PDA

View Full Version : Postcard Exchange Round 22 - Comments and Feedback

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Oxleyroad
02-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Today saw the delivery of gurkenprinz "Early morning India". Like Laurent love the effect of the slow shutter and obviously the floor was used to steady. The second picture to arrive, and the first in this round to have grabbed the attention of all who drop in to Oxley Rd.

ozphoto
02-17-2011, 08:38 AM
And the first card to arrive in Bangkok is. . . . . . .Gurkenprinz' "Early Morning India! I love the movement in this shot - it truly captures how I envision India to be: A swirl of activity from early morning until well into the night.

First print to go up on my local coffee shop pinboard!

Laurent
02-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Today I received Oxleyraod's Footprint, Sand and Pebbles. A really great shot of what could be a mundane subject... All is in the textures, and you rendred them very well. I'm glad you toned this, as I've been told that toning did not work that fine on RC paper, but yours looks great.

Thanks !

Oxleyroad
02-18-2011, 05:29 AM
Today I received Oxleyraod's Footprint, Sand and Pebbles. A really great shot of what could be a mundane subject... All is in the textures, and you rendred them very well. I'm glad you toned this, as I've been told that toning did not work that fine on RC paper, but yours looks great.

Thanks !

Many thanks for the compliment Laurent. I did know RC paper may not produce good toning so that is why I did it.

Rob Skeoch
02-18-2011, 09:01 AM
These are the ones that I've received this week.
Mike Fagan's Lake Cawndilla Park, what a great tree.
Vyshemirsky's Opium, nice close up work
Gurkenprinz's Second Life, such a great face on the shovel
Matt Malton's Tree and Pond, such a nice feel to the image. Was that a real deer or a lawn deer?

piu58
02-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Today I received "Opium" from vyshemirsky. I enjoy the print very much. Thank you.

meltronic
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi Rob. I'm glad the postcard came through. That was a real deer. I got a couple of shots before she found me too unnerving to stay. That pond is on the grounds of a computer parts manufacturer here in Austin. I stopped a couple days later to take more photos but got chased off by security who took me for some kind of corporate espionage agent. Matt

Laurent
02-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Today I received :

meltronic's deer. Very nice vintage look for this print, I really like this, as I like the scene ! Well done.

This round's mystery card (I can't read the signature) titled "Whelock VT 2010". Interesting view of various wood textures.

Thanks !

hpulley
02-19-2011, 06:54 AM
I got Chris' Second Life, very cool! Thanks. My first one.

I still haven't finished addressing mine, sorry...

piu58
02-19-2011, 07:47 AM
I received Rüdigers pinhole camera shot from the interior of teh Frauenkirche in Dresden. The image gives a great idea of light - it is flooded by light.

Ich habe mich sehr gefreut, vielen Dank.

Moopheus
02-19-2011, 10:43 AM
They've started to show up here too. Nice to get something besides junk and bills in the mail. Mostly they seem to be surviving the trip pretty well, though one or two got barcoded on the front by the post office. Oxleyroad got stickered, but it was removable.

What do you guys do for storage/display of received cards? I'd think after a couple of rounds you'd have quite a pile.

paul_c5x4
02-19-2011, 10:53 AM
After posting in the relevant thread that a card has arrived so that the sender can tick it off, I pop mine in a small photo album.

MattKing
02-19-2011, 12:47 PM
After posting in the relevant thread that a card has arrived so that the sender can tick it off, I pop mine in a small photo album.

As do I, along with an adjacent photocopy of the back of the card.

meltronic
02-19-2011, 08:22 PM
I received three cards today. What a bonanza! Thank you folks.

Moopheus's Street Sweeper - One of those objects I would never think of photographing in detail. Nice work. It gives me ideas for object studies. I've been sitting here framing different parts of your image to see what other compositions I can get out of it.

Dave Martiny's Untitled Plant - I must say I've taken a lot of similar shots of agave-type plant close-ups here in Austin. I like yours much better than anything I've taken. You hit the composition just right and printed it very well. I love the white outline of each leaf bleeding into the white border. I'm liking this print more and more. I want to see it at 8x10.

Oxleyroad's Footprint, Sand and Pebbles - Assuming you're one of the 25 people I sent prints to, you'll see one more example of continuous scratches in the emulsion. I don't let them bother me. This is a very nice image. Your wide print format works well to show the full transition from pebbles to sand while keeping the highlight footprint as the center of attention.

5stringdeath
02-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Doing my printing tonight .. given that Monday is a Federal holiday I don't suppose the USPS will do anything with them until Tuesday :-)

Received my first today from Moopheus ... not a street sweeper? Mine is a beautiful landscape / wall study -- so I assume various images were made for different people.

Excited as they have started to come in .. this is my first postcard exchange.

ozphoto
02-20-2011, 03:35 AM
This round I'm putting every card up on the pin-board at my local coffee shop - so the regulars can see some "real" photography!!
Going to be a couple of weeks before I can post about receiving cards - off on another couple of photoshoots here in Thailand.

Moopheus
02-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Received my first today from Moopheus ... not a street sweeper? Mine is a beautiful landscape / wall study -- so I assume various images were made for different people.

I made a few different ones. This is the first time I've done "mass production" of prints. I could usually get done 10-12 prints each time I had some time to print.

Black Dog
02-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Fisherman by Johnnywalker-a lovely picture and I'd say you certainly got the better deal.

Pastoral Scene by Meltronic-amazing light and subtle reflections.

Footprints, Sand and Pebbles by Oxleyroad-hardly noticed the scratch as the rest of the print is so beautiful!

Rubbish by Fleath-lovely paper and subtle detail.

Pub Celebrations by Gurkenprinz-don't mention the score..

Jaguar by Paul 5x4-leaping straight out of the print at you.

Opium by Vlad-beautiful contrasts of dark and light details.

Mike Wilde 3-3 splendid efforts which show just what can be done with apparently mundane details.

gurkenprinz
02-21-2011, 06:46 AM
Hi,

last week I received Footprint, Sand and Pebbles by Oxleyroad, which I enjoy looking at very much. A calm, beautifully toned and well balanced shot printed to an unusual size.. Love it! My girlfriend too, she said something like "this looks like the pictures you can buy at IKEA", which - coming from a girl with a rather pragmatical approach as to what makes a good photo - is quite a compliment!

kraker
02-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Before I fall too far behind, it is time to comment on the cards I received so far:

gurkenprinz: Great print, the "layered" shades of grey at the top (the arcs), the movement of the people; I feel drawn into the scene. One question, though: Fuji Superia? C-41 developed in B&W, or developed in C-41 and printed in B&W?
Mike Wilde: set of three. I don't believe I had ever handled single weight FB paper before; there's something quite extraordinary to it. My favourite of the three is Leo's Fish & Chips. It's a "quiet" scene, but also one where a lot is going on. Very interesting.
Oxleyroad: Great shot, really like the composition, and the "widescreen" format really fits here. The "watermark" is a nice touch. Where can I get one of those (with another name on it, don't worry)?

And two cards received on my birthday :):

Dave Martiny: There's hope for me yet. I just need to get a bit more desperate, I guess. This is a wonderful, (almost) abstract shot. I like it a lot.
rst: Not having a tripod with you is no problem. I actually think I like it better this way. Lovely shot, the lines, the curves, and quite sharp for a pinhole shot. Every round you surprise me with these great Zero2000 shots, every time I think: I should use mine more often, but still it is gathering dust... :(

Well, I haven't printed my cards yet, I haven't decided on what to print yet, perhaps I haven't even produced the negative yet.

So... note to self: maybe a Zero2000 shot for this round...?

Thanks, all of you, for a great start of this round.