PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 22 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

gurkenprinz
02-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Received the first card of this round from Uwe (piu58) and couldn't be fooled as I read Rüdigers comment before I came home. Nice composition, and well printed! Just wondering, Uwe: Did you also get a good shot of the inhabitants of this "church"?

Also, my cards are going into the mail today!

Greetings from Vienna, Chris

Laurent
02-09-2011, 02:46 AM
There are presets for almost all the Avery labels as well. Very easy to use.

Works also with OpenOffice, and it's not from the Evil Microsoft...

ozphoto
02-09-2011, 03:07 AM
I always seem to have problems with the labels never feeding right, so now I simply buy A4 labels, print out the addresses and cut them with my paper trimmer. Has eliminated me tearing out my hair and wasting ink and labels re-printing all the ones that didn't print correctly the first (and the 2nd and the 3rd. . . . ) time. :D

rst
02-09-2011, 03:38 AM
I always seem to have problems with the labels never feeding right, so now I simply buy A4 labels, print out the addresses and cut them with my paper trimmer. ...That is exactly the solution I found for the exact same problem. :)

Cheers
Ruediger

rst
02-09-2011, 03:41 AM
BTW, while we talk about the labels here, I put a list of the labels in print form into the PM as well as a line representation which might we good to import into some office programs as address data. Is anyone using this representation at all? And if so, are there any problems using it or would it be better in another format?

Cheers
Ruediger

sly
02-09-2011, 05:40 AM
Oh, now I get it. Just because I didn't participate in 21, I'm getting fobbed off with a card everyone else has seen;):D

piu58
02-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Just wondering, Uwe: Did you also get a good shot of the inhabitants of this "church"?

Dear Chris, the elephants were outside. There I could take them. The inside of the house was empty.

Dave Martiny
02-09-2011, 07:38 AM
Printing address labels? That must be nice. I can't get my computer to even print the address list on ordinary paper, much less labels. I had no problem doing this in the previous round, but the "upgrades" to APUG occured since then, and now I can't print the list. I assume it's because I use the much maligned MS Internet Explorer browser, for which the APUG upgrades were not optimized. Looks like I'll be copying my addresses by hand from off the computer screen onto the cards.

Is anyone else using the same browser and having the same problem? Misery loves company!

Regards,

Dave

ozphoto
02-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi Ruediger. I use the list and make into a .csv file. From there I can import into Neo-Office (previously Word) and then print my labels on that wonderful full A4 sheet. Works a treat!

rst
02-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Dear Chris, the elephants were outside. Ah Uwe, now you lifted the secret. :(

Cheers
Ruediger

Roger Thoms
02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm using 8.5x11 labels and using the copy/paste function to "import" the addresses from the PM into a Word doc. I then use the column function to create 3 columns and the play around with the font size and spacing between the label to fit then nicely onto the pages. Then slice them up on the Rotatrim and I'm ready to go. I have found that the Avery shipping label are easier to peel the backing off. I bought Staple's brand and they were a nightmare.

Roger

MattKing
02-09-2011, 12:56 PM
I use WordPerfect and the mail merge function.

I import the semi-colon delimited address data into WordPerfect and then use search and replace to replace the semi-colons and line breaks with the appropriate merge codes. I then add a salutation field. This gives me a data file.

Next, I prepare a template formatted for the labels that includes merge codes for the salutation, my descriptive information and the merge codes for the names and addresses. The first time I did this, it required a lot of tweaking to get the labels and printer to work well together. Since then I just re-use previous templates by updating the description - works like a charm!

Finally, I merge the template with the data file, tweak it to deal with spacing issues that arise because of those amazingly long addresses from places like the UK, and then print away.

The first time I did this it took a lot of time and fiddling. Now it goes really quickly.

Here from postcard exchange 20 are some pdf representations of the files - a label template and a portion of the data template (showing addresses that are already "public").

I put these on to Avery 5160 laser labels.

Tim Gray
02-09-2011, 02:50 PM
I use latex and the labels package. But I'm a weirdo.

paul_c5x4
02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I use LaTeX and the labels package. But I'm a weirdo.

Hey, I use LaTeX too, but that doesn't make me a weirdo. apt-got gLabels and discovered how easy it was to churn out bits of sticky paper - If only the printing on the other side was as easy :p

Having the address data (almost) ready to import as a csv file is a big help (thanks rst, much appreciated).

Moopheus
02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm outputting the addresses with an analog device.

anikin
02-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I use latex and the labels package. But I'm a weirdo.

Well, I use a perl script that generates postscript. What am I then?

Tim Gray
02-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Haha. We don't have names for people like you.

I'd love to see that script.

anikin
02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Sure, you can see it at http://www.anikin.com/documents/print_apug_postcard. It's from the last exchange...

Tim Gray
02-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Very cool. I've never generated postscript directly.

rst
02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Very cool. I've never generated postscript directly.Well interesting what you guys do with the address data. The last time I produced postscript was for my thesis where I wrote a program to draw algebraic curves. Whatever this is, one option was to generate a postscript file to output the drawing of the curve on a postscript printer. Another option was to generate metafont output so that I could easily place the curve drawings in my thesis which I wrote in LaTeX. :)

Cheers
Ruediger