PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 22 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16

hpulley
05-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Temps in the low 40's? And your emulsion didn't melt? :laugh:

Mick Fagan
05-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Over the years I have found that emulsions, both colour and B&W, are incredibly resilient to wild temperature fluctuations.

I listened to my late father in-law who was a photographer in WWII in the German army, explain how he at one stage, was operating in -40ºC. The method used was to walk along a trench, stick a TLR upside down overhead and take a shot. Then they walked back to the tent and swapped cameras.

The camera back in the tent was placed near a kerosene lamp to warm up, when it was considered to be around -10ºC the film was very slowly wound on.

The other extreme was with the same cameras and film in Africa, only the temperatures were about 80ºC + different from the Russian front.

I have seen about 3,000 of his photographs from those places and times, film is incredibly resilient.

The day before I took the Silo picture we traveled through 49ºC ambient temperatures at Lake Mungo (google it, it's a world heritage site). I forgot that my film wasn't in the refrigerator that day, at the end of the day. It was just too hot to shoot and the wind was blowing like a blast furnace.

The next day I used a sheet of that film which was stuck inside the camper in a cupboard with an ambient temperature of 49ºC outside, but inferno like inside. The film performed flawlessly as I expected it would.

For those who didn't receive a copy of my silos, the film was 5x4" FP4+.

Mick.

hpulley
05-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info, Mick! You might want to upload a scan so the rest can enjoy it too.

The card doesn't say: 5x4" printed onto 6x4", is it just a slight enlargement or a fair crop of the whole scene?

Mick Fagan
05-09-2011, 09:22 AM
You are correct, it doesn't say that, but it does say FP4+ 4x5, meaning it's a landscape format using a 5x4" negative. Sorry for the brief description on the label.

The paper, unless I'm wrong, is 100mm by 150mm, not 6x4".

The image is a slight enlargement, as envisaged whilst looking at the ground glass. I find I leave a short bit at all the edges, perhaps 5mm of image that I know I will not print.

Sometimes I leave myself a bit more negative space that I do not intend to print, this is not always my choice, but working with a camera one cannot always get into the best position.

Another aspect in this particular shot, is that the camera viewpoint of the wheat silos were from a low position, this coupled with the wheat silos height, made me use 38mm of front rise. To do this I had to change from a 150 lens to the 215 lens, move slightly further back and use nearly maximum rise.

The 150 lens couldn't give me enough rise, so I switched to the 215mm Ilex which has enormous coverage and gave me the perspective and framing I was after.

I used a Shen Hao 4x5" wooden field camera, exposure was 1/10 at f22.

Due to using the maximum rise that the camera is capable of, there was a very slight bit of a vignetting from the bellows on two corners of the negative. This was understandable and known, when I took the exposure.

The print is a straight print.

I hand wrote and addressed all of the postcards whilst sitting in the middle of nowhere in our camper over Easter, this took a couple of hours and a bit, extremely peaceful to say the least. After doing this, which was immediately after lunch, I then walked down the track a bit and took a sheet of our camper and ute, I developed the negatives last night and may use the shot of our camper and ute for the next round.

This should give you a very different perspective of what Australian grass looks like after the heaviest rain fall year since 1974 and 1956. Normally at this time of the year the grass is either burnt or withered to almost nothing, however at Mt Terrick Terrick state park, the grasslands area was amazing, so were the birds and spiders, to say nothing about the mosquitoes, frogs, snakes and lizards, and kangaroos. I think I saw a fat-tailed-Dunnart, which makes sense as we have had a locust plague through here, they thrive on locusts.

Mick.

kraker
05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Mick, I too have received your "wheat silo" card. A great print as always, thanks.

To all:

All my cards (25) were sent some time ago and should have reached their destinations by now. I have a few spare cards this time 'round, so if I was on your list but you haven't received my card, let me know and I'll send another copy.

Roger Thoms
05-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Mick nice job one the Wheat Silo, great image, really like the sky, perfect backdrop for the silos.

Roger

Aron
05-10-2011, 04:55 AM
Dear all participants, I'm deeply sorry it took me such a long time to give feedback. I had a few difficulties during the period of this round, including the old "I can't decide which one of my negatives to print". Most of my new work was experimental and although I believe I learned a lot, because of the nature of these photos, they didn't really turn out well and I was also rather confused about the way I wanted to print them. Luckily a friend of mine helped me in choosing an image to send so I'll hopefully be able to get to printing them next weekend. This time it's going to be printed on RC paper to get the work done in a short time, not to get even less polite. In the meanwhile, here are the cards I've received:

Mick Fagan: A nice photo, with lovely tones. It makes a nice duo with the card you sent for Round 19.

Lori: Congrats on your new home darkroom! Interesting selective focus effect.

Rai: Quite an unusual print for me who's used to more regular strips of negatives. I like how the different images blend together, this works really well here.

Gordrob: A chilly sport indeed, but he seems to do all right.

BlackDog: I like how this photo illustrates the free nature of the moment.

Anikin: A good detail of nature and I really liked the tone of the print.

Vyshemirsky: Another nice detail of nature. Good tonality.

Oxleyroad: I like how this composition balances smaller, playful details and larger elements.

Dave Martiny: A truly appealing tonality which harmonises well with the smooth nature of the plant. Good work.

Meltronic: Your photo was an instant favourite. I like how the dear brings motion in the otherwise static scene. Also the somewhat retro edge pattern was great, it's been a long time since I saw some one cutting them on paper.

George Nova Scotia: I like this composition with the crossing lines in the foreground. I value the luminousity which is not so easy to achieve in a print, great.

Mark Rewald: The portrait format worked well here dividing the foliage, the barn and the sky well.

hpully: I still remember my excitement when I took the first look at this print, nice composition and that great micro contrast is eye-catching.

Azzy: A simple but good photo with good tones.

Seadrive: I keep this one next to my computer on my desktop, it's truly eye-catching. This print just has a suberb quality. A lovely print, thanks!

Marianne: I can imagine how bugs love the numerous little branches of the tree. A great use for the vintage Kodak.

Fleath: This is one of my favourites. Good framing and it looks great on matt paper with selenium. Thank you, Alex.

Rob Skeoch: The first photo I have in my hands taken with this exciting lens. She's a great subject in front of the colourful background.

Mattking: A good capture, I'm happy you spotted it (them).*

Lillian Sky: This photo is relaxing with its smoothness and subject, despite the fact it must have been rather cold out there.

Bex: A great image with a definite atmosphere. Old Tri-X seems to be doing fine, it just reached it's golden age.

Crispin: A nice coastal image, it is rather surprising to look at this Velvia image when I browse through this round's mostly monochrome cards.

Tim Gray: I like how the lines of the sofa and blanket frame Max's head, a good environmental portrait, I like it.

Uwe Pilz: I know the elephant house in the Budapest zoo, I visit it a few times each year. Your embossed signature is always a nice touch, thanks you.

Christan: An excellent capture of the moment. I see your Hungarian is fairly good, appreciated.

Laurent: A great capture, this tiny piece of ice to me resembles a delicate bird.

Kraker: It's not so easy to make the composition interesting with such a superwide, but I definitely think you succeeded. Thanks.

Drpsilver: I like the atmosphere also of this photo. Your card arrived in a slightly weathered condition, with a piece of its surface missing in the centre, but this only adds to the image rather than taking away from it.

Ozphoto: A classic photo which makes me smile every time I look at it.

JohnnyWalker: I like how this photo represents the harmony of nature and man (and family).

Moopheus: Lovely little detail, nice shot.

Greg Coan: Also this photo captures the spirit of summer well.

Craig Cross: A nice, calm landscape. Black borders can sometimes be edgy, but I like them.

Kevin Kehler: I personally don't think this photograph is soft, instead I see a lovely tonal range with delicate highs and mids.

Rüdiger: A very nice composition, I like the ballance of straight lines and curves.

Rtbadman: I like how this image combines softer and stronger qualities.

Mike Wilde: For some reason your envelope arrived to me open (which was put in another envelope by our postal service). I like the fact you sent us three different cards, all on old paper.

Once again, thanks everyone and my apologies for the massive delay. I hope I'm not going to test your patience much further.

Laurent
05-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Todays card is Wayne Frederick's view of a wooden frame house. The geometry of the house is quite interesting !

Thanks !

BirgerA
05-18-2011, 05:25 AM
I sent my cards today.

piu58
05-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Yesterday I got the most interesting card of this round - Birger's Zebra. I hope you enjoy the image as much as me.

rai
05-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I also have received yesterday Birger's Zebra, this works for me!

MattKing
05-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I’ve previously commented on the cards I received from 16 people. Since then, I’ve received cards from 8 more APUGers:

gordrob - “Ice Diver” - this photo really made me shiver (that is a good thing!)
lorirfrommontana - “Spring Snow” - thanks Lori for sharing your interesting back yard
markrewald - “Delany Round Barn” - a very nice print - that round barn is set off nicely by a dramatic sky
Mick Fagan - “Wheat Silo Merinee Victoria” - it looks so hot! - a really nice, full range print
rai - “Carre Sainte Anne, Montpellier” - a really inventive and intriguing multi-image card
rtbadman - “Panoche Valley, California” - I really like the sharpness and image tone
seadrive - “Rocks and Grass, Dam Pond” - so sharp, it almost bites
Tim Gray - “Max” - Great portrait (it is the eyes, you know :))

24 down, 4 (Aron, BirgerA, Black Dog and HowardDvorin) to go :)

Thanks to everyone for participating.

kraker
05-23-2011, 03:54 AM
Received Birger's Zebra. Very nice print. Easy to guess the subject, even though the viewer only sees a detail. I like it, thanks.

ozphoto
05-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Birger's Zebra arrived yesterday - a lovely print that brightened my mailbox a lot.

Laurent
05-24-2011, 03:02 AM
I received Birger's zebra last Saturday. Great image !

Roger Thoms
05-24-2011, 03:49 AM
My Zebra has arrived too, very nice!

Roger

hpulley
05-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I also received BirgerA's Zebra, thanks!

George Nova Scotia
05-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Brigar's Zebra has also made it to the east coast of Canada, along with Wayne's Housing and Mick Fagan's Wheat Silo since my last update. Thanks all. Still looking for a few more before round 23.

Roger Thoms
05-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Just wanted to let anyone who did not receive a card from me that I would be more than happy to resend. Just PM me with your current address.

Roger

ozphoto
05-29-2011, 02:14 AM
A quick update on cards received this round:

Anakin
Birger A
drpsilver
George Nova Scotia
Gurkenprinz
Kevin Kehler
Laurent
Lorifrommontana
markrewald
Mick Fagan
Moopheus
Rob Skeoch
rst
rtbadman
sly
Tim Gray

Still outstanding: Aaron, Black Dog, Fleath, and Howard Dvorin.

Another great round - looking forward to #23!!:D