHO).

Thanks !

lorirfrommontana
04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Got mine out yesterday. Sorry so late again! I think I'll print next rounds up this weekend when I'm busy getting my blind print exchange print done.
-Lori

hpulley
04-19-2011, 07:58 PM
I too got Roger Thoms' Windmill, thanks! Love the cloud shadows on the hills. 6 more to go!

sly
04-19-2011, 09:41 PM
The cards have been trickling in slowly these last few weeks. Then today there were FIVE in the mailbox. I think the posties have been admiring them and finally, grudgingly delivered them. Seems like a good time to thank folks for their cards. Today's cards were:
Mark Rewald's Round Barn - a unique structure and a lovely sky. I never seem to get skies that look like that - even with a red filter.
Roger Thom's Wind Mill - another lovely sky, and this wind mill looks both old and functional. I'll have to see some California landscape for myself someday.
Marrianne's Old Orchard Tree - A great looking tree - hasn't been pruned for awhile. Looks like a good spot for burning up lots of film!
Gordrob's Ice Diver - Brrr! I wonder what pictures he managed to get under the ice? I'm assuming you stayed dry, if not warm?
Tim Gray's Max - very emotive. Reminds me of how I feel when I've got a bad cold.
And all the other cards that have arrived since the initial flurry, in no particular order:
Laurent's Ice Bird - a subtle photo, would have been easy to miss this.
Jacco de Kraker's Sycamore Gap - very moody, nicely printed.
Kevin Kehler's Frozen Leaves - I like curve my eye is taken through.
George Richard's Cobequid Bay - lovely flow lines, lots to keep me looking
Ignatiu5's Spires - hard to believe it's Florida - impressed by the little moon above the cresent on the spire.
Darwin's Moonlight, Bolinas Lagoon - looks like a perfect spot for a long walk.
Box Brownie's Southwick Hill Trig Point - how'd you get the beam of light to co-operate?
5stringdeath's Summer - Makes me long for those long, hot days.
Harry Pulley's Night Clings - Crepuscular!
Anikin's Tinkle Bell - the blue toning is perfect! Gotta get me some.
Craig Cross's Away For the Winter - Did they fly south?

piu58
04-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Yesterday I got Mark Rewald's Round barn. At a first glance I thought I were an infrared photo. Very interesting sky an a nice building too.

Oxleyroad
04-20-2011, 05:30 PM
It has been nearly a month since my last update with another five cards in. 20 out of 30.

seadrive - Rocks and Grass. So sharp and clear, textures leap from the picture. I'd love this covering a whole wall.

crispin - Cornwall, first light. Second colour picture in this exchange. Wow, you have done a great job capturing the moment here.

MattKing - True love. The toning gives the image such depth, and most people who have visited my place have sworn the picture is a colour one.

Tim Gray - Max. Beautiful, brings out the emotion in people looking at him.

Mark Rewald - Delany round barn. What a great structure. I have never seen anything like it. This card was just like getting a commercial post card from some exotic place with an image of some landmark you only read about.

Thanks everyone for such brilliant pictures which provide enjoyment to so many people that come through my family home.

ozphoto
04-21-2011, 12:27 AM
2 cards for me this week:

Tim Gray's : "Max" - very cute!
Roger Thom's : "Windmill" - lovely tonal range and I rather like the paper. (Might try some out for myself!)

10/20 for this round - looking forward to receiving more.

johnnywalker
04-21-2011, 01:18 AM
In the last couple of weeks I've received: Darwin's "Moonlight, Bolinas Lagoon", a very nice seascape; Laurent's "Torn Sign", an interesting abstract; Rob Skeoch's colour picture of a very modern young lady in front of a graffiti wall; Mark Rewald's picture of the Round Barn - beautiful sky, interesting building; Tim Gray's little dog peeking out from under the blanket - nice catch; and Roger Thoms' windmill in California - I guess to pump water, sure is a dry looking landscape.

Laurent
04-21-2011, 02:54 AM
Yesterday I received Mark Rewald's Delany Round Barn. Great structure and great image ! One of this round's favourites (along with Roger Thoms' Windmill)

Thanks !

Roger Thoms
04-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Two card today, one from Lorifrommontana, nice old tree in a snow storm. Glad to hear that you are settling into your new home and that you have your darkroom up and running.

The other one from Raimundo is an interesting panoramic shot done with a five pinhole camera. Wow!!

Roger