PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 22 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

anikin
02-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah, postscript is a powerful language. But I'm worried we are about to banned by the analog police. ;-)

Tim Gray
02-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Haha. I use Latex a lot for work. What's sad is that I've found it's really easier to print labels with it than any gui program I've tried. I just take the address list that Ruediger sends, strip out the 'APUG name:' lines, and I'm done. The latex file itself is about 19 lines and I can reuse it each round; I just have to replace the address list file's contents.

I was using pearLabelizer for a while, but you had to drag in each address by hand (ugh). I never really looked at doing a mail merge kind of thing with Excel, etc. Heck, I don't even have Office on my computer.

5stringdeath
02-10-2011, 06:55 AM
I give the list to my secretary who then makes labels on a typewriter while I drink Scotch and smoke a bunch of cigarettes. The Creative Department is making the postcards, and the mailroom will assemble them for distribution.

</Don Draper>

anikin
02-10-2011, 10:45 AM
The latex file itself is about 19 lines and I can reuse it each round; I just have to replace the address list file's contents.

All right. Now I'm curious. Can you post your latex? I've done a few documents in Latex but I don't use it often enough to write some on the fly.

P.S. For the police - we only use analog computers here. :whistling:

Tim Gray
02-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Yes, my Macbook has tubes in it. I sent you PM with it.

sly
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I stay away from latex - too many of my clients are allergic. It's Nitrile for me......;)

paul_c5x4
02-10-2011, 11:56 AM
All right. Now I'm curious. Can you post your latex? I've done a few documents in Latex but I don't use it often enough to write some on the fly.

I'd also be interested to see this LaTeX code. Now that my cards are in the post, I don't need it straight away..

Tim Gray
02-10-2011, 12:05 PM
Documentation for the labels package is here:
http://ftp.math.purdue.edu/mirrors/ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/labels/labels.pdf

Source is here:
------8<-------

\documentclass[10pt]{article}
\usepackage[newdimens]{labels}

%\LabelGridtrue % uncomment to show label boundaries

\LabelCols=3% Number of columns of labels per page
\LabelRows=10% Number of rows of labels per page
\LeftPageMargin=.1875in%7mm% These four parameters give the
\RightPageMargin=0.15625in%7mm% page gutter sizes. The outer edges of
\TopPageMargin=.5in%15mm% the outer labels are the specified
\BottomPageMargin=.5in%15mm% distances from the edge of the paper.
\InterLabelColumn=.125in%2mm% Gap between columns of labels
\InterLabelRow=0mm% Gap between rows of labels
\LeftLabelBorder=.125in%$5mm% These four parameters give the extra
\RightLabelBorder=.125in%5mm% space used around the text on each
\TopLabelBorder=.125in%5mm% actual label.
\BottomLabelBorder=.125in%5mm%

\begin{document}
\small \sf
\labelfile{addressdat.txt}
\end{document}

------8<-------

The address file is just a plain text file with address separated by blank lines.

person 1
address 1
address 1

person 2
address2
address2

etc.

Black Dog
02-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, postscript is a powerful language. But I'm worried we are about to banned by the analog police. ;-)

They are everywhere, and they are nowhere [in Lawrence Fishburn voice]:whistling::p

Laurent
02-11-2011, 07:16 AM
This week I received Uwe Elephant House. These elephants are very lucky, to live in such a nice house. The perspective is great, as is the printing.

vyshemirsky
02-11-2011, 07:46 AM
My postcards are all posted now. No digits were hurt while producing them.
Looking forward to see yours! :)

ozphoto
02-11-2011, 07:52 AM
My are printed and await me addressing them and then making a run to the post office! This round I'm going to put each card up at my local coffee shop for the customers to see; think they'll enjoy the impromptu art gallery. :cool:

Black Dog
02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
This week I received Uwe Elephant House. These elephants are very lucky, to live in such a nice house. The perspective is great, as is the printing.

+1!

Roger Thoms
02-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I too received the Elephant house, at first I thought it was church interior till I read the back. Quite a nice print.

I also received Mikes 3 for 1 special. Yes no problem sending them in an envelope as I totally enjoy getting the 3 prints. I also like the old papers that he uses and the images are great too. Thanks.

Roger

rst
02-12-2011, 07:26 AM
Today I found Vlads (vyshemirsky) Opium in my mailbox. Hey, I like it. Thanks.

Cheers
Ruediger

PS: Oh and you used a nice label :whistling:

vyshemirsky
02-12-2011, 07:42 AM
And now I want to see the "Elephant Church" :)
I have an extra postcard here on my desk, Uwe, would you be interested to exchange 1 extra print?

sly
02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I too have recieved the elephant palace. Lovely work. Thanks Uwe.

HowardDvorin
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes , the elephant house has found its way to south NewJersey,USA

paul_c5x4
02-12-2011, 02:02 PM
And now I want to see the "Elephant Church" :)

Better still, scan and post it in the gallery (unless you want to send one to everyone :D

Laurent
02-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Yesterday I got :

vyshermirsky's Opium. Very nice cose up, thanks Vlad !!

Mike Wilde's 3 small prints on "antique" paper. I especially love the #1, "Post Industrial Abandon", and the greyish paper base serves it well ! I guess I'll have to experiment again with the Ilfobrom I was given some time ago.